BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BPM

08-01-2008, 07:43 AM   #23
argonboy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 Space Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAJ View Post
Confirmed with BMW

front 34 11 2 283 764
rear 34 21 2 283 366

The Canadian dealer I asked about them said "No problem - it's a factory order and they'll $1500 or so for both axles". At the moment the fronts are out of stock at the factory, but that doesn't mean much - they could arrive any day.

I just did a track day on Tuesday, and for the moment I'm thinking that braking earlier is way cheaper than racing pads. The stock brakes are remarkably good if you look after them.
I looked up the part numbers on Tischer. They only have the rears (34 21 2 283 366) showing for $323 and they also have the 34 21 2 283 365 (subtract 1 from the part number) and they show up as front pads for $432, but even the OEM ones are not in sequence, so it doesn't mean anything.

I checked on BMWfans.info
and it gives diff part numbers for OEM pads which Tischer also carries, for $156 and $103 respectively.

If anyone can shed some light on this. Which are the OEM numbers? Anyway, it's interesting that at least those rear pads are available on Tischer.
      08-02-2008, 01:54 AM   #24
JAJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by argonboy View Post
I looked up the part numbers on Tischer. They only have the rears (34 21 2 283 366) showing for $323 and they also have the 34 21 2 283 365 (subtract 1 from the part number) and they show up as front pads for $432, but even the OEM ones are not in sequence, so it doesn't mean anything.

I checked on BMWfans.info
and it gives diff part numbers for OEM pads which Tischer also carries, for $156 and $103 respectively.

If anyone can shed some light on this. Which are the OEM numbers? Anyway, it's interesting that at least those rear pads are available on Tischer.
The BMW Performance rear pads for the E9x M3 were originally produced for the E6x M5 and M6. All three models use the same rear caliper so the Performance pads are interchangeable. They've been available for a few years so they're in the parts system already.

The E9x M3 sport front pads are unique (although they would actually fit the 335i) and they're new so they are not yet in the parts system worldwide. However, I've confirmed with BMW that the part numbers I quoted in the earlier post are correct. If you're in Europe you can get them through the dealer network and they're reasonably priced. If you're in the USA, a US dealer told me straight out that NEITHER front nor rears are available in the US even if the part numbers do come up as valid in the BMW parts system. In Canada, it's hybrid - the dealer will buy them from BMW in Germany at full retail, double the price and resell them to you. Expensive, but at least it's better than "NO".

Did that help you?

Last edited by JAJ; 08-02-2008 at 11:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2008, 02:45 PM   #25
argonboy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The BMW Performance rear pads for the E9x M3 were originally produced for the E6x M5 and M6. All three models use the same rear caliper so the Performance pads are interchangeable. They've been available for a few years so they're in the parts system already.

The E9x M3 sport front pads are unique (although they would actually fit the 335i) and they're new so they are not yet in the parts system worldwide. However, I've confirmed with BMW that the part numbers I quoted in the earlier post are correct. If you're in Europe you can get them through the dealer network and they're reasonably priced. If you're in the USA, a US dealer told me straight out that NEITHER front nor rears are available in the US even if the part numbers do come up as valid in the BMW parts system. In Canada, it's hybrid - the dealer will buy them from BMW in Germany at full retail, double the price and resell them to you. Expensive, but at least it's better than "NO".

Did that help you?
Great, thanks. I'll ask the parts department next week. I only trust one guy from there, so I'd rather come with my own part numbers. I'm at 8700km, and I'm starting to imagine the brakes aren't the same as they used to be.

I know how loud they are, so I'm not sure how livable that will be, especially for 90% city driving.
      08-04-2008, 06:41 PM   #26
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [8.50]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [10.00]
Quote:
If the PFC-01 dust gets wet and then you leave it on for a while it will etch itself into most wheel paints and form a hard lump called "cementite". When you remove cementite it usually leaves a mark or even takes the paint right off.

Well, I just pulled out one of my track wheels and wiped the inside of the wheel clean with a paper towel and a little all purpose household cleaner. Most of the dust just wipes off, but, some looks like it's stuck on. Not a lot, but enough to bother anyone who likes to keep their wheels extra clean.

These wheels were run on the street with PF01s, through rain, shine, whatever. So I'm thinking you have to get them wet while they are very hot in order to make the dust stick. Maybe it has something to do with the kind of finish on the wheels. These are BBS forged mags which are strictly designed to be track wheels. Perhaps the finish is more resistant to brake dust.

I used to run (name withheld to protect the guilty) pads on an old 2002 race car I had. Those wheels had deposits that a jackhammer wouldn't take off.

Dinan compliment of stuff plus PF rotors and RG63s. Enough for now.
Why, yes. I am an abrasive bastard.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2008, 08:15 PM   #27
sfbimmer13
Original Bavarian Heritage
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 DCT

I just received news from my former BMW dealer in Germany and was old that the front pads are currently not available and should be back in stock mid October - the prices are Euro 355 front and Euro 260 rear...I also confirmed that BMW NA can not officially order them
      04-06-2009, 04:02 PM   #28
argonboy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Reviving an old thread...

