BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

04-19-2008, 10:15 PM   #45
par4bmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 370Z & My JK Toy

Wow! I thought I was a fanatic. Hats off to you for so much love for your M. Enjoy
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2008, 10:26 PM   #46
drvai
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bills742 View Post
Well, yesterday was my day for delivery...for those who are still waiting, the day does actually happen, eventually. It was a loooong day. I started off the day around 9 A.M. driving about .5 hours to Dulles airport to pick up my rental car. The dealer is located about 220 miles from my house, and I didn't want to pay for gas in an SUV for that stretch. The rental car desk asked me if I wanted to prepay for gas. I said no...ended up being a bad decision. Picked up my awesome Aveo (blue color, almost reminded me of LSB and headed toward State College, PA around 9:30.

I'm going to clear bra the car when I get it back to VA, so my plan was to blue tape overlayed with duct tape the front end to prevent rock chips. What better car is there than a rental car to test a section of my proposed plan (in case some weird reaction happens with duct tape on top of painters tape). So I put two small strips of painters tape with one strip of duct tape on the roof of my smurfmobile.

So I get to University Park Airport about 3.5 hours after driving. And look for a gas station in my TomTom. Nothing for about 8 miles. So I think, that's not too bad. Anyone thinking of returning a car to this airport, get gas long before you reach there. I end driving through the Penn State campus and traffic is backed up like crazy. I finally find a gas station, and of course, it ends up being full service only. Great, so all that money I saved by not asking National to refill the car with gas will go to the gas station attendant, not to mention the hour I lost by my detour to find a gas station. At this point, I was getting really frustrated, I just wanted my M3! The guy filling the gas takes his sweet time to wash the windshields, front and back, on a rental car I was about to return 1 hour ago. Then he asks, "what's going on with your roof (referring to the tape)?" I say, "it's a long story" and he's satisfied with my response.

Reach the airport, again, and wait for my CA to pick me up. When he saw me, he probably thought, what are all those bags for? I had a messenger bag and two Home Depot bags full of tape, scissors, etc. While riding to the dealership, he tells me that my M3 mats he ordered several weeks ago have not arrived yet. He says "you have three options, you can get the regular 3-series mats, the all weather mats, or wait for the M3 mats". Keep in mind that I already paid him $95 for the M3 mats that he ordered. I jokingly (but being serious) asked him "how about giving me the all weather mats for the ride home". I couldn't believe what he told me next, something to the fact "how about paper mats for the ride home". What an ass!

Get to the dealership, and there she is. All dirty and unwashed like I asked for. My CA did respect my wishes on this request. Car odometer only has 3 miles on it. I begin taping the car. It took FOREVER. About 4 hours later, it was done. I had a part blue, part jet black e92 M3. The drive back home was much more pleasurable then the drive there to say the least. The car really is a black beast. It feels like it has limitless power. Driving the car and knowing that you're faster than 99.9% of your fellow commuters is a very powerful feeling. The DCT does feel like a manual transmission (if you blindfolded a passenger and asked them what kind of transmission it was, I'm sure they would say a manual), at least in S mode which is what I spent most of my time in. Anyways, the car is awesome, sorry for the long story, thanks for listening, heading back out to drive!

Oh yea, already have about 250 miles on the odometer. The long drive made the break-in that much shorter.
What about the headlamps?

Looks like a pre-production car with camouflage. Maybe someone took photos thinking that was a CSL!

Enjoy the car!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2008, 10:31 PM   #47
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

This thread will be a classic.

Zoloft! You guys crack me up. Maybe Xanax in the meantime till the Zoloft kicks in?
      04-19-2008, 11:25 PM   #48
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

lol you are nuts. but i probably would have done the same. this time i got a clear bra right after i took delivery.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2008, 11:34 PM   #49
SpencerM3
Sauce
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 SSII E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmtclimber View Post
my favorite part is that you left the headlight washers untaped. hahahaha. PERFECTION!
SO TRUE!

Also the left air vent thats on the hood that is strictly there for show was left open.
2009 E90 M3 | Silverstone II | Black Novillo | HRE P40's | Akrapovic Exhaust | Eibach Pro Kit | Jet Black Kidney Grilles | SSII Side Reflectors | SSII Side Gills | LUX H8 Angel Eyes | Macht Schnell Filter | Tecnocraft Envy Charge Pipe

"M3 drivers have no friends." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2008, 01:05 AM   #50
bills742
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C, '08 M3, '20 323Ci

Just some comments and answers to your questions. I plan on keeping the car for a long time, so I'm not getting the clear bra for the next person, I'm getting it for myself. I have an AW e46 right now and the front end is littered with chips. Don't want to see that happen again.

The reason why I traveled that far is because of this thread:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127417

I originally had a week 19 production slot, but the seller mentioned in that thread was for real, thus, I have my car about 6 weeks earlier. Trust me, I didn't travel all the way to State College for the scenic drive.

I could have gotten my girlfriend to drive me up and drive back, but she wanted to ride with me on the way back. Thus we rented a car. Miles are unlimited and it probably cost about $70 more to rent the car versus paying for gas for 2 cars on the way back. The enjoyment of spending you're first 200 miles with someone who has lived through me checking m3post on a daily basis = priceless.

