BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

02-01-2008, 05:47 AM   #67
RandyB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 330i, '09 M3 Coupe

I just can't make myself consider anything other than a true manual. I will happily concede the performance advantage although I will always be a little skeptical of just how much that is, especially when not on a racecourse. That said, I think it's a great option for those who like those types of transmissions and it appears to be a promising evolution on that front.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2008, 06:16 AM   #68
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
devo,

What they are saying about the differences between the DSK/DCT vs manual on a back road is very true but like everything unless the same driver to doing the comparison the results will differ. By this I mean if you aren't that great of a driver and happen to be in the DCT car then you will still be whipped by a decent driver in a manual. The car is but a tool and it's what you do with it that is important.

Mate you have made the right decision for yourself and that is all that matter and the rest should stop beating you up about it.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2008, 06:27 AM   #69
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

I don't have a problem whatsoever with the differing views. I asked for these opinions and very much appreciate them.

Footie,
I have to agree with your aforementioned post. Your views as well as many others here have been spot on. However, the way that I look at the back road comparison is simply keeping the comparing between my skills in each car. I don't have to be have the fastest shifts but the torque advantage (10% on paper, right?) is hard to ignore. I keep visualizing being in second or third gear and having that much more torque effect.

I am still second quessing my choice of course. I still have an opportunity to go with M-DCT.

And, I am trying to ignore that "rubbery and imprecise" shifter claim made by some here.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2008, 07:33 AM   #70
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
I don't have a problem whatsoever with the differing views. I asked for these opinions and very much appreciate them.

Footie,
I have to agree with your aforementioned post. Your views as well as many others here have been spot on. However, the way that I look at the back road comparison is simply keeping the comparing between my skills in each car. I don't have to be have the fastest shifts but the torque advantage (10% on paper, right?) is hard to ignore. I keep visualizing being in second or third gear and having that much more torque effect.

I am still second quessing my choice of course. I still have an opportunity to go with M-DCT.

And, I am trying to ignore that "rubbery and imprecise" shifter claim made by some here.
The shift from the manual isn't rubbery or imprecise, though to be fair it isn't the best you will ever see either. You always have to weigh up what is most important to you when choosing anything on a car, if ultimate speed is the most important thing then DSK is the way to go but outside of the track you will get more enjoyment from shifting yourself.

It's funny but while you are second guessing which gearbox to pick I have that decision firmly decided, my problem is which colour combination to have.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2008, 10:32 AM   #71
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
The shift from the manual isn't rubbery or imprecise, though to be fair it isn't the best you will ever see either. You always have to weigh up what is most important to you when choosing anything on a car, if ultimate speed is the most important thing then DSK is the way to go but outside of the track you will get more enjoyment from shifting yourself.

It's funny but while you are second guessing which gearbox to pick I have that decision firmly decided, my problem is which colour combination to have.
Curious, which trans. are you going with?

And, which colors are you considering?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2008, 10:45 AM   #72
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Curious, which trans. are you going with?8
Footie is a MT guy!

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2008, 11:04 AM   #73
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Footie when are you getting your car?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2008, 04:38 PM   #74
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Curious, which trans. are you going with?

And, which colors are you considering?
Manual is my gearbox of choice purely for the added involvement.

Heck, what colour haven't I considered, I like SSII with both Fox Red and Palladium Silver, I also like Space Grey with both and I love white but the thought of trying to keeping it clean turns me green, Jerez Black is great but the CF roof is lost so it's out, Sparkling Graphite is to dull and red & blue are just not me.

I am waiting to see a car with Palladium Silver in the fresh as the sample I saw looks good if a little light. Also the Fox Red I saw wasn't the extended leather which I want and I am currently unsure if it wouldn't be a bit OTT. The problem I have without the ex-leather is the door panel carry on with the colour pass where the dash is and it just looks wrong to me.

I would also love to see a car with 18" stock rims as I prefer the look but am concerned they will look to small.

Decisions, decisions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid
Footie when are you getting your car?
It in their books for Sept/Oct delivery as this is the plate change in the UK and though I'm from Northern Ireland we try to match their plate changes as it gives us a larger market when it comes to selling the car on and the newer reg plate means more value.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2008, 05:13 PM   #75
enigma
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 and Elise

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
devo,

What they are saying about the differences between the DSK/DCT vs manual on a back road is very true but like everything unless the same driver to doing the comparison the results will differ. By this I mean if you aren't that great of a driver and happen to be in the DCT car then you will still be whipped by a decent driver in a manual. The car is but a tool and it's what you do with it that is important.
We finally agree on something.

The people for who the performance of the DCT is make or break know who they are. They are also likely not struggling with their decision.

For everyone else, buy whatever makes you happy.
Appreciate 0