BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

02-06-2008, 09:09 AM   #1
TahoeOG
Major
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Got My New iPhone

hello everyone!. well here's what happend.

I was a verizon wireless customer for over 5 years, and i've been nothing but happy with them. The signal is always strong and the only 2 things i didn't really like about them is, 1) they get the new hot phones one year later, 2)when i used to change my plan they used to have to extend my 2 year contract.

Well with all this talk on the iphone I was really interested but scared about At&t signal strength. I'm used to verizon, I KNOW they have good signal so I didn't want to be like others who have to walk outside to take or make a call. Or get a voicemail notification when their phone never rang.

Well my Fiance and I have thought about it long enough, we both decided to get it and if the signal was bad we would return it within 14 days and only pay the 10% restocking fee.

WELL, we went and got it. Total it came out to $426. We both went home and connected it to our macs (imac for me, and black book for her). Well after the update and all, the phone was activated as our family plan.

Let me tell you. I TOTALLY underestimated AT&T. I have VERY VERY STRONG signal everywhere i go. With my verizon i did as well, BUT in my room i would have 1 or 2 bars, but that would be enough to hear and talk good and sometimes i would get dropped calls. SOMETIMES bur rarely.

Well, with the at&t, I have FULL bars on one side of my room and 3-4 bars on the other. That was great! EVERYWHERE i go i don't see less than 4 bars!!! anywhere!.. I always see 5 bars, and RARELY see 4 bars or really never 3 bars. I live in the state of New Jersey in essex county.

Now i connected it to my wi-fi at home and the speed is awsome. And i don't know about other memebers but when it's on EDGE connection and i have to see somethign online, it doesn't take longer than my T1 connection here on the PC at work. Pages load average, 8 seconds or less.

The sound is great and so far, no dropped calls. Also My battery is long lasting. I took it out of the box and started using it. Charged it for 1 hour after it. Then haven't charged it for 1 day in a half when my battery reached half empty i rechared it again for about 40 minutes when it was full, then i waited ten more minutes and removed it and kept it sleep like i usually do. Mind you, when i just got it, I was on youtube, internet, phone calls, contacts.. well pretty much setting up my preferences.

I have no need to jailbreak my iphone, i will keep it as is. I purchased a ringtone from one of the songs purchased from itunes and it works great. I'm really happy with my iphone and more after the update.

I'm really happy with at&t and going strong! I can't be happier. I have to go check my email now on my iphone since my work computer doens't let me check gmail.

Well that's my write up.. Oh and my finace loves it as much as I do. Please feel free to ask any question.

PS- the only thing i purchased for my iphone to protect it is a black "AGENT 18" protector and a ... i forget the name but it's like a plastic that covers the screen and protects from scratches and ati fingerprince or something. The apple store recommend it to me, and it is awsome. Looks like nothing is on top of my screen and no fingerprince and responds great!

PPS-I have the 8 gig iPhone. I know, I know, the 16 gig came out yesterday (2-5-08) but i'm really happy with my 8 gig and only used up 3 gigs. That's all my music in my computer, and important pics i want on my iphone, and podcast music. I find no need to buy the 16gig, as i'm extremely happy with 8 gig and there will always be newer phones in the future so the next phone i will probably get will be in 2010. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2008, 10:02 AM   #2
Taittinger
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue E92

Garage List
2007 335i Cpe  [0.00]
Edge is the slower protocol. That is why some are waiting for the iPhone with 3G HSDPA support.

I too switched from Verizon to Cingular/ATT but a while back and noticed that in this area at least ATT has a better coverage.

'07 Monaco Blue 335i ordered 9/4 built 9/21 shipped 9/28 arrived 10/12 at dealership 10/18 vroom 10/19 christened 11/3...
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2008, 10:08 AM   #3
KL2DC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 428i,E90 328i, E85 Z4 3.0i

Garage List
2015 F36 428i  [0.00]
2011 E90 328i  [0.00]
2006 E85 Z4 3.0i  [0.00]
You miss out on a lot of cool apps by not jailbreaking your iphone But yeah congrats, its a cool toy, I love playing with it

Nice review btw.

