BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

08-15-2011, 03:15 PM   #1
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3, Space Gray

Re-paint APracing Calipers and disc hats - suggestions?

Hey fella's,

Well, It looks like my only option other than purchasing new brakes is to re-paint the disc hats and calipers since off the shelf wheel cleaners pretty much destroyed the paint finish. Refer to my pictures.

I will be ordering new hardware which is required for removing the disc hats.

The plan is to remove the hats (front/rear disc hubs) and repaint them with high-temp caliper/exhaust/engine paint. Satin Black.

Calipers will be removed, cleaned and most hardware & pads removed, some parts taped off (bleed valves, bottom transfer tube, etc)

Re-paint the calipers black with same type of high-temp paint.

The only problem is how to not paint over the yellow APracing logo? Or what to use to repaint the logo so it looks the same?

Should I try to tape the logo off and touch it up, or re-paint th logo with a small brush using yellow hi-temp paint after the calipers are painted and dried? Would i need to scuff up the yellow logo paint or remove it?

What methods, suggestions to you all have? I'v reviewed some online links but most are re-painting their calipers in a very "Ghetto" half-ass way.

I want to make this look as good as possible without sending my brakes off tor a month.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-15-2011, 03:20 PM   #2
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

how'd it get this way? Through track use or use of the cheap brake cleaners?

I say just leave it be. I come from a community that loved to repaint our red Brembos (on the Evo 8/9). It's hell of a lot of work, and over time they will fade again.

Don't forget these steps:

1. sand down the finish with ultra-fine sand paper
2. reclear after painting if you want the gloss look.

AS with logos, it's hard but I would tape over it.

But for others who are buying after market calipers, they will fade over time, especially the entry level glossy colored ones. No matter what brand, they will peel and fade. And absoulately do not clean them with anything other than water...

Last edited by mdosu; 08-15-2011 at 03:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2011, 03:28 PM   #3
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep

Thaks for the quick reply. I posted another thread addressing the paint damage/discoloration on the wheel/brake forum. you can see it there. But bottom line is, the off the shelf wheel cleaners just damaged the paint.

I can't just leave it the way it is. Not on this car. So I got to do something here. Anything will be better than what it looks like. One thing for sure, after I re-paint and replace the hats, paint the calipers, I'm never ever using any of those wheel cleaners such as Meguires and Formula 1 shit. No need.

Anyway, I'm thinking after removing as much grease, brake dust, and clean the calipers up, I'll remove them completely, remove the pads and some hardware, tape off what I can and repaint the surface. It'll be a big job but gonna have too.

The hats and hardware will just be replaced so I'm only dealing with painting the calipers.

Big question is; can I just apply high-temp caliper black paint to the calipers without removing the old original paint? Will it stick well and stay on?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2011, 04:00 PM   #4
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep

it'll stick on, just sand down as I mentioned, and spray on the new paint.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2011, 04:02 PM   #5
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep

Ok, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2011, 08:09 PM   #6
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep

http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-how...embos-how.html

may need to modify, but you get the idea.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2011, 08:23 PM   #7
BMW Fanatic
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: slow

I have no idea but as far as the logo goes, use some tracing paper and a sharp object to trace around the lettering, then cut it out to make a stencil.. Once you have painted the whole thing just tape down the stencil you made and paint from there. I don't see an easier or quicker way to get the good job done. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2011, 08:36 PM   #8
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep

you need lots and lots of patience and time for this project. You won't be driving your car for 2 days for so.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2011, 03:21 AM   #9
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep

Thanks fella's for the inputs. I think I'm gonna just re-paint the hats which will require me to dissasemble them and replace the hardware. That will be fairly easy and straight foreward. As for the calipers, I'm just going bite the bullet and send them off to IND for re-paint and conditioning. I guess I could probebly do it, but it won't come out as good so worth it to me.

Oh well, lesson learned about using those damn wheel cleaners.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 12:59 PM   #10
warpig666
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 335i LCI

Did you ever get this done? I'm getting a set of ST-40's and I want to repaint them as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 05:43 PM   #11
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep

Yes, a while back end of last year I posted some pictures of my AP's repainted. Here are a few pictures of the brakes after IND painted them and I installed them back on. I don't drive my M3 much around here but they still look just as good now as they did the day I got my calipers back and installed about 6 months ago.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 10:11 PM   #12
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep

^ looks great!
Appreciate 0