BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

EXXEL Distributions

08-06-2013, 07:57 PM   #1
visualvaccine
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
Rear facing Valentine 1 Sensor - Anyone tried detaching it?

I just got my V1 today in the mail. I've been researching the ideal installation setup for a bit now. My person opinion would be to mount it directly infront of the rear view mirror. This would obviously block the rear facing sensor.

So my question - Has anyone seen any installations where the rear facing sensor was removed from the device and mounted in the rear of the car and then hard wired back to the main unit?

I'm going to pick up a set of the star screw drivers and take the unit apart tonight or tomorrow. I have yet to see what the inside of the unit looks like.

EDIT:

I think I found the answer I was looking for.

"Another thing; the really sophisticated direction finding and bogey counting that V1 has requires perfectly synchronized information from the front and rear antenna. It's possible to maintain that synchronization when the system in broken apart into units at the front and rear of the car, but you pay F-15 prices. My best compromise between maintaining performance on the one hand, and hiding the detector on the other, is the Concealed Display. This keeps V1 in the window where it works great, but operates "dark;" all the light-up warnings are transferred to a small Display that you can locate where only you will see it."

Last edited by visualvaccine; 08-07-2013 at 02:18 PM.. Reason: Found answer
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 08:28 PM   #2
ducman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

You should just do this then: http://www.radar-mirror.com/V1.html
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 08:41 PM   #3
visualvaccine
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducman View Post
You should just do this then: http://www.radar-mirror.com/V1.html
I saw that, but wouldn't I still need to have the clunky main unit installed on my windshield anyway? I saw the rear mounted idea but I'm unclear on how well it will function.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 08:49 PM   #4
ducman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

You would have to mount the concealed display + the remote audio adapter somewhere. The main unit would be in the headrest. You would have to take the main unit a part though.

So I guess what I'm saying is, if the main unit is working inside the headrest (losing laser), shouldn't mounting your V1 behind the rear view mirror work without detaching anything?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 01:05 PM   #5
TexasSpartan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 E85 3.0si

I'm trying this setup out where I have the main unit somewhat concealed under a E46 M3 alarm cover I purchased off ebay on the rear decklid in the center. I have the concealed display up front. Seems to have cut down the detectors range somewhat but still doing a trial run. My main goal was to eliminate having to take the detector down everytime I left the car while out as I had my last V1 stolen in a smash n grab while my car was parked right in front of the restaurant's front door.
2007 E90 335i Sold
2006 E90 330i Sold
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 02:51 PM   #6
visualvaccine
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
New idea... Buy a second, used V1 for the back and hook that one up to the remote display. That way the front one could just ignore the rear sensor and be mounted infront of the mirror. Heck, that could even have the front of it facing backwards so it gets better signal out the back. I prob won't do that but it's a thought.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 09:10 PM   #7
TexasSpartan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by visualvaccine View Post
I just got my V1 today in the mail. I've been researching the ideal installation setup for a bit now. My person opinion would be to mount it directly infront of the rear view mirror. This would obviously block the rear facing sensor.

So my question - Has anyone seen any installations where the rear facing sensor was removed from the device and mounted in the rear of the car and then hard wired back to the main unit?

I'm going to pick up a set of the star screw drivers and take the unit apart tonight or tomorrow. I have yet to see what the inside of the unit looks like.

EDIT:

"Another thing; the really sophisticated direction finding and bogey counting that V1 has requires perfectly synchronized information from the front and rear antenna. It's possible to maintain that synchronization when the system in broken apart into units at the front and rear of the car, but you pay F-15 prices. My best compromise between maintaining performance on the one hand, and hiding the detector on the other, is the Concealed Display. This keeps V1 in the window where it works great, but operates "dark;" all the light-up warnings are transferred to a small Display that you can locate where only you will see it."
= voided warranty.
2007 E90 335i Sold
2006 E90 330i Sold
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 09:24 PM   #8
visualvaccine
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSpartan View Post
= voided warranty.
Yeah, I think that goes without saying.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 01:06 PM   #9
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: when at all possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSpartan View Post
I'm trying this setup out where I have the main unit somewhat concealed under a E46 M3 alarm cover I purchased off ebay on the rear decklid in the center. I have the concealed display up front. Seems to have cut down the detectors range somewhat but still doing a trial run. My main goal was to eliminate having to take the detector down everytime I left the car while out as I had my last V1 stolen in a smash n grab while my car was parked right in front of the restaurant's front door.

That's interesting. I mounted my unit in one of the rear headrests, and have had no issues w/performance. I determined this as there is a place where it always falses, so I tried it in the windshield and visually marked the distance about 4 or 5x, then traveled down the same spot once the install was complete. No difference. Lost laser capability, of course, but that isn't an issue.