Official DC Metro Registry - Current, New & Prospective Area Members Roll Call!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2008, 10:08 AM   #4
Stronie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80M3 Comp. 6MT

"Now i connected it to my wi-fi at home and the speed is awsome. And i don't know about other memebers but when it's on EDGE connection and i have to see somethign online, it doesn't take longer than my T1 connection here on the PC at work. Pages load average, 8 seconds or less."

Question to access internet I know you can access through ATT Network (what is that called "Edge?") but can you connect to the internet via wi-fi as well for a faster connection like the itouch.

Don't own a Iphone or Imac but was very interested in the iphone's signal strength, great write up.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2008, 10:10 AM   #5
KL2DC
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 F36 428i  [0.00]
2011 E90 328i  [0.00]
2006 E85 Z4 3.0i  [0.00]
yes of course, by default if you leave wifi on, it'll automatically search for an open wifi signal. Internet is bearable when connected to wifi, I do some e90posting from my iphone when i have free time at the coffee shop for e.g. It may be a bit slow with Edge.

Appreciate 0
      02-06-2008, 10:15 AM   #6
Couch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Cool man.

I have to admit, I contemplated switching over when my contract with Verizon was up late last year. I decided to stay, however. Plus they gave me 2000 bonus minutes for staying with them.

Maybe it's just the location, but some peeps I know with iPhones (and other phones) don't share the same experiences with reception on ATT.

Best of luck on your new plan.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2008, 10:42 AM   #7
TahoeOG
Major
Rep

thank you all. in the settings option in the iphone you could change your options of wi-fi, if you want it to join or ask, brightness, email adding, wallpaper, etc...

you could also manually search for wi-fi. Here at work upstairs they have it so i search and found it and clicked on it, and that was it.

Also when i get home it automatically connects to my home network, and when i get to work it automatically connects to this wifi as well.

Great phone!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2008, 10:43 AM   #8
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Couch View Post
Maybe it's just the location, but some peeps I know with iPhones (and other phones) don't share the same experiences with reception on ATT.
Interesting. AT&T is the former SBC, and is now HQed in San Antonio or whatever place SBC had its HQ. I'm surprised they don't have better wireless coverage in TX.
      02-06-2008, 10:45 AM   #9
MTV
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: E60 M5, Volvo S60R

Enjoy it! The iPhone is one hell of a phone!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2008, 10:51 AM   #10
KL2DC
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 F36 428i  [0.00]
2011 E90 328i  [0.00]
2006 E85 Z4 3.0i  [0.00]
I can't stress enough how much more functional (and fun) the phone jailbroken. One of the coolest app is 'LocateMe' which gives you your location from which you can calculate directions to another location, basically like a GPS navi unit. My other favorite apps is my nintendo port (I have about 40 old school games like contra ), UPS package tracker and my Pocket Guitar

Appreciate 0
      02-06-2008, 11:03 AM   #11
TahoeOG
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL2DC View Post
I can't stress enough how much more functional (and fun) the phone jailbroken. One of the coolest app is 'LocateMe' which gives you your location from which you can calculate directions to another location, basically like a GPS navi unit. My other favorite apps is my nintendo port (I have about 40 old school games like contra ), UPS package tracker and my Pocket Guitar
The locateMe is already included with the new software update on the iphone. As for the other apps, i i guess it would be cool, and i've seen how many great things a jailbroken phone can be. Unfortunately My main use of my phone is phone, web, mail, ipod, videos, pics, ....that's really about it.. So all those apps are not needed for my type of use.

I'm totally happy i got it!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2008, 11:07 AM   #12
KL2DC
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 F36 428i  [0.00]
2011 E90 328i  [0.00]
2006 E85 Z4 3.0i  [0.00]
alright cool man...I guess I don't have to tell you on the virtual bouncing titties iphone app

Appreciate 0
      02-06-2008, 11:47 AM   #13
pdjafari2
Private
Rep
Drives: e92

^^ive been contemplating the iphone for a couple months, my contract w/ Nextel just expired so I'm going to get one. I was debating whether to wait for the 3G...but I am getting impatient.