Looking at the pics, I can see how you guys think I'm nuts. I'm glad I could provide a good laugh for so many of you. Anyways, soon she will be detailed and bra'd and the car will look how she was meant to from the factory. Until she gets modded that is...
'08 M3 JB DCT Coupe /// DTEC Cree LED Angel Eyes / Mtech Super White Cornering Lights / Matte Black Kidneys & Gilles / 35-40% FormulaOne Pinnacle / VRS Boot / VRS II Diffuser / AA exhaust / Fabspeed HFC & X-pipe / Eibach Springs / RDSport Front Bumper / 19" Satin Charcoal HRE P40 / RPI Scoops / PSW (Non-electronic) / BMW Stainless Steel Pedals / LeatherZ Alcantara Boots
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2008, 01:57 AM   #51
dangoma
Your Mom
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:
Just some comments and answers to your questions. I plan on keeping the car for a long time, so I'm not getting the clear bra for the next person, I'm getting it for myself. I have an AW e46 right now and the front end is littered with chips. Don't want to see that happen again.

I originally had a week 19 production slot, but the seller mentioned in that thread was for real, thus, I have my car about 6 weeks earlier. Trust me, I didn't travel all the way to State College for the scenic drive.

I could have gotten my girlfriend to drive me up and drive back, but she wanted to ride with me on the way back. Thus we rented a car. Miles are unlimited and it probably cost about $70 more to rent the car versus paying for gas for 2 cars on the way back. The enjoyment of spending you're first 200 miles with someone who has lived through me checking m3post on a daily basis = priceless.

Looking at the pics, I can see how you guys think I'm nuts. I'm glad I could provide a good laugh for so many of you. Anyways, soon she will be detailed and bra'd and the car will look how she was meant to from the factory. Until she gets modded that is...
Please post pics, post tape exaggeration, I am intrigued to see what it looks like without all the tape.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2008, 05:41 AM   #52
kbk_75
Lieutenant
India
Rep
Drives: Alpine White E92 M3

Quote:

Fair enough! Enjoy the new M!

This thread WILL be a classic!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2008, 01:32 PM   #53
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechoong View Post
That tape job is... errmm... a little over the top
+1 But major respect for the 'anality' (yes, made up but you get it)

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2008, 02:03 PM   #54
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:

Most of us (me included) are just kidding around with you. Enjoy the car. I'm dying having to wait for my next vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2008, 07:04 PM   #55
valeram
Major
Rep
Drives: 992 TTS, 991.2 GT3 T, F80 M3 C

The weight distribution now is 60 -40, front heavy. Grats.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2008, 11:25 PM   #56
FusionM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Hello,

I just noticed you ordered an M3 and are driving an 03 335i. What are you going to do with your 335i? I am curious because I recently traded mine in after only having it for 3 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama M3 View Post
Congrats. Nice car, and really nice tape job.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2008, 04:39 PM   #57
Vegasmach1
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 C63;Mustang Mach1(2)

Garage List
Wow, I have to make my first post in this thread. Thanks you for a good chuckle. That is an unbeleviable amount of work. My hat's off to you. When I place my order in 7 months or so I will be almost as anal. But as it has been said before they are just cars.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 09:13 AM   #58
hogtownm3
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by djburkeen View Post
jeeebus man, its only a damn car. and i dont understand how you could have saved money by renting a car. its not like they dont charge you per mile on top of the upfront rental fee. i would have just had a buddy drive me up there. but he might not have wanted to spend his day watching you tape up your car lol.

seriously though, i have been anal about my cars before (not that anal but pretty anal), then i had a kid, now i am not anal about anything. life is too short to be worrying about a rock chip or light scratch or two. btw go to langka.com for a great product for touching up rock chips.

enjoy your new m though.
+1

Having kids does change your priorities. I'll probably even take my M3 through a carwash (my kids love 'em, especially the ones with different colored soaps!!)
'14 Mercedes Benz C250
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 12:44 PM   #59
Krank
Wanabe M3 Driver
Rep
Drives: 740i (M3 Coupe soon)

That is seriously awesome man!

It is refreshing to find other people that are so passionate about their vehicles.
      04-23-2008, 07:46 PM   #60
zkM3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MTAW (05/20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by seriousm3 View Post
I do the same thing for the 1300mi bimmerfest drive from seattle to S. barbara CAli.

not that extreme though, just the front bumper.
I'm planning a PD and I live In NYC, Blue tape was my last option. I saw the tape dentist use as a barrier for their equipment, it doen'st leave any residue, I already tried it in my car, left it for 1 wk..you can get it in clear or blue........

BUT as i was searching for that tape online, I came across a carpet protector tape or hardwood tape...it is clear , 2 ft width and 3 mil thick and only 11 bucks for a 50 ft roll...will try it next wk....Something to consider over that ugly blue tape.......
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 09:30 PM   #61
AMPowerJ
One mod leads to another ...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownm3 View Post
+1

Having kids does change your priorities. I'll probably even take my M3 through a carwash (my kids love 'em, especially the ones with different colored soaps!!)
Funny you say that. My kids love the colored soap too; and the fruity smell. Too funny.
Appreciate 0