How's the backup cam treating you?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 03:18 PM   #10
Trunks
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 335i

I like the idea; seems like the concealed mirror display would achieve similar results with a lot less work though.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 03:48 PM   #11
TexasSpartan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whats77inaname View Post
That's interesting. I mounted my unit in one of the rear headrests, and have had no issues w/performance. I determined this as there is a place where it always falses, so I tried it in the windshield and visually marked the distance about 4 or 5x, then traveled down the same spot once the install was complete. No difference. Lost laser capability, of course, but that isn't an issue.

How's the backup cam treating you?
Back up cam is outstanding! Use it everyday, especially in the parking garage at work where it's hard to see vehicles coming down the ramp.

I repositioned the V1 on the rear decklid today and seems to have made a difference. No loss of laser with my setup since it's not fully concealed.
2007 E90 335i Sold
2006 E90 330i Sold
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 03:49 PM   #12
TexasSpartan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks View Post
I like the idea; seems like the concealed mirror display would achieve similar results with a lot less work though.
Lots of $$$ though. Other than the V1, I've got maybe $25 tied up in my setup.
2007 E90 335i Sold
2006 E90 330i Sold
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 04:00 PM   #13
visualvaccine
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks View Post
Here's what I don't get about the mirror displays... Wouldn't you still need to mount the V1 in a relatively obvious place anyway? If the ideal spot for it is right under the mirror, then what's the point of the mirror display?

I would absolutely love to have the V1 out of site and have the mirror setup, but I'm guessing the only solution for that is mounting it in the rear.

When people say it kills the laser detector, why exactly is that? And why are people okay with that being the case?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 04:14 PM   #14
nullrouted
Studying...
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW '13 E92 ZCP 6MT M3

Quote:

EDIT:

Is there a specific reason you want to mount it in front of the mirror? What about just using a blendmount underneath the mirror? That is what I was planning to do with my old V1 when I upgrade it.

If not that, I agree with whats77inaname, rear headrest is a good spot for it with the concealed display (bonus points for doing the radar-mirror with it).
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 04:17 PM   #15
nullrouted
Studying...
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW '13 E92 ZCP 6MT M3

Quote:
Here's what I don't get about the mirror displays... Wouldn't you still need to mount the V1 in a relatively obvious place anyway? If the ideal spot for it is right under the mirror, then what's the point of the mirror display?

I would absolutely love to have the V1 out of site and have the mirror setup, but I'm guessing the only solution for that is mounting it in the rear.

When people say it kills the laser detector, why exactly is that? And why are people okay with that being the case?
Kills the laser detector because laser is a very small beam, unlike radar which is more like a floodlight. The laser has to get very close/hit the sensor to register at all, and if the V1 is mounted somewhere other than the windshield, it's pretty unlikely that it will see the laser. Even with it mounted on the windshield, DO NOT expect it to actually save you from lasers, it won't (from personal experience). You may get an alert, but by the time you do it's far too late. Your only feasible defense against lasers is a full laser-interceptor (or similar) system that can jam them and alert you. In FL, many LEOs are now using lasers almost exclusively, so I plan to install an LI system when I've got free cash between the other mods I want to do
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 04:18 PM   #16
visualvaccine
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullrouted View Post
Is there a specific reason you want to mount it in front of the mirror? What about just using a blendmount underneath the mirror? That is what I was planning to do with my old V1 when I upgrade it.

If not that, I agree with whats77inaname, rear headrest is a good spot for it with the concealed display (bonus points for doing the radar-mirror with it).
Only reason for putting it infront of the mirror would be so it's just not right in your face in the middle of the car. I'd assume that infront of the mirror you wouldn't even notice it. I think I'm going to suck it up and just get a Blendmount instead. I'm afraid of the loss of performance moving it to the back of the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 06:01 PM   #17
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: when at all possible

Quote:

The primary reason I'm okay w/the laser detection being deleted is that b/c I'm in the camp that believes if you get hit, you're done anyway. So, I have the V1 for detection and another tool for other situations

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=765432
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 07:29 PM   #18
edwinm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

I have mine on the windshield and the concealed display on the ashtray
Attached Images

Grigio Telesto M4, 6MT.
Coyote 5.0 F-150
991 GT3
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 08:15 PM   #19
alee0729
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3, 2018 Tesla 3 Perf

I wish someone would make a P3cars.com style air vent remote display for the V1.
      08-08-2013, 09:23 PM   #20
visualvaccine
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by alee0729 View Post
I wish someone would make a P3cars.com style air vent remote display for the V1.
That is sick!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 09:34 PM   #21
alee0729
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3, 2018 Tesla 3 Perf

Quote:
That is sick!
Yeah I'd pay big bucks if that display also integrated V1. So clean and nice!
      08-08-2013, 09:40 PM   #22
TexasSpartan
Lieutenant
Rep

Found out tonight that my laser works with my setup. Luckily, I didn't get tagged but it did go off.
2007 E90 335i Sold
2006 E90 330i Sold
Appreciate 0