BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

European Auto Source (EAS)

09-25-2012, 10:02 AM   #23
bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onurleft View Post
For reference the M3 either placed 2nd or 3rd the year it was there. It was a none comp package car and it ran a 1:42:9.

The Boss that ran was a Laguna Seca (where they did the finalized suspension tuning) with an X brace for rear seats and was in the 41 area. Laguna also rewards power.
M3 340/260 rwhp/tq
Boss 400/390

The problem with the 1M is the power falls on it's face past 6000rpm and it's also nowhere near as responsive as an M3. Also, the 1M has a high roof line so the weight is higher then it needs to be for it's size.
Times at Laguna Seca as follows:

1M----------------------1:43.31
M3----------------------1:42.96
Boss 302---------------1:40.21
Boss 302 LS------------1:39.50

At a guess, the M3 with Comp package would be quicker, but still in the 1:42s.

For me, the interesting part is that the Boss 302 LS isn't even quicker than that, given the track-ready components and extra cost over the base car. The old rule of thumb is that DOT-legal track sneakers tend to be about a second a minute quicker over high-performance street rubber, but obviously not true in this case.

As to 1M vs M3, there's no question the M3 is the better overall car on track, but throttle responsiveness is clearly not an issue at all on track (just ask Audi - or me ), and why on earth would power falling off after 6000 rpm be in any way an issue at all?

Bruce
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 11:06 AM   #24
48Laws
Banned
Rep
Drives: '15 F80, '18 991.2 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optherion View Post
Our M3's are getting pretty dated.

Im not sure how many more of these lame special edition M3's I can take that just have wheels and paint options. Until a special M3 comes out with a significantly better suspension or "track package," they have reviewed the crap out of the M3. Almost every car in this test is an all out revision or signification improvement on its former model. R8->R8GT 135->1M. Corvette with Sport Cups and Carbon Ceramics etc. I dont think I'd even want to find out where the M3 came in place in this test with the 458 lol
There hasn't been huge leaps and bounds technologically speaking since the inception of the e92 M3. I don't agree that our cars are outdated. I think the consumer just expects to be "wowed" too often as they grow bored very easily. With the complete redesign of the m3 (M4?) upon us, it's not uncommon for special editions or the like to be produced at the tail-end of a production run. If you're expecting a significantly better redesign, in theory, the upcoming M3(m4) should satisfy that. If it aint broke don't fix it...
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 11:22 AM   #25
NoM3ForMe
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 Legacy, '07 Kia Sorrento

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Laws View Post
There hasn't been huge leaps and bounds technologically speaking since the inception of the e92 M3. I don't agree that our cars are outdated. I think the consumer just expects to be "wowed" too often as they grow bored very easily. With the complete redesign of the m3 (M4?) upon us, it's not uncommon for special editions or the like to be produced at the tail-end of a production run. If you're expecting a significantly better redesign, in theory, the upcoming M3(m4) should satisfy that. If it aint broke don't fix it...
Well-stated; I agree.
      09-25-2012, 03:36 PM   #26
CAPSGOD
Major
Rep
Drives: Diesel Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyav8tor View Post
I still would have liked to see the M3 go against the Boss. Anyone have the laptimes for the M3 at Laguna Seca?
It probably won't be an accurate representation IRL. Who would buy a car like a Boss Mustang, Evo, or STI and keep it stock.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 05:39 PM   #27
Beemw335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

I laugh when people say corvettes are typical muscle cars that cant take a turn. Nobody seems to realize just how good the z06 really is.
Out of those cars the z06 and boss are my favorites, both are all about performance without costing you a fortune to buy/mod/maintain.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 05:22 PM   #28
Optherion
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Prancing Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Laws View Post
That is why I am waiting for an M4 sedan well said.

However funny story, and you know how kids say whatever comes to mind. I gave my 8 year old niece a ride in my M3 about 2 years ago. After the ride we go inside and she proceeds to tell her mom about our trip and how she liked it. She says "it was fast but inside is weird. Its like uncle Jessie's car." e Uncle Jessie has a 4 door Hyundai Sonata LOL! Then tells me, I should have got the Bentley like my mom. "couldnt he afford something nicer?' Damn kids. lol. I hate to think she is kind of right with all the plastic and dated center console. Still gorgeous leather and interior, but hasn't changed really since my 07 335. I only feel its dated cause the 6 and 7 series have become beautiful inside. Cant wait for the M4.