BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

05-17-2010, 01:15 AM   #1
SOCAL
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Fully customized OEM Exhaust!!! DONE!!!!

As many of you know form my previous posts ( clicky here !!! ) I toot what Periokid did to his OEM exhaust and did my own version of it.

I have ran this muffler setup for a couple months now and have recieved nothing but compliments. It sounds amazing, and better yet, it is perfectly suited to comfortable driving, ie. no drone or obnoxious noises.

SOOOOO...

After toying with a couple ideas as to what I wanted to do with the midpipe section of the car, I decided I needed to find another midpipe section to fool around with. I purchased one off a fellow post member for a very reasonable price and went to work.

Seeing as how I live in Kalifornia and emmission control systems (catalytic converters) are necessary, I wanted a "stealth" setup, that would offer some increased power, increased sound, and yet still maintain the OEM system and look, as well as the primary cats. Some people have opted to simple cut out the secondary cats and replace them with a straight pipe section which is great, but your dealer, smog station, etc, will see this. My solution, "gut" the secondary cat. I believe

So I did just this, got out the old Sawzall and cut the midpipe section right before the secondary cat. I then used about a 18" long spade drill and a chisel to remove all the cat material. After it was all removed and cleaned out, I have a very nice straight section so it was then jigged back up on the welding bench and welded back together, following the OEM weld lines. You would have to literally examine veeeery closely to see that it was even tampered with, it is very, very good.

I put this section on this last Friday... it fit up just like the unmodified section I took off, perfect. As for sound and power, well, it maintained the "euro" sort of exhaust note that the modified muffler alone produced, but now it is about 25% louder throughout the RPM range. It reeeeaaaaallly turns heads now

Unfortunately I took pics of the process with my Blackberry and accidentally deleted them thinking that they were downloaded to my computer, which they werent. As soon as I get a decent camera, I will post another video as well as some better quality digi pics of the modified mid pipe on the car. A dyno day is in the works to see what kinda power I am making these days, unfortunately I dont have a baseline of my car so I will have to compare to other stock E92's.

PICS AND VID TO COME!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 12:48 PM   #2
1sikbmr
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 6MT

great... I just did mine too. Bought the muffler from a fellow member. the only thing I did different from Periokid was I sealed all the holes instead of just two parts.

F80 ///M3 6MT Avus Blue ZCP
Appreciate 0