BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

03-14-2011, 04:11 AM   #287
Augenbrauezug
Captain
Rep
Drives: mk6 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mega Man View Post
I just felt another earthquake. It felt like a car slamming into the side of the house.
Stay safe man!!!!!!!
Straight PIITB. Then eat dumplings.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 04:15 AM   #288
iBoost
Retired e90post Member
Rep
Drives: real slow

wow this is devastating, i really hope this comes to an end soon... god bless all the ppl at risk.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 04:50 AM   #289
Mega Man
エアーマンが倒せない
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
To those of you interested, have friends or family here, or just interested in following the earthquakes, etc. Here is updated (everytime there's an earthquake) website, Japan's Meteorological Agency's site in English.

If you're too lazy too look, this is specificially about earthquakes.

Ibaraki-ken (ken 「県」 means prefecture) just had a 4.8 at 6:07pm JST. That was the earthquake I felt earlier.

No one else around where I live is doing it, so I feel like the paranoid crazy guy (anyone play Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion?) because I'm keeping my car stocked with a bag of long lasting food, some large bottles of water, a flashlight, and some batteries. Well, I'd rather be prepared and nothing happen, than something happen and not be prepared. Best case scenario, nothing happens and I have a lot of junk food to eat (Snickers).

I don't know how no one else can be stocking up just a little; I mean we've heard a 70% chance of another 7.0+ in the next couple of days, and 50% over the course of 4 days. Am I over-reacting?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 04:54 AM   #290
jhv
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

not at all wtf. i'd be doing the exact same thing if i were in your position. hopefully more people are preparing like you
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 04:56 AM   #291
iBoost
Retired e90post Member
Rep
Drives: real slow

I dont think youre over reacting at all! like you said better safe then sorry.. i would be going nuts man.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 07:12 AM   #292
Mega Man
エアーマンが倒せない
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Not to add to my paranoia, but the weather is kind of strange right now. It was really cold just a couple of days ago. Yesterday was cold, but not as cold, and tonight is hot! The air is strangely still outside. It's odd that it just suddenly became hot and slightly humid.

I think I remember hearing something about hot weather, or sudden weather changes, and humid weather correlating with earthquakes! Can anyone confirm this?

It's 9pm now, but it's scary to think about sleeping and something falling on you, like your ceiling!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 08:21 AM   #293
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP 6MT, R55 Clubman S 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougLikesBMW View Post

Quote:
Not to add to my paranoia, but the weather is kind of strange right now. It was really cold just a couple of days ago. Yesterday was cold, but not as cold, and tonight is hot! The air is strangely still outside. It's odd that it just suddenly became hot and slightly humid.

I think I remember hearing something about hot weather, or sudden weather changes, and humid weather correlating with earthquakes! Can anyone confirm this?

It's 9pm now, but it's scary to think about sleeping and something falling on you, like your ceiling!
That does seem odd bro, but I'm glad to see that you're still okay! I dug this up online for you:

Geologists maintain that there is no connection between weather and earthquakes. They are the result of geologic processes within the earth and can happen in any weather and at any time during the year. Earthquakes originate miles underground. Wind, precipitation, temperature, and barometric pressure changes affect only the surface and shallow subsurface of the Earth. Earthquakes are focused at depths well out of the reach of weather, and the forces that cause earthquakes are much larger than the weather forces. Earthquakes occur in all types of weather, in all climate zones, in all seasons of the year, and at any time of day.

My delivery experience and beach photoshoot here.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 08:53 AM   #294
shockin330i
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 ZCP M3

Quote:

Haarp....
      03-14-2011, 09:51 AM   #295
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Quote:

I had that experience when I was a kid in Taiwan. The air turns muggy, humid, can't breathe, and weather turns hot and unbearable. Then the earthquake hits.

Again in SoCal last year, sometime last year the weather was cool throughout the week. Then one day the weather turned warm and on the same night...a 4.5 hit nearby in the middle of the night.