For the people running these pads:
1. How are they after a few months? Are they as loud as I remember from fahrertraining?
2. Did you have to get rotors at the same time? According to realOEM you would have to order those as well.
      04-07-2009, 12:22 AM   #29
JAJ
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by argonboy View Post
Reviving an old thread...

For the people running these pads:
1. How are they after a few months? Are they as loud as I remember from fahrertraining?
2. Did you have to get rotors at the same time? According to realOEM you would have to order those as well.
I'm not running the BMW Sport pads, but I did cross-check the required rotor part numbers and my Canadian car came with the correct rotors installed from the factory.

REALOEM.COM shows a different rotor set for the M3 as well, but it's not clear what the difference is, except that you're not supposed to use them for track pads.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2009, 03:12 PM   #30
M3 M3
Rep
Drives: White M3

Just get the Pagids 8053 & 8021 from Rennstore.com, I did - they are one hell of a pad.
I'm on about my 5th track day with them. No I don't work for Pagid.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2009, 04:08 PM   #31
Speedtrap
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: A very fast car :)

Thats great - will call them tomorrow. How much did you pay for it?

Quote:
Confirmed with BMW

front 34 11 2 283 764
rear 34 21 2 283 366

The US dealer I asked about them said they're Europe-only and not available from BMWNA.

The Canadian dealer I asked about them said "No problem - it's a factory order and they'll $1500 or so for both axles". At the moment the fronts are out of stock at the factory, but that doesn't mean much - they could arrive any day.

I just did a track day on Tuesday, and for the moment I'm thinking that braking earlier is way cheaper than racing pads. The stock brakes are remarkably good if you look after them.
      04-13-2009, 04:11 PM   #32
Speedtrap
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: A very fast car :)

Quote:

Did that help you?
Do you mean that the pads for the E60 M5 is the same as the E9x M3? If so, they are not as expensive as mentioned.
      04-14-2009, 11:07 PM   #33
JAJ
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedtrap View Post
Do you mean that the pads for the E60 M5 is the same as the E9x M3? If so, they are not as expensive as mentioned.
As far as the mechanical dimensions are concerned:

The rear pad for the E60 M5 is the same as rear pad for the E9x M3.

The front pad for the E9x 335i is the same as the front pad for the E9x M3 but is NOT the same as the front pad for the E60 M5.

Only half of a set of sport pads for the M3 are interchangeable with the M5 - just the rear pads.

The prices I was quoted were in Canada in Canadian dollars. I believe the sport pad sets are about half that price in Europe.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2009, 05:51 PM   #34
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

I read an interview on bmwblog.com (or bimmerfile.com can't recall) with the head of BMW Performance parts in the US. He mentioned that in the near future (perhaps as soon as this summer), various "Motorsport" items will be available in the US.

He mentioned limited slips I believe (perhaps for cars that don't have them) and specifically M3 race pads. We'll find out soon enough I guess...
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2009, 10:38 PM   #35
M3 M3
Rep
Drives: White M3

Have a link? I need some more goods for the 3.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2009, 09:52 AM   #36
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 M3 View Post
Have a link? I need some more goods for the 3.
Are you asking me?

Here: http://www.bimmerfile.com/2009/04/03...epf/#more-2640

If you want to read about the Motorsport items, scroll all the way towards the last few paragraphs.

But it makes for interesting reading anyway...
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2009, 03:35 PM   #37
bher
Enlisted Member
Belgium
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - 6MT - SSII

Quote:
Confirmed with BMW

front 34 11 2 283 764
rear 34 21 2 283 366

I am happy to let you know I ordered those front pads and get them in Belgium for 388 euros plus tax in 2 weeks.

I changed the front discs also. My question is about the running in of those pads as I am going to a track day 130ml (200 km) from my house this saturday and I am not sure the speedway is the best place to run them in....
I am also too busy at work to really drive (commute) more than 4 x 10 mls in the city till saturday.

I certainly don't want to spoil the new pads and agree to cancel or delay the track day it if it is really necessary but I had to much vibration while braking to do not change the discs. I just did not expect the dealer to do it so close from the track day.

Thanks in advance for any info.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2009, 04:06 PM   #38
blownturbo
Rep
Drives: rx8

I am now running the stock brake system with BMW performance pads, front and rear.

I do not get more than 2 track days with the fronts, but the stopping power is totally adequate for fast laps.

The downside is they EAT rotors like burgers. I should be repacing my front rotors with my third set of front pads.

Most of my track buddies are running APs or brembos and, I really don't see that much of a difference in braking power.

Although, I do see a huge difference in rotor life. Theirs, seem to cope a lot better with track abuse. Pads go away all the same.
Appreciate 0