BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

04-29-2011, 02:41 AM   #1
KGB7
Crazy Russian Bastard
United_States
Rep
Drives: 01 740i sport

Dinan?

I dont have M3 yet, but in the mean time im doing a lot of reading and research about aftermarket parts for M3.

I would like to hear from everyone on their experience or their knowledge about Dinan, because at this time i'm seriously considering going fully with Dinan parts and their 4.6L engine. I dont want a Turbo or Super Charger. Minus the Brake system because im thinking getting Stop Tech.

So for a moment and for the sake of conversation, lets take away Dinans warranty that they have with BMW on all Dinan parts.
If money was not an issue, why wouldnt you buy Dinan products??

My plan for M3 is to drive it on weekends as a 2nd car, do AutoX now and then to improve my driving and for the fun of it. And i might at some point turn M3 in to a full track car, but after the factory warranty runs out.

Last edited by KGB7; 04-29-2011 at 02:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 08:08 AM   #2
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

I'd like to know 1 person who has the kit. It's as expensive as buying another car. If money was no issue, yeah Dinan parts are worth it b/c I think it's very high quality and they also done the reasearch and testing.

I'm not knocking their quality or anything, but putting price back in the equation, I would probably look elsewhere than buy the stroker.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 09:14 AM   #3
stega
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
There are other stroker engines for the M3, but after seeing one in person, and more important having driven one - it is simply stunning. If you wanna stay NA with your M3 - the Dinan stroker is the way to go.

But yes, spending $25K (last year I got an offer for $19K) + $4-5K installation is quite a chunk of change to spend on a new engine. Numbers wise it obviously doesn't make sense anyway you look at it, but the motor is a thing of beauty.
I am just hoping in like 3 years when my warranty is gone, there are other companies or the same ones doing the strokers much much cheaper!!

Then I have a choice, stroker or blower!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 09:48 AM   #4
Legion5
Major
Rep
Drives: e92

If money wasn't an issue Dinan would be the company to use. Unfortunately money is an issue and they're expensive. Once you start piling on Dinan stuff you get into used Ferrari and Lambo prices.

Clean cars are happy cars!
CANON PHOTOGRAPHER
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 09:57 AM   #5
rbk1115
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Acuras & BMWs

Garage List
I don't have any experience with Dinan parts for the e9x, but I can speak for the e36. I had the full Dinan Stage 4 NA Setup on my old e36 M3 and it was really nice. The mods totally changed the way the car drove, and my car pulled strong. The car put down 250 RWHP and 243 RWTQ on the dyno. The build quality (fit and finish) of their parts is excellent and I never had any issues with them.

My priorities are different these days, but if I was still into mods, I would go Dinan. You get what you pay for, not just the power, but the quality/reliability.

2009 BMW M3 Sedan
2013 BMW 535i M Sport Sedan
2014 Mazda3 i Touring Sedan
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 10:02 AM   #6
saeedg48
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991.1 GT3

Dinanas where you want to go when you're going aftermarket.
They're the best but the most expensive.

2015 Porsche 991.1 GT3
2015 F80 M3 -- Individual; Space Grey
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 10:04 AM   #7
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB7 View Post
So for a moment and for the sake of conversation, lets take away Dinans warranty that they have with BMW on all Dinan parts.
Dinan does not have a warranty arrangement with BMW. When you buy Dinan products, you get a Dinan warranty, not BMW.
      04-29-2011, 10:06 AM   #8
saeedg48
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991.1 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by signes View Post
Dinan does not have a warranty arrangement with BMW. When you buy Dinan products, you get a Dinan warranty, not BMW.
correct - but your car still retains bmw factory & dealership warranty. no dinan part with void your warranty

2015 Porsche 991.1 GT3
2015 F80 M3 -- Individual; Space Grey
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 11:45 AM   #9
KGB7
Crazy Russian Bastard
United_States
Rep

Quote:
But a BMW dealership will fix and replace Dinan products and it doesnt void factory warranty. I guess i should have rephrased it differently.

