BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

04-30-2008, 10:58 PM   #23
reinaldo335
First Lieutenant
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: m3 ZCP 6MT, on order 09 m3 6MT

e92 is the same tranny as the e46 m3, right? beacuse i loved my last e46 m3 6mt it was the best car, i donīt understand how somebody sells his 2008 m3 because he didnīt liked the 6mt.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2008, 11:16 PM   #24
Davo2003
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe Jerez and loaded

I put 11K miles on a 2006 330i MT sport package. It was smooth as silk and a dream to drive so I have no idea what you are talking about in this thread.
      04-30-2008, 11:18 PM   #25
Krueger///M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 HPF 2.5, 2008 M3 (Sold)

Garage List
2002 BMW ///M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW ///M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDCTFTW View Post
You rang?
I wasn't even thinking of that But yes, you should join this conversation.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2008, 11:40 PM   #26
masmole
Captain
Rep
Drives: blue, gray, brown cars

I think I know what Pancho is referring to when he says "bite" or "crunch" in the 6MT. I'm not sure what other cars he has driven as a basis of comparison but the shifter in the M3 definitely has some weirdness in the way it goes into each gear slot... it's sometimes vague, sometimes not, sometimes notchy, sometimes not, sometimes you're not sure if it's all the way in gear, sometmes not, depends on which gear your upshifting or downshifting from... but bottomline, it's not very consistent feeling, not very uniform and lacks precision. While it's not as bad as he is describing (I've driven far worse manual trannies than this), I definitely expected more refinement. Coming from my RS4 and jumping in for a test drive in the new M3 with 6MT, the shifter slop/imprecision is definitely significant compared to the Audi. Perhaps that's what Pancho is talking about. Some people are just more nitpicky than others, so can't blame the guy for being a little OCD. Or perhaps he is just spoiled like me when it comes to manual trannies. The RS4 truly has a fantastic shifter that reeks of precision even after 2 years of hard use. This is why I passed on the 6MT M3 that I originally ordered which arrived last month and waiting for my dealer's next M-DCT coupe allocation which is set for week 24.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2008, 11:47 PM   #27
Hans Delbruck
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63, 135i, Evo FE, GLE63

Pancho, it's definitely better that you sold sooner rather than later. If you don't like it, NOT WORTH IT. I've been there myself. If you are not happy, it's a waste of time and $$ to keep it.

Are you considering anything else beside the RS4?
      04-30-2008, 11:48 PM   #28
Pancho
Commander
Mexico
Rep
Drives: BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by masmole View Post
I think I know what Pancho is referring to when he says "bite" or "crunch" in the 6MT. I'm not sure what other cars he has driven as a basis of comparison but the shifter in the M3 definitely has some weirdness in the way it goes into each gear slot... it's sometimes vague, sometimes not, sometimes notchy, sometimