BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 Marketplace > Vendor Comments/Review/Feedback Forum

06-21-2013, 03:58 PM   #1
STi_traitor
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BTG 2014 - 3 Laps

Exclamation BPM DCT Review

If anyone else feels the need to come in here and alienate my opinion on another great product from BPM please refrain from doing so and get on with your life. I understand that your beloved company has yet to get on BPM's level with DCT software........"remotely". Just take it out on them, not the ones who are enjoying it "remotely" and across the world. BPM FTW.........AGAIN!!!

I have currently had this software for a month now and wanted to give it some time before giving a review. I will first start off with the basics of what I disliked about OEM software, I really do not enjoy the OEM DCT when it comes to downshifting (engaging and disengaging the clutch) at slow speeds and taking turns. I believe this is because since I am not engaging a clutch I seem to feel what a passenger would feel in a MT car. The transmission also seems a bit jolty at times and this is something I have seen in most the DCT M3's that I have driven around so don't come in here saying that something is wrong with my car. Last but no least is the lag in "manual" downshifting when not in D mode, I hate this the most. I have had numerous times where I needed to drop three gears maybe more in a quick time but couldn't get it to that gear like a 6MT could. The lag is annoying!

Now for the meat and potatoes of what you are here for, the BPM software. I am not going to give you a wowo review. I am going to be honest and straightforward. The overall install portion was easy and took about 7 minutes to complete through my BPM OBD tuning cable. This is the same cable I use for my BPM Stage II engine tuning.

I tend to use the S mode in my car just to be a bit more connected with the car. I will say that in S mode I have grown to love settings S3 & S4 with the BPM software. S3 is used for just cruising, the shifts are not aggressive and very very smooth (easy on the clutch in my opinion but still responsive). S4 I have been using for track/spirited driving to achieve smooth and fast shifting up and down without the bucking of a bronco, this shifting is really something in my opinion. S5 & S6 are just scary fast but I don't tend to use them because I think S3 & S4 are the perfect settings. I think the majority of human population always tend to think that bigger numbers are always better but they are not in this situation. For someone like myself who tracks the car often everyone knows that S5 & S6 can be a bit like a bucking bronco. Now where there is nothing wrong with that, when it comes to track days you really don't want anything to cause disturbances to the vehicle in anyway. I would say that S5 & S6 are for the 1/4 mile guys who want extreme shifting as if there is no gear changing. Don't get me wrong, S5 & S6 are fun but I don't use them unless I am just romping the crap out of my car with friends to give them a woo factor or just to get that oh shot feeling when the clutch engages so quickly from the BPM software.

I have tracked my car at the Infamous Nurburgring numerous times and just recently (last Sunday) after having the software and all I can say is WOW! This in my opinion is where the software really shines. I have also noticed this for daily driving as well and it amazes me compared to OEM software. Starting from 5th gear and dropping it down to 2nd there is absolutely no hesitation what so ever, when I mean none I......MEAN......NONE! This is great in my opinion because there were times when I needed a lower gear than planned and the OEM DCT software lagged. This would throw off my times and momentum, no anymore with the BPM software. There have been times where I downshifted so fast that it engaged that gear before it displayed the gear on the cluster. It does all this while still retaining the safety feature of not allowing too low of a gear (I tested that too). The DCT is finally what I expected it to be in the first place when it comes to shifting, we where always faster than manual cars up shifting but now we are even faster than them down shifting more than one gear and this is awesome! I love this the most out of the upgrade but there is more to the BPM software.

I mentioned how I hate the jolt (not severe) of downshifting and while taking turns. With this software I am not going to lie to you and say that it has disappeared but it has GREATLY diminished to the point of non-exsistance. I really do appreciate that for my daily driving from light to light. The car feels almost as if I am actually engaging the clutch now. Another part that I have noticed is when the DCT is cold she is still smooth as butter and initial take offs no longer have that hesitation. The overall performance of the DCT has become much smoother. More great features are that it remembers the sport drive logic mode, it starts in D and the launch control is set at 3500RPM. This in my opinion is great because it allows a smooth launch with minimal loss of rear wheel control. As we all know this is what Mike Benvo and BPM Sport are about! My hat is off to Mike for once again bringing another great product to the people of the M3 community. Thanks Mike for the product and I can't wait for the next item you have in store.

Here is a picture of my car using the BPM Stage II software with the BPM DCT software on the Nurburgring, my over all plan was to record my cluster while doing a track day but forgot everything but my camera and I live four hours from the Ring. I can tell you that BPM Sports engine tuning and the DCT software has yet to skip a beat. The Nurburgring is the most demanding track at a length of 12.95 miles and this software really compliments the demands of the Nurburgring.