How do you unlock the phone?? What hardware/software/peripherals are needed???
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2008, 12:01 PM   #14
berm3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by billmister View Post
hello everyone!. well here's what happend.

I was a verizon wireless customer for over 5 years, and i've been nothing but happy with them. The signal is always strong and the only 2 things i didn't really like about them is, 1) they get the new hot phones one year later, 2)when i used to change my plan they used to have to extend my 2 year contract.

Well with all this talk on the iphone I was really interested but scared about At&t signal strength. I'm used to verizon, I KNOW they have good signal so I didn't want to be like others who have to walk outside to take or make a call. Or get a voicemail notification when their phone never rang.

Well my Fiance and I have thought about it long enough, we both decided to get it and if the signal was bad we would return it within 14 days and only pay the 10% restocking fee.

WELL, we went and got it. Total it came out to $426. We both went home and connected it to our macs (imac for me, and black book for her). Well after the update and all, the phone was activated as our family plan.

Let me tell you. I TOTALLY underestimated AT&T. I have VERY VERY STRONG signal everywhere i go. With my verizon i did as well, BUT in my room i would have 1 or 2 bars, but that would be enough to hear and talk good and sometimes i would get dropped calls. SOMETIMES bur rarely.

Well, with the at&t, I have FULL bars on one side of my room and 3-4 bars on the other. That was great! EVERYWHERE i go i don't see less than 4 bars!!! anywhere!.. I always see 5 bars, and RARELY see 4 bars or really never 3 bars. I live in the state of New Jersey in essex county.

Now i connected it to my wi-fi at home and the speed is awsome. And i don't know about other memebers but when it's on EDGE connection and i have to see somethign online, it doesn't take longer than my T1 connection here on the PC at work. Pages load average, 8 seconds or less.

The sound is great and so far, no dropped calls. Also My battery is long lasting. I took it out of the box and started using it. Charged it for 1 hour after it. Then haven't charged it for 1 day in a half when my battery reached half empty i rechared it again for about 40 minutes when it was full, then i waited ten more minutes and removed it and kept it sleep like i usually do. Mind you, when i just got it, I was on youtube, internet, phone calls, contacts.. well pretty much setting up my preferences.

I have no need to jailbreak my iphone, i will keep it as is. I purchased a ringtone from one of the songs purchased from itunes and it works great. I'm really happy with my iphone and more after the update.

I'm really happy with at&t and going strong! I can't be happier. I have to go check my email now on my iphone since my work computer doens't let me check gmail.

Well that's my write up.. Oh and my finace loves it as much as I do. Please feel free to ask any question.

PS- the only thing i purchased for my iphone to protect it is a black "AGENT 18" protector and a ... i forget the name but it's like a plastic that covers the screen and protects from scratches and ati fingerprince or something. The apple store recommend it to me, and it is awsome. Looks like nothing is on top of my screen and no fingerprince and responds great!

PPS-I have the 8 gig iPhone. I know, I know, the 16 gig came out yesterday (2-5-08) but i'm really happy with my 8 gig and only used up 3 gigs. That's all my music in my computer, and important pics i want on my iphone, and podcast music. I find no need to buy the 16gig, as i'm extremely happy with 8 gig and there will always be newer phones in the future so the next phone i will probably get will be in 2010. Thanks

I did same thing with my fiancé few weeks ago. I switched from Verizon to AT&T, and so far we both love our iphones and the service. Apple didn't even announce anything regarding 3g network, and even if the 3g network will come out this year, the data plan will no longer cost $20 a month, but most likely much more.
      02-06-2008, 12:12 PM   #15
Couch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK View Post
Interesting. AT&T is the former SBC, and is now HQed in San Antonio or whatever place SBC had its HQ. I'm surprised they don't have better wireless coverage in TX.
I find it odd as well. But I believe their issues are dealing more with inside than outside reception.

