BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography

Mporium BMW

07-18-2011, 01:13 AM   #1
oneintheory
no longer a BMW owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Ford Edge Sport

hey guys, long time no see.

hey, guys. my name's josh. i used to be pretty active on here...about a year and a half ago, if not more. i had a montego 135i convertible.

while i was on here, i was just starting out in photography. i remember quite a few of the names of the guys on here, and there's certainly a whole bunch of awesome photogs here. i remember alex starting up autophotog, i joined there and was there while it was at least a little active. then i started becoming more active on local forums (I live in VA Beach, VA.) I was always more active in this section of the forum than anywhere else...but then last May I sold my car.

i bought this for the space and reliability...while it's no BMW, it's still fun.

anyway, a lot has changed since then. i used to manage a car wash. last summer, i got pretty sick...had issues with partial complex seizures and migraine related vertigo. the end result was that I couldn't (and still can't) do intense manual labor in the heat, so I had to quit the car wash. photography has been a passion of mine for a little while now, and that's when it really picked up. i started working for a small company doing school & sports photography doing candids and action shots as a way to boost my resume and get industry experience. i was still a full time student at christopher newport university. my passion and drive is in portraiture photography, and really not much else. I used to go in several different directions, but portraiture is what I want to do.

so, since last november, i've opened up a small studio and built up a decent business for myself working with models and other various clients in the area. nothing major, but enough to pay the bills along with the other job. i only started working with off camera flash last november. exclusively used my speedlites until about April, then I started using 'Bees. Bought my own in late may/early june. i mostly process using lightroom3, occasionally portrait pro 10. i'm a very WYSIWYG kinda guy, i mostly only do RAW enhancements and facial enhancements (not always very well), only opening photoshop if I really really have to.

i dropped out of CNU...hated it. i can't stand the typical college experience, i mostly associate with older people. i'm 21 and can't stand many people my age. maybe i'm just a dick...haha.

anyway, i'm now in the process of transferring to the Brooks Institute to get a degree in photography. it's a pretty major change, and I understand that a lot of people don't care for the school at all. what it comes down to for me is that I need a bachelor's degree (especially to please my family). I don't think I can motivate myself to complete at another 4 year school. I've tried 2 already...but Brooks, I can do. if i fail as a photographer, I have a job with my family no matter what kind of bachelor's i have.

on to the current gear list:
Canon 5Dii.
Canon 1DiiN.
Canon 70-200 2.8L
Canon 24-70L
Canon 17-40L
Canon 35L
Canon 135L
Canon 50 1.4
Canon 100 2.8 Macro
3x Speedlite 430exii
1x Speedlite 580exii

Paul C. Buff stuff...
2x B800
1x B1600
1x ABR800
Giant Softbox
Large Softbox
Medium Gridded Octabox
Gridded Stripbox
Vagabond Mini Lithium

DIY Beauty Dish (pretty awesome, I'd recommend anyone try and make one if they could use it. pretty rewarding.)

5x PW Plus II
6x Yongnuo RF-602

a bunch of stands, a couple pelican cases, and the usual studio stuff round it out.

so...enough talk. here's some of my work since I was last here. comments, critique welcomed. i've got a lot to learn. if anyone wants to see more, you can go to flickr.com/jsophoto. i obviously can't share it all here, but talking and sharing with other photogs is always awesome. if anyone on here is in VA, check out www.vaphotogs.org

*also, i know my watermark can be kinda annoying, please just disregard it. i changed it up recently.

last summer, puerto rico.

last summer. East Coast Surf Championship.

Rapper Big Sean performing at the University of Virginia

snow day.

Last edited by oneintheory; 07-18-2011 at 02:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 01:14 AM   #2
oneintheory
no longer a BMW owner
United_States
Rep

ex-girlfriend.

first ever studio session...small-time rapper from VA.

a little BTS.

i have a penchant for dark, sharply lit portraits.

ring.

local model and Miss VA Intercontinental...I work with her a lot.

sample of the sort of thing i do for my day job.

dark.

urban exploring...abandoned school.

Last edited by oneintheory; 07-18-2011 at 01:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 01:14 AM   #3
oneintheory
no longer a BMW owner
United_States
Rep

not an HDR. abandoned house in VA.

Belle Isle Abandoned Hydro-Electric Power Plant(Richmond, VA)

DIY Trashcan Lid BD

DIY BD that I actually use...

hair and makeup fashion show I shot with a freshly broken clavicle. one of the most difficult experiences of my life.

UE with a model.

Last edited by oneintheory; 07-18-2011 at 01:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 02:03 AM   #4
oneintheory
no longer a BMW owner
United_States
Rep

now getting into my more recent work.

Sieara...another model I work a lot with.

Grandfather's tombstone in Arlington National.

my family together for once on a recent vacation.

The Cloister Belle

my little studio space. some of it, at least.

finally, me...the little man behind the camera. goofing off at a recent work shoot.

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 07:01 AM   #5
MATT0404
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Great shots!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 09:48 AM   #6
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Welcome back Josh. Nice shooting.
      07-18-2011, 11:57 AM   #7
rodi
. . .
Rep
Drives: your FACE!

i think photography school is a waste of money, and you should save it. there's nothing they're going to teach you that you can't learn on your own. and for free.