If anyone else feels the need to come in here and alienate my opinion on another great product from BPM please refrain from doing so and get on with your life. I understand that your beloved company has yet to get on BPM's level with DCT software........"remotely". Just take it out on them, not the ones who are enjoying it "remotely" and across the world. BPM FTW.........AGAIN!!!
Attached Images

Last edited by STi_traitor; 06-24-2013 at 09:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 04:15 PM   #2
Someone?
Perception is King
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Awesome review, Cant wait to get His Software's (yup with an S as in ECU, DCT)

Last edited by Someone?; 06-21-2013 at 05:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 05:57 PM   #3
Genro757
///M-Flight VP
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Frozen Red Edition E92 M3

Garage List
2013 E92 M3  [0.00]
I've been lusting for this ever since you took me for a spin in your beast! That is definitely "project next" for me....keep me us in the loop bro!!!!
      06-21-2013, 08:24 PM   #4
vinniechin
Vinnie
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 Space Gray DCT

Good read. Thank you
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 09:23 PM   #5
Longwong
Banned
Rep
Drives: e92 m3 catless

It is interesting to see the variance in people who drive these cars. I think S3 is absolutely boring. Same with S4. S5 is exciting only at WOT in the 1-2 change. S6 is really where it is at for sheer driving pleasure and you should not be going WOT into a turn ever and on the track for me it does not upset the car but rather gets it into gear the quickest and thus least upsets the car. I have never heard someone use S3 on the track. not saying its going to change track times much but it does not do anything positive that is for sure. What is important is how you feel but it is interesting and this software sounds like it is great
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 09:44 PM   #6
V8FunNaturally
Banned
Rep
Drives: Regensburg Factory E92M3

"The car feels almost as if I am actually engaging the clutch now"

After years of torture with DCT disatisfaction, one owner finally finds the missing element that they've missed all along :

A clutch pedal
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 02:11 AM   #7
STi_traitor
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longwong View Post
It is interesting to see the variance in people who drive these cars. I think S3 is absolutely boring. Same with S4. S5 is exciting only at WOT in the 1-2 change. S6 is really where it is at for sheer driving pleasure and you should not be going WOT into a turn ever and on the track for me it does not upset the car but rather gets it into gear the quickest and thus least upsets the car. I have never heard someone use S3 on the track. not saying its going to change track times much but it does not do anything positive that is for sure. What is important is how you feel but it is interesting and this software sounds like it is great
I have never used S3 on the track. In my honest opinion S4 is the best because it doesn't have the buck of S5/6. I can sacrifice the tiniest time difference in the gear changes (S5/6) to gain smooth shifting, less disturbance with practically the same speed (S4). You can go WOT into turns, this depends on the turns angle and elevation.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 04:52 AM   #8
AlpineE92M3
Currently Driving
Rep
Drives: BPM tuned '13 AW ZCP E92 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Nice review! Getting this tune shortly
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 06:52 AM   #9
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

100 % agreed and fantastic review
I love my BPM tune & DCT software too

Last edited by ///M Power-Belgium; 06-22-2013 at 04:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 09:55 PM   #10
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Glad you guys are enjoying it! We will be posting a video overview very soon

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 09:58 PM   #11
Longwong
Banned
Rep
Drives: e92 m3 catless

Quote:
Originally Posted by STi_traitor View Post
I have never used S3 on the track. In my honest opinion S4 is the best because it doesn't have the buck of S5/6. I can sacrifice the tiniest time difference in the gear changes (S5/6) to gain smooth shifting, less disturbance with practically the same speed (S4). You can go WOT into turns, this depends on the turns angle and elevation.
Maybe your tranny is broken. ther is no buck in 5 at all or 6 when shifted and driven well. Not sure what you are talking about but if yours bucks than I understand why you wouldnt use it
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 11:49 PM   #12
STi_traitor
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Maybe your tranny is broken. ther is no buck in 5 at all or 6 when shifted and driven well. Not sure what you are talking about but if yours bucks than I understand why you wouldnt use it
Sounds like your tranny is broken as well. We seem to have the same symptoms.........weird. Shifted and driven well???? Listen chief there is nothing special to shifting a DCT. You hit the f'ing paddle full throttle or not, nothing more nothing less! Take your hypocritical comments somewhere else fan boy!

