BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-14-2009, 01:35 AM   #1
fdsasdasdf
Captain
fdsasdasdf's Avatar
65
Rep
779
Posts

Drives: 330Ci ZHP 6sp
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC

iTrader: (0)

Why are Audi A8s so rare on the road?

I hardly ever see Audi A8s on the road. Why is it that Mercedes, BMW, and Lexus seem to dominate the large, luxury saloon class with the S-class, 7-series, and LS? I've never driven one and don't know much about the A8. Anyone have any insight as to why?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2009, 01:44 AM   #2
Year's_End
RWD only.
Year's_End's Avatar
United_States
435
Rep
12,435
Posts

Drives: 2015 S550 GT
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: St. Pete, FL

iTrader: (0)

they're quite common in europe.
__________________
Past:'08 E92 335i|ZPP|ZSP|6AT|four (4) HPFPs

Present:'15 Mustang GT|401A|PP|6MT|Recaros
Sig pic unrelated. I like to go sideways and stuff.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2009, 02:02 AM   #3
Turbo>NA
xbox gamertag: HuGeBluEmOnKeY
Turbo>NA's Avatar
Armenia
81
Rep
3,760
Posts

Drives: M-Sport LCI
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SoCal (626)

iTrader: (2)

Go look at the monthly payments
__________________

E92 335i alpine white | black dokota | auto | zpp | zsp | heated | iPod
- ltbmw : vorsteiner : linea corsa : h&r : k&n : e92-lighting : expectalot-vinyl -
--GONE--
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2009, 02:04 AM   #4
Turbo>NA
xbox gamertag: HuGeBluEmOnKeY
Turbo>NA's Avatar
Armenia
81
Rep
3,760
Posts

Drives: M-Sport LCI
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SoCal (626)

iTrader: (2)

Dont get me wrong some audi's are nice

But why dont we see RS4's or S4's? because for the same price you can get eh new M3 C63 and have free maintenance.

I believe all audi have some maintenance covered except for S and RS models. But im not srue. . .
__________________

E92 335i alpine white | black dokota | auto | zpp | zsp | heated | iPod
- ltbmw : vorsteiner : linea corsa : h&r : k&n : e92-lighting : expectalot-vinyl -
--GONE--
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2009, 02:13 AM   #5
Year's_End
RWD only.
Year's_End's Avatar
United_States
435
Rep
12,435
Posts

Drives: 2015 S550 GT
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: St. Pete, FL

iTrader: (0)

audi's pricing strategy just sucks in the US, and their brand strength isn't up to par yet.

in europe audi is quite dominant, and for good reason. they're priced competitively and they make damn nice cars.
__________________
Past:'08 E92 335i|ZPP|ZSP|6AT|four (4) HPFPs

Present:'15 Mustang GT|401A|PP|6MT|Recaros
Sig pic unrelated. I like to go sideways and stuff.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2009, 02:13 AM   #6
DocSean
Private
DocSean's Avatar
4
Rep
93
Posts

Drives:
Join Date: Sep 2008

iTrader: (0)

My father-in-law had an '08 audi a8L, hell of a car! Traded it for an s6 which he liked a bit more, but there is something baller about the a8, especially the L.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2009, 02:18 AM   #7
tim3less
First Lieutenant
United_States
-2
Rep
362
Posts

Drives: '07 STi
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

i see A8s and S8s all the time where I live.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2009, 09:02 AM   #8
Bols
Captain
Belgium
186
Rep
928
Posts

Drives: F36 AW 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

you see them almost as much as you do 7's or S's in the most parts of Europe.

They look awesome and have that bit of previous 7er 'Baller' feel to me
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2009, 12:39 PM   #9
montreal red
chris
montreal red's Avatar
Canada
156
Rep
12,131
Posts

Drives: White Boat
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (31)

Send a message via MSN to montreal red
yea, now that you mention it, i dont see A8s or S8s that often... i see way more S-class and 7 series vehicles then audis... i also see more e9x m3s then RS4s... even though the RS4 has been around for much longer.
__________________

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2013 GLK350
997.1 GT3RS (gone)
2009 WRX STI (gone)
e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2009, 04:31 PM   #10
Jamaican_Bimma
Registered
0
Rep
3
Posts

Drives: order placed
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: usa

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo>NA View Post
Dont get me wrong some audi's are nice

But why dont we see RS4's or S4's? because for the same price you can get eh new M3 C63 and have free maintenance.