Thanks for every ones input. So the only thing i have left to decide is the color.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 12:27 PM   #10
Hunter399
Major General
Rep
Drives: F90M5

I have the full exhaust, pulley, software and suspension on my car and have not had a single issue. I would highly recommend Dinan.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 03:14 PM   #11
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4

The quality of their product can't be beat. The R&D Steve and his team does makes you feel comfortable with the product. I highly recommend it..................Phil
2016 GT4.....Sapphire Blue Metallic, Platinum stitch Leather/Alcantara interior, Carbon Fiber Trim, PCM w/Nav, Guards Red Belts, 2 Zone Climate, Sport Chrono, LWB, Smokers Pack, Big Gas Tank, Light Design Pack, Bi-Xenon w/PDL, Auto Dim Mirror, Clear Side Markers, GTS Clear Taillights
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 06:20 PM   #12
jimmy ny
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 bmw m3

I have their intake, pulley and software. I am very happy. I think their exhaust and mid-pipe is overpriced. Im on the ledge for some of their suspension parts and i just cant justufy the price for the performance. I do like their camber plates, strut brace and rear toe links. I really like their 3.45 rear as well. Over all for some items they cant be beat, for others there are other choices either better or more cost friendly.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 09:19 PM   #13
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
I've got their 4.10 final drive, larger throttle bodies, chip, camber plates and lowering springs and I'm totally pleased with reliability and quality. My exhaust is the Active Autowerks, which I prefer to the Dinan due to sound and not much else.

I live at 5400 above sea-level, so power gains are minimal, but the car is great two-years after first installation.

Dave
      04-29-2011, 09:52 PM   #14
prichards516
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 zcp

I just did a ECU tune through Dinan yesterday and I love it!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 09:34 AM   #15
Nautik
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW M3 DCT

Car and Driver had an article several months back reviewing the 4.6l Dinan M3. The performance difference (at least from their limited testing) was not very impressive. This might have been limited by something not mentioned in the article, hard to know.
      05-02-2011, 12:27 PM   #16
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB7 View Post
But a BMW dealership will fix and replace Dinan products and it doesnt void factory warranty. I guess i should have rephrased it differently.

Thanks for every ones input. So the only thing i have left to decide is the color.
A BMW dealer who an authorized BMW reseller will install and repair Dinan parts. But somebody show me where their mods don't void BMW warranty for the parts and related systems they affect. Steve Dinan told me himself that once they modify a part of the car they "own" that and the related parts, and that the buyer will have to rely on their warranty. Not crapping on Dinan, in fact I would trust their mods more than any other aftermarket brand, but if you install a Dinan part/software then you will be relying on their warranty for those parts. Doing Dinan mods does not void your factory warranty in its entirety, but neither does doing equivalent modifications from other vendors.

Happy to be corrected if somebody can show actual evidence of "not voiding your factory warranty."
      05-02-2011, 01:07 PM   #17
kitw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F91 M8, 991.2 GT3

^ your understanding is correct, and KGB7's understanding is a common misconception.

Some dealerships will deal with the Dinan warranty for you, but most won't from what I've seen.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 01:57 PM   #18
Mark's M
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Individual

Just got the full exhaust, intake, tune and brakes (Brembo labelled Dinan) and everything's fantastic. Sound, quality, power, etc, etc, etc, and....peace of mind. If your BMW/Dinan dealer puts out alot of Dinan products, tell them to negotiate their pricing. Mine did - much to my advantage.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 03:05 PM   #19
KGB7
Crazy Russian Bastard
United_States
Rep

Quote:
A BMW dealer who an authorized BMW reseller will install and repair Dinan parts. But somebody show me where their mods don't void BMW warranty for the parts and related systems they affect. Steve Dinan told me himself that once they modify a part of the car they "own" that and the related parts, and that the buyer will have to rely on their warranty. Not crapping on Dinan, in fact I would trust their mods more than any other aftermarket brand, but if you install a Dinan part/software then you will be relying on their warranty for those parts. Doing Dinan mods does not void your factory warranty in its entirety, but neither does doing equivalent modifications from other vendors.

Happy to be corrected if somebody can show actual evidence of "not voiding your factory warranty."

I'll reread Dinans warranty again on their website, perhaps i missed something.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 11:20 PM   #20
Draff1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Silverstone M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nautik View Post
Car and Driver had an article several months back reviewing the 4.6l Dinan M3. The performance difference (at least from their limited testing) was not very impressive. This might have been limited by something not mentioned in the article, hard to know.
The article was clear that grip was the issue. Not enough rubber to launch effectively but trap speed indicated the car was capable of much more. Characterizing the Dinan stroker the way you did is misleading.

Regardless of the stroker, Id love to see someone test the bolt-on mods against a stock M3. It's 99% of their clientele.
      05-03-2011, 12:00 AM   #21
KGB7
Crazy Russian Bastard
United_States
Rep

Here is the Car and Driver article if any one is interested in reading it.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...specialty_file
Appreciate 0