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...8&postcount=68

Do a bit more research on your car and you would understand it better. Here is a great post that explains the DCT.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...5&postcount=11
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 12:15 AM   #13
BPMSport
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
It's a subjective description, his transmission is not broken...

Sti post a video of your broken transmission on the Nurburgring

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----

Last edited by BPMSport; 06-24-2013 at 12:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 01:47 AM   #14
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
What do you mean dropping three gears lags?

Don't you know you can drop to the lowest gear before smacking redline by just pressing the gas pass the kickdown and pulling back on the downshift?

From the sounds of it you don't???
      06-24-2013, 08:12 AM   #15
STi_traitor
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILSMKU View Post
What do you mean dropping three gears lags?

Don't you know you can drop to the lowest gear before smacking redline by just pressing the gas pass the kickdown and pulling back on the downshift?

From the sounds of it you don't???
I do know that by hitting the "kickdown button" it drops to the most optimal gear possible. In my opinion this is very hard on the car and transmission and seems a bit slower than using my sweet BPM Software that gets me where I need to be in no time. Another point is that I may not need the lowest gear possible and that I am stating there is more control on my part now with the car other than just hitting the "kick down button" and calling it a day. I can get to the gear I want even quicker before entering my turn on the track or maybe a regular road with this software. This would mean I am no where near the kick down button but instead applying brakes while downshifting. This if you didn't know is a great idea for when you want to reduce the amount of disturbance in the car and be in the gear you know is optimal for the turn.

From the sounds of it you don't know this.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 08:25 AM   #16
STi_traitor
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
It's a subjective description, his transmission is not broken...

Sti post a video of your broken transmission on the Nurburgring
Here you go! This is without the software but with a healthy DCT. 8:57 BTG

Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 09:49 AM   #17
Someone?
Perception is King
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Man thats^ got to be as fun as you can have in a car! Your so lucky to have that incredible track by you.
      06-24-2013, 10:21 AM   #18
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by STi_traitor View Post
I do know that by hitting the "kickdown button" it drops to the most optimal gear possible. In my opinion this is very hard on the car and transmission and seems a bit slower than using my sweet BPM Software that gets me where I need to be in no time. Another point is that I may not need the lowest gear possible and that I am stating there is more control on my part now with the car other than just hitting the "kick down button" and calling it a day. I can get to the gear I want even quicker before entering my turn on the track or maybe a regular road with this software. This would mean I am no where near the kick down button but instead applying brakes while downshifting. This if you didn't know is a great idea for when you want to reduce the amount of disturbance in the car and be in the gear you know is optimal for the turn.

From the sounds of it you don't know this.
I was just checking because I personally didn't know about it for almost 6 months when I had my DCT. They was you described it against automatic mode made it sound like you had been dropping one gear at a time. I almost thought you might not have know and was going to be in for the surprize of your life!

Last edited by BIGW0RM; 06-24-2013 at 11:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 10:41 AM   #19
babino
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3 Comp

Garage List
2021 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
Thanks for the review... but also, thanks for nothing! I'm going to have to get this on order asap. Your description of the standard DCT behavior is spot on for me as well. Now to look into that drop down feature... I feel a bit silly since I was not aware of it.

I'm jealous of your access to the ring. I picked my car up in November of 2010 and it was closed
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 10:51 AM   #20
BPMSport
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by babino View Post
Thanks for the review... but also, thanks for nothing! I'm going to have to get this on order asap. Your description of the standard DCT behavior is spot on for me as well. Now to look into that drop down feature... I feel a bit silly since I was not aware of it.

I'm jealous of your access to the ring. I picked my car up in November of 2010 and it was closed
I would have gone

All the way to Germany and a closed ring!! That's unacceptable. I do envy everyone that has access to that. Driving that for real has been a fantasy since I took an E46 CSL in Grand Turismo out on it!

Going to be ordering a 435i for my step dad so I'll get to test that out as soon as production is finished

Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 11:33 AM   #21
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lute View Post
It's f@cking unbelievable that people ....laugh and have negative comments about something they don't even know.....Lute !!!

And what i know is that i have the BPM tune & DCT software...and it is just perfect !!!( and never go back to stock)
So to all the non believers(without BPM tune)..... go.... and laugh in an other treat,about something you know maybe more!!!
Conclusion....for the people that laugh.....get the BPM tune and you will never laugh again,and actualy we laugh,with the driving pleasure that we get with our BPM tune & DCT software !!!
So....people.... think... when you are capable ....before laughing of others !!!
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 11:55 AM   #22
STi_traitor
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Okay, everyone needs to calm down. Something about BPM and getting people rowdy!
Appreciate 0