My friend lives out in the "sticks" so to speak. Certain areas he has to use his work (ATT) phone. His Verizon is hit or miss. But my verizon phone works everywhere.

It's just one of those mysterious cell phone issues I guess.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2008, 12:53 PM   #16
BoostedBMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: TiAg E92 335

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
I'm glad to hear that you like your iPhone.

I have had mine for around 4 months or so and I still love it. I know that a lot of people complain that it doesn't have 3G, but I have read a lot online about how battery life blows with 3G phones. I'm sure once they fix that then it will be available on the next phone.

l 19" Rial Daytona Race l KW V2 l Eisenhaus Race Exhaust l
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2008, 02:44 PM   #17
MpoweredM
MafiaImaging
Rep
Drives: '21 m3

My contract with Sprint is up in a few months and I've been contemplating this move as well. My gf's brother purchased the Iphone and loves it. I've messed around with the phone and liked it as well. What I'm curious however is the price of the plans.

I have a family plan, 5 phones. Total price a month comes to 150 dollars. That includes 3500 shared minutes, unlimited texting, internet usage, picture mail, unlimited nights and weekends starting at 7pm, free sprint to sprint, etc. Basically, everything. I'm afraid AT&T will never be able to match the deal I have going for me right now. Can anyone give me some insight on what their plan includes, how many phones and how much they are paying.
      02-06-2008, 03:00 PM   #18
pdjafari2
Private
Rep

^^one great thing about ATT is they have roll over minutes so unused minutes from previous month get rolled over into your next month
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2008, 03:13 PM   #19
OverDrive
CHEAT TO WIN!!
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, 718 GT4

IMO iPhone sux. I have the Nokia N95 8GB and its unbelievable. Nokia has been in this business for alot longer than apple has been in the computer industry. You guys should check the N95 out, it will blow you away...
5MP camera with Carl Zeis lens, built in GPS, better looks than the iPhone, and 8GB of memory which is just too much.
________
Portable vaporizer reviews
________
Kd125
________
Volcano Vaporizer
________
ZOLOFT LAWYERS

Last edited by OverDrive; 04-14-2011 at 09:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2008, 03:45 PM   #20
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Couch View Post
I find it odd as well. But I believe their issues are dealing more with inside than outside reception.

My friend lives out in the "sticks" so to speak. Certain areas he has to use his work (ATT) phone. His Verizon is hit or miss. But my verizon phone works everywhere.

It's just one of those mysterious cell phone issues I guess.
Interesting. I wonder about coverage around here. Years ago, I had an ATT phone, and coverage sucked here in DC. I hear it has gotten better. Not that it matters, because there is absolutely zero chance I'm leaving VZW for an ATT phone, but the iPhone does look nifty. I do wish VZW would make something similar.
      02-06-2008, 04:02 PM   #21
vladinecko
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.00]
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
1994 BMW 325i  [0.00]
you're lucky to get good service from at&t. here in the bay area it's nothing but a nightmare. i can't count how many dropped calls i've had in the past 6 months and the signal strength is a joke.

it shocks me their ad campaign is based upon "more bars in more places" slogan while i have to literally walk around to get a decent signal every time i'm on the phone.

i also have a verizon phone (the iPhone is paid for by my job) so i often compare the number of bars each phone has at a time. i rarely get less than full strength with verizon while at&t rarely gets more than 2 bars.

the iPhone as a device kicks some serious ass though!
1994 E36 325i - Boston Green/Beige/Automatic/ZPP/Heated Seats/Premium Sound - Sold
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2008, 04:06 PM   #22
pdjafari2
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverDrive View Post
IMO iPhone sux. I have the Nokia N95 8GB and its unbelievable. Nokia has been in this business for alot longer than apple has been in the computer industry. You guys should check the N95 out, it will blow you away...
5MP camera with Carl Zeis lens, built in GPS, better looks than the iPhone, and 8GB of memory which is just too much.
I hear the N95 is for kir parasts? Is this true
Appreciate 0