BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

10-31-2011, 10:17 AM   #1
armandom3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW M3 - sold

power steering help

I have a questions about my power steering. Everytime i make a turn , there is a roaring sound that i here coming from the front end. I called BMW service and they said to check my power steering fluid because it was very common of the m3 to and that is was causing the sound. I will check it today but just wondering if you guys are having the same issue. Im about 3 hrs away from a dealership. Any help thanks.

2010 BMW M3 COUPE
2012 Range Rover
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 10:26 AM   #2
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F82 M4

hmmm... roaring? not heard of it before... by any chance do you have the MDM on? this usually turns on the active steering system.

i have an 08 with 50k plus miles with no issue...
      10-31-2011, 10:26 AM   #3
wwjd15
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E92 M3 MR

I have the same problem. BMW has warrantied 2 pumps and 1 complete system but still making the sound and turns funny. I brought to my buddy who's tech, he said that the sound is coming from steering rack and it sounds like the rack is going away. You might wanna check it out.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 10:28 AM   #4
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwjd15 View Post
I have the same problem. BMW has warrantied 2 pumps and 1 complete system but still making the sound and turns funny. I brought to my buddy who's tech, he said that the sound is coming from steering rack and it sounds like the rack is going away. You might wanna check it out.
oh glad didnt have this problem.... and hope will not have them...

havent heard this issue before... 1st time i guess...
      10-31-2011, 10:36 AM   #5
armandom3
Private
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the help, I better take it in.
2012 Range Rover
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 10:59 AM   #6
wwjd15
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E92 M3 MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean05 View Post
oh glad didnt have this problem.... and hope will not have them...

havent heard this issue before... 1st time i guess...
It's normal for BMW and it has the pump/rack issue ever since E46. Well, only happen if you take it to the track and drive it hard though.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 11:05 AM   #7
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwjd15 View Post
It's normal for BMW and it has the pump/rack issue ever since E46. Well, only happen if you take it to the track and drive it hard though.
oh ok thats explain why i have no issue... i drive it like a GRANDMA...

thanks for the headsup ....
      10-31-2011, 11:08 AM   #8
armandom3
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean05 View Post
oh ok thats explain why i have no issue... i drive it like a GRANDMA...

thanks for the headsup ....
I dont even drive the car but once a week,
2012 Range Rover
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 10:41 AM   #9
armandom3
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by armandom3 View Post
I have a questions about my power steering. Everytime i make a turn , there is a roaring sound that i here coming from the front end. I called BMW service and they said to check my power steering fluid because it was very common of the m3 to and that is was causing the sound. I will check it today but just wondering if you guys are having the same issue. Im about 3 hrs away from a dealership. Any help thanks.

2010 BMW M3 COUPE
what other power steeing fluid can i use? just checked it and its low. CHF 11S is whats on the cap but cant get it where im at . have to order it.
2012 Range Rover
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 12:51 PM   #10
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by armandom3 View Post
what other power steeing fluid can i use? just checked it and its low. CHF 11S is whats on the cap but cant get it where im at . have to order it.
CHF-11S is the best there is, so I wouldn't use anything else to avoid having to flush the system later on. How low is it? Is there a leak somewhere? Mine was low too, but just a little. How many miles on your car? I ordered a bottle online; it's not available anywhere in El Paso, so even less in Carlsbad, NM. A 1L bottle is around $20. And it's a b*tch to pour, so I'd do it on a cup first... if you don't want to make a mess on your car. You'll know what I mean when you buy it . Hey, if you want to come all the way here, I'd be happy to top it off for you .

That's why I like to change my own oil, and do my own maintenance. You notice anything unusual under your car. And once you have the car on the air, you can bleed the brakes and clutch as well. Clean everything underneath, and make sure you have no leaks of any kind. Take care.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 01:28 PM   #11
armandom3
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
CHF-11S is the best there is, so I wouldn't use anything else to avoid having to flush the system later on. How low is it? Is there a leak somewhere? Mine was low too, but just a little. How many miles on your car? I ordered a bottle online; it's not available anywhere in El Paso, so even less in Carlsbad, NM. A 1L bottle is around $20. And it's a b*tch to pour, so I'd do it on a cup first... if you don't want to make a mess on your car. You'll know what I mean when you buy it . Hey, if you want to come all the way here, I'd be happy to top it off for you .

That's why I like to change my own oil, and do my own maintenance. You notice anything unusual under your car. And once you have the car on the air, you can bleed the brakes and clutch as well. Clean everything underneath, and make sure you have no leaks of any kind. Take care.
Thanks for the help, the car has 31k . I will order a bottel today.
I go down to El Paso about once a month or twice. Thats where my wife does all her shoppping. Only 1 other M3 here in Carlsbad.
2012 Range Rover
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 02:44 PM   #12
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
What kind of BMW dealership are you dealing with? Your car is under warranty, you need to take it in and they need to fix it!

If you have to add oil it naturally leads one to think there is a leak of some sort, further there should be evidence of a leak. If that is so it needs to be corrected, like right now. Also, if you hear noise a kind of rohr or whatever, they need to test drive your car and then find and eliminate the issue.

That is what you paid for (4 year warranty) so your dealer has to fix it. Don't let them get away with it ...

If you live too far away from the dealership and they need to keep the car to fix it then so be it they need to provide you with a loaner for that period. Don't get stuck in no mans land with this problem it need to be corrected.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0