These are not scientifically proven, but people do say its "shake and bake"...

But I wonder just a few days before the earthquake, there were millions of sardine rushed to Redondo beach and died, if that's related to the earthquake somewhat?
Could they be sensing some sort of "frequency" and swam away from the origin?

We know Japan has the Earthquake Early Warning System, but of course the natural instinct of animals can always sense something disastrous in advance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earthqu...Warning_(Japan)
      03-14-2011, 11:35 AM   #296
BcuzAWD
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: with E85 on 22psi at 475tq

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
I had that experience when I was a kid in Taiwan. The air turns muggy, humid, can't breathe, and weather turns hot and unbearable. Then the earthquake hits.

Again in SoCal last year, sometime last year the weather was cool throughout the week. Then one day the weather turned warm and on the same night...a 4.5 hit nearby in the middle of the night.

These are not scientifically proven, but people do say its "shake and bake"...

But I wonder just a few days before the earthquake, there were millions of sardine rushed to Redondo beach and died, if that's related to the earthquake somewhat?
Could they be sensing some sort of "frequency" and swam away from the origin?

We know Japan has the Earthquake Early Warning System, but of course the natural instinct of animals can always sense something disastrous in advance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earthqu...Warning_(Japan)

As I grew up I've also heard of that "earthquake weather" from many parents, teachers, and friends. Nothing with scientific proof supports this but I know many that believe this too. Stay strong Mega man and I wish you the best. I've donated and asked all my friends and family to donate whatever they can. It's insane what's going on over there now with the nuclear reactors. I'll be praying for Japan.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 12:09 PM   #297
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

Three fuel rods exposed and melting. The effects on land and water are going to be horrible.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42066534...s-asiapacific/
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 12:17 PM   #298
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuned1 View Post
Three fuel rods exposed and melting. The effects on land and water are going to be horrible.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42066534...s-asiapacific/
Only there's a breach of containment, and so far that hasn't happened. Right now they're looking at a bunch of dead reactors that will just sit there forever. If the core breaks containment then things get ugly for the environment.
      03-14-2011, 12:18 PM   #299
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP 6MT, R55 Clubman S 6MT

my god..

My delivery experience and beach photoshoot here.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 12:19 PM   #300
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep
Drives: fast, sometimes slow

The sad part is that this particular plant was SUPPOSED to have been decommissioned in February, but JUST got a 10 year extension of life. Talk about bad call ... to be fair, I doubt they could have just shut it off in February, but at least it would have been on its way to termination as opposed to full-on operation
      03-14-2011, 12:24 PM   #301
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim View Post
The sad part is that this particular plant was SUPPOSED to have been decommissioned in February, but JUST got a 10 year extension of life. Talk about bad call ... to be fair, I doubt they could have just shut it off in February, but at least it would have been on its way to termination as opposed to full-on operation
I'm not sure about the "shut down procedure", but definitely not power generating and the station is slowing down the reaction of the fuel rods if they had shut down back in February.
      03-14-2011, 12:26 PM   #302
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
I'm not sure about the "shut down procedure", but definitely not power generating and the station is slowing down the reaction of the fuel rods if they had shut down back in February.
They would have been cooler (probably? a bit ignorant here) so less "effort" would have been needed to cool them down. I assume, that is - I could be completely wrong and it may not have made any difference at all.
      03-14-2011, 12:43 PM   #303
335e92tx
ahat
Rep
Drives: Was '07-335e92 - Now '13-335IS

Did not see this posted -

Before and after pics - slide the bar left /right -
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/inte...fore-and-after

My bad - I see something similar in #257.