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 12:47 PM   #8
1013mm
aka 1013MM
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: pokingly flush

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
i think photography school is a waste of money, and you should save it. there's nothing they're going to teach you that you can't learn on your own. and for free.
agree.

I like this photo...

07-18-2011, 12:50 PM   #9
oneintheory
no longer a BMW owner
United_States
Rep

Quote:
well i have to go to school, and i'm going to spend money anywhere i go. i don't expect to become some fantastic or amazing photographer with job offers coming out of the pooper after graduating, i just don't want to go to another lib. arts school.

i just got my tshirt from you, john.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 01:23 PM   #10
rodi
. . .
Rep

why do you have to go to school??

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 01:23 PM   #11
E90SoFlo
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Good shit

/Thumbs up

I need a ringlight =[
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 01:41 PM   #12
oneintheory
no longer a BMW owner
United_States
Rep

Quote:
why do you have to go to school??
Call it family pressure. We have a pretty big "small" business in the area that one day I'll probably have a hand in running. If I don't get a degree...I can't do that. I only chose Brooks because so much time is spent shooting and actually working hands-on, rather than sitting in a classroom. That gives me ample opportunity to learn on my own.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 01:51 PM   #13
rodi
. . .
Rep

family paying for it too then?

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 02:43 PM   #14
oneintheory
no longer a BMW owner
United_States
Rep

i have 23,000 left in a college trust. looking at about 130,000 in student loans.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 02:52 PM   #15
rodi
. . .
Rep

ugh. and you want to waste more money on photography school?

go offer to do internships with established artists in your area. go read and learn with the plethora of FREE photography information on the internet.

why pay for what you can do on your own for free?

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 03:00 PM   #16
oneintheory
no longer a BMW owner
United_States
Rep

there's only really one established fashion/commercial/editorial photographer in my area, and he's moving soon. there's not much real opportunity for internship. i could move somewhere else and do an internship while working, but that's a pretty huge risk, and i have nothing to come back to. if i don't go to school, i get cut off. that's ultimately what it boils down to. i don't know...130k in student loans seems big now, but having a degree provides me the ability to make millions (even if i'm miserable doing it, like everyone else seems to be).

*why pay for what you can do for free:
the internet doesn't provide real experiences and connections, and neither does my area code.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 03:52 PM   #17
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneintheory View Post
... i don't know...130k in student loans seems big now, but having a degree provides me the ability to make millions (even if i'm miserable doing it, like everyone else seems to be)...
I hope that's sacasm that I read. If not, then there's a disconnect with reality.

Making millions has more to do with DNA, drive, ingenuity, creativity, etc. than having a degree. A degree in an "arts" major makes the likelyhood of millions even more remote for all but the elite.

Apparently you've got some DNA. Maybe you should study something related to your family's business so that you'll be able to contribute when the time comes. A double major in something practical and an arts degree will only take an extra semester or two, if you plan appropriately.

Dave
      07-18-2011, 03:52 PM   #18
rodi
. . .
Rep

get a marketing/business degree while learning how to shoot and be creative and produce the quality of images that you are striving for.
photo school is just going to teach you a bunch of technical shit that you can learn on your own for free by spending some time on the internet. you've got plenty of gear it looks like, that you can do your own hands-on real experiences. you're just wanting to pay someone to teach you how to walk when you can use that money, instead, on learning how to walk on your own. and i guarantee you the latter will be much more rewarding.

no one in your area? perfect - fricking take over! local publications, small business owners, offbeat local newspapers with articles needing produced photos (not PJ), any fashion schools in your area? i bet you there are high school seniors whose parents would pay $$ for some original photos. anything where people are producing something that could be better marketed with some good imagery??

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 03:55 PM   #19
E90SoFlo
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

^^ I got a business marketing degree instead of going to The Art institute.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 06:53 PM   #20
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Call it family pressure. We have a pretty big "small" business in the area that one day I'll probably have a hand in running. If I don't get a degree...I can't do that. I only chose Brooks because so much time is spent shooting and actually working hands-on, rather than sitting in a classroom. That gives me ample opportunity to learn on my own.
I feel ya bro. I got an industrial design degree from the AI. Learned that i was probably gonna be a draftsman for some time and that the pay blows. 1 year after graduating i was working in the family business making 3 times what i would have as an industrial designer. 13 years later i'm at the helm during what seems to be a nice upswing in our industry.

I'm not in love with what i do, but i make enough to have too many hobbies. I look at working in the family business as a means to building wealth and early retirement, while having enough spending money to do photography, paddle board, mtn bike, snowboard, etc....

I wish i could turn my passions into a good living, but i'm also scared that once i turn something i love into a business that i'll learn to hate it..... idk, maybe that won't happen, but it's a real concern of mine and i've seen it happen with friends.

Don't get me wrong.... if i were a photog that people were seeking out for photos and i could pick and choose what i shoot and for who.... that would be awesome. But soliciting work.... weddings, year book, portraits to make ends meet would seem to kill what ever love i have for photography.

Great photos btw!
      07-19-2011, 12:41 AM   #21
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: white 135

great shots, keep up the good work, and good luck with the difficult life choices!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 01:08 AM   #22
scollins
Bootleggin' 'n Gunrunnin'
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i

Quote:

last summer. East Coast Surf Championship.
GREAT example of how a telephoto lens can compress an image. That boat looks like it is going to run the surfer over!
2013 Ducati Multistrada Touring S, Red
Appreciate 0