BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

European Auto Source (EAS)

05-27-2013, 06:42 PM   #1
dmw16
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2005 ///M3

Installing Chatterbox in my helmet

For anyone here who has installed the full face chatterbox in their helmet what did you use to hold their ear piece speakers in? The included sticky backed Velcro doesn't really work.

Also, did you find a comfortable spot for the speakers? It seems like ideally they'd go where the chin straps are. So I guess I just have to deal.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2013, 07:54 PM   #2
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
I simply did a small cut in the helmet liner fabric to insert the speakers in place. The fit is snug enough that they hold in place without having to use the adhesive tapes. I fitted the speakers right above the strap anchors, the fit is perfect as they sit directly over my ears. The mic was trickier to install because I had to route the wire inside the liner, but it still worked out pretty well.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 07:05 AM   #3
dmw16
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
I simply did a small cut in the helmet liner fabric to insert the speakers in place. The fit is snug enough that they hold in place without having to use the adhesive tapes. I fitted the speakers right above the strap anchors, the fit is perfect as they sit directly over my ears. The mic was trickier to install because I had to route the wire inside the liner, but it still worked out pretty well.
I debated cutting the liner but was hesitant that it wouldn't yield good results and I'd be left with a hole in my helmet liner. But hearing that you had success going that route I think I'll do that.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 07:23 AM   #4
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmw16 View Post
I debated cutting the liner but was hesitant that it wouldn't yield good results and I'd be left with a hole in my helmet liner. But hearing that you had success going that route I think I'll do that.

Thanks.
Cutting the liner is definitely the best option for a seamless integration of the chatter box system. I have done this in 3 different helmets all with great results
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 09:27 PM   #5
dmw16
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Cutting the liner is definitely the best option for a seamless integration of the chatter box system. I have done this in 3 different helmets all with great results
Well it's done. I wish it looked awesome but at least it's comfortable. The mic install is a little rough and I couldn't figure out a way to attach the "sock" for the mic. Not sure if that matters much?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 11:01 PM   #6
leo95se
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 e92 M3, '15 F15 X5d

speakers are shoved into the side holes, they sit out of the way. mic is in front of face. its annoying since its right up on my mouth, but seems to work well. i used a piece of electric tape to hold the wire down. ghetto but it works.. lol
Appreciate 0