'13 335IS N54 (1 of 373 LeMans Blue out of 3597 total production e92)- Grey interior (1 of 24 in LMB with any trans- 1 of 14 with DCT)-MODS -MFactory LSD/MHD-BQ custom Tune/ATM-IC/AFE Momentum GT Intake/Konis/Mfront&HeimJoint Rear rods&arms/Brembos.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Lo6aHZRo7XqtPkhL8

Last edited by 335e92tx; 03-14-2011 at 01:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 12:46 PM   #304
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim View Post
They would have been cooler (probably? a bit ignorant here) so less "effort" would have been needed to cool them down. I assume, that is - I could be completely wrong and it may not have made any difference at all.
Depends on how sensitive and delicate the shut down procedure is, just a guess.

But we're just saying this after the fact, in hindsight. Hope they can get the reactors under control and prevent them further destruction.
      03-14-2011, 01:42 PM   #305
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

if anyone is LOOKING TO DONATE like i was, giving money to the american red cross is going to do NOTHING to help japan. all you'll be doing is stuffing their coffers. the japanese government hasn't asked for almost any american aid except help from our navy and a few of our advanced S&R teams. let's not forget that japan is a very advanced country, unlike haiti, and has many of their own resources. but, if you really want your donation to reach japan, donate to the JAPANESE RED CROSS. google has setup a place to do so, in JPY. http://www.google.com/crisisresponse...quake2011.html

also, if you'd like to go a bit farther, supplies are needed. they really need: foods (instant foods, dietary supplements, baby foods), warm blankets (the north part of japan is still really cold now), clothing, baby clothing, and diapers.

various places to send stuff to:
Attn: Earthquake relief supplies, Miyagi Prefectural Office 3-8-1, Honcho Aoba-ku, Sendai City, Miyagi 980-8570, JAPAN
Attn: Earthquake relief supplies, Iwate Prefectural Office 10-1 Uchimaru Morioka city, Iwate 020-8570, JAPAN
Attn: Earthquake relief supplies, Aomori Prefectural Office 1-1-1 Nagashima, Aomori city, Aomori, 030-8570, JAPAN
Attn: Earthquake relief supplies, Fukushima Prefectural Office 2-16 Sugitsuma-cho, Fukushima City 960-8670, JAPAN
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 01:47 PM   #306
skinnycow
condoms prevent minivans
United_States
Rep
Drives: Batmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
if anyone is LOOKING TO DONATE like i was, giving money to the american red cross is going to do NOTHING to help japan. all you'll be doing is stuffing their coffers. the japanese government hasn't asked for almost any american aid except help from our navy and a few of our advanced S&R teams. let's not forget that japan is a very advanced country, unlike haiti, and has many of their own resources. but, if you really want your donation to reach japan, donate to the JAPANESE RED CROSS. google has setup a place to do so, in JPY. http://www.google.com/crisisresponse...quake2011.html

also, if you'd like to go a bit farther, supplies are needed. they really need: foods (instant foods, dietary supplements, baby foods), warm blankets (the north part of japan is still really cold now), clothing, baby clothing, and diapers.

various places to send stuff to:
Attn: Earthquake relief supplies, Miyagi Prefectural Office 3-8-1, Honcho Aoba-ku, Sendai City, Miyagi 980-8570, JAPAN
Attn: Earthquake relief supplies, Iwate Prefectural Office 10-1 Uchimaru Morioka city, Iwate 020-8570, JAPAN
Attn: Earthquake relief supplies, Aomori Prefectural Office 1-1-1 Nagashima, Aomori city, Aomori, 030-8570, JAPAN
Attn: Earthquake relief supplies, Fukushima Prefectural Office 2-16 Sugitsuma-cho, Fukushima City 960-8670, JAPAN
thanks donated.
      03-14-2011, 01:51 PM   #307
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep

I must respectfully DISAGREE with the post above regarding shipping things. Do NOT send physical goods - send money instead. why? because it will be harder for people in Japan to ship those around (storage, logistics and distribution costs) - money is far more valuable.
      03-14-2011, 02:44 PM   #308
gun6slinger9
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 428xi

^ but at the same time if they are running low on those supplies with reduced ports they might not be able to get what they need even with enough money.
Appreciate 0