I believe all audi have some maintenance covered except for S and RS models. But im not srue. . .
If this is true ill go shoot myself in the foot, in fact ill go shoot the sales rep too because when i was shopping around for cars a s4 and a 335xi was on point with each other with options (s4 had a bit more-rear power shade and small stuff) and the s4 was only 2800 more. i mean i didnt ask about the m3 cause i know i cant buy one but im sure i cant get one for 55,600. unless your talking about the v8 s4 which i don't know how much they were because i couldn't afford it 2 yrs ago but i did hear it was over priced.

and on the topic i don't even see lex big boys only s-class and 7-series and mostly s-class.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2009, 04:43 PM   #11
TheAcAvenger
Brigadier General
TheAcAvenger's Avatar
United_States
78
Rep
3,114
Posts

Drives: 2015 F82 M4 / 2007 E92 335i
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: From 757 to NoVA

iTrader: (1)

The finance/lease rate on the S cars used to be insane (maybe it still is), which is why you rarely see them running around.

The A8 will do well in the used market. Most people buy the big sedans for status symbols and Audi only recently became a legit member of the big 3.

The reason you don't see alot of them in Chapel Hill is because Chapel Hill is filled with old people, hippies, and profs. The old people well never get over Audi's wretched reliability that plagued them for decades, hippies don't keep up with new cars and all drive civic hybrids and priuses, and the profs usually don't drive cars that big.
__________________
2015 F82 M4 | 2007 E92 335i - TC Kline DA Coilovers, HPA M3 Suspension Retrofit, Quaife LSD, Stoptech 6/4 BBK, AR Downpipes, RDSport Quads, Stett OC, RB Turbos, Procede V5, PWM Meth, Helix IC, Volk TE-37s, M-Tech Sides, OEM Aero Lip, Rieger Spoiler, Vorsteiner V-35 Hood, Performance Steering Wheel, OSS Headlights
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2009, 04:53 PM   #12
KingOfJericho
Major General
KingOfJericho's Avatar
United_States
827
Rep
6,145
Posts

Drives: Yes
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: CT

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [2.63]
I did read a statistic a few years ago about the sales numbers for the large sedans and the Audi was in 5th place behind the Lexus LS, MB S, BMW 7, and one other car. I was shocked because I see about 2 dozen a day but I live in the Northeast. What would the point of AWD be on a large sedan in South Florida? It's just not practical for much of the country.
__________________
The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Bimmerpost.

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2009, 06:52 PM   #13
Turbo>NA
xbox gamertag: HuGeBluEmOnKeY
Turbo>NA's Avatar
Armenia
81
Rep
3,760
Posts

Drives: M-Sport LCI
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SoCal (626)

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaican_Bimma View Post
If this is true ill go shoot myself in the foot, in fact ill go shoot the sales rep too because when i was shopping around for cars a s4 and a 335xi was on point with each other with options (s4 had a bit more-rear power shade and small stuff) and the s4 was only 2800 more. i mean i didnt ask about the m3 cause i know i cant buy one but im sure i cant get one for 55,600. unless your talking about the v8 s4 which i don't know how much they were because i couldn't afford it 2 yrs ago but i did hear it was over priced.

and on the topic i don't even see lex big boys only s-class and 7-series and mostly s-class.
Im talking about the B7 S4 which is the v8 S4, even th enew one coming out is ganna be over proced like the rest of their cars.

I wish they had better flexible payments.
__________________

E92 335i alpine white | black dokota | auto | zpp | zsp | heated | iPod
- ltbmw : vorsteiner : linea corsa : h&r : k&n : e92-lighting : expectalot-vinyl -
--GONE--
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2009, 08:23 PM   #14
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
280
Rep
4,779
Posts

Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Tampa, FL

iTrader: (0)

I really don't know. I like the 7er more than the Audi, but I would take one over a base model S-Class for sure.
__________________
Stop putting stuff like painted reflectors and premium package in your signature. You're embarrassing.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2009, 09:31 PM   #15
josephr25
Major
United_States
35
Rep
1,459
Posts

Drives: 2008 E92 335i
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Irvine, CA

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Lexus dominates the large luxury sedan battle over where I live, especially in my community. Then you have the S-class (a lot less), then the previous 7-series. When I saw a current A8 I had to do a double-take, as, like the OP said, they're very rare.

I got to test drive the previous 7, S, and A8 for a private Audi test drive event at Auto Speedway a few years ago and I liked the A8 the best... good performance, interior, and it was the cheapest priced.
__________________
"Yeah; well, my interior is better."
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2009, 10:11 PM   #16
Turbo>NA
xbox gamertag: HuGeBluEmOnKeY
Turbo>NA's Avatar
Armenia
81
Rep
3,760
Posts

Drives: M-Sport LCI
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SoCal (626)

iTrader: (2)

A4,A5 > e9x 328, 330,
335i >S5, A5, S4,
RS4 > 335i
E9x M3 > Rs4
R8> oVER ANY bmw
__________________

E92 335i alpine white | black dokota | auto | zpp | zsp | heated | iPod
- ltbmw : vorsteiner : linea corsa : h&r : k&n : e92-lighting : expectalot-vinyl -
--GONE--
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2009, 05:46 AM   #17
footie
Major General
footie's Avatar
No_Country
137
Rep
7,507
Posts

Drives: ????????????
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: BMW M3 will get a V6TT

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Only in the US does Audi not dominate and this is solely down to the other brands (BMW and Mercedes) basically buying business. Where Audi are competitively priced to these others it's very hard to argue against getting one because their design, fit, finish and general quality is on a standard a bit high than the others.

Few cars have the same kudos of an S8, especially in Metallic Black with tinted windows, looks like the Mafia is in town.

Appreciate 0
      09-17-2009, 08:43 AM   #18
335ifanatic
Major
335ifanatic's Avatar
24
Rep
1,083
Posts

Drives: 12' 750i, 14' Bentley GTC V8
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canada

iTrader: (1)

I've never seen like 3 A8's on the road here in Vancouver and ,ost people who do buy high end luxury cars opt to lease and like already mentioned, the leasing for Audi's is awful so people go and get the 7 series or S Class instead.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2009, 12:48 PM   #19
pdjafari
Colonel
pdjafari's Avatar
-41
Rep
2,400
Posts

Drives: Axe Murderer with headlights
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Earth

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBlue371 View Post
I love our S8, choose it over the M5
blasphemy, nevar
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2009, 01:24 PM   #20
Year's_End
RWD only.
Year's_End's Avatar
United_States
435
Rep
12,435
Posts

Drives: 2015 S550 GT
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: St. Pete, FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBlue371 View Post
I love our S8, choose it over the M5
They're not even comparable.
__________________
Past:'08 E92 335i|ZPP|ZSP|6AT|four (4) HPFPs

Present:'15 Mustang GT|401A|PP|6MT|Recaros
Sig pic unrelated. I like to go sideways and stuff.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2009, 02:02 PM   #21
Rotary Rasp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rotary Rasp's Avatar
88
Rep
1,839
Posts

Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SoCal - Torrance

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBlue371 View Post
Anything is comparable. Whether you choose to compare between the confines of what you can define as similar is subjective to taste and priority.



The only thing the M5 has on the S8 is 50hp stock. The detuned Lamborghini V10 in the S8 can easily surpass that, and lets not even get started on looks. The current M5/5 series is one of the ugliest cars on the road imo. The S8 has such an elevated level of style over the M5 that in that sense, they are almost incomparable.
looks are subjective....

most will agree that the M5 is more of a drivers car than the S8.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2009, 02:03 PM   #22
Year's_End
RWD only.
Year's_End's Avatar
United_States
435
Rep
12,435
Posts

Drives: 2015 S550 GT
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: St. Pete, FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBlue371 View Post
Anything is comparable. Whether you choose to compare between the confines of what you can define as similar is subjective to taste and priority.



The only thing the M5 has on the S8 is 50hp stock. The detuned Lamborghini V10 in the S8 can easily surpass that, and lets not even get started on looks. The current M5/5 series is one of the ugliest cars on the road imo. The S8 has such an elevated level of style over the M5 that in that sense, they are almost incomparable.
In the most remote sense of the word, yeah sure, they're comparable. Just like how an S63 can be compared to an S4.

One is a luxurious sedan that goes fast. The other serves the purpose of doing track time and hauling people.

I don't know how you see them as being wholly comparable with the only differences being paper stats, like power. They're completely different cars. Weight, handling, ride quality, size, etc.

I'd def rather have an S8 if I didn't like RWD and never felt like driving through a windy road or going to a track. It's a better cruiser in every aspect. Better interior, better ride, more space.

The M5 is faster, lighter, more nimble and more fun to drive. Its interior is worse in every aspect, and the ride is harder. I got to drive one for two days on a track and there's no way in hell anything heavier than it would be even remotely fun to drive as fast.

And as for the looks argument, I disagree. The Audi S8 is good looking. Handsome, mature, and very elegant. But I still prefer the M5's look. It has that mafioso-aggressive look that I think has been rarely matched. You see it as ugly, I see it as understated yet evil. Your opinion isn't the end-all-be-all.
__________________
Past:'08 E92 335i|ZPP|ZSP|6AT|four (4) HPFPs

Present:'15 Mustang GT|401A|PP|6MT|Recaros
Sig pic unrelated. I like to go sideways and stuff.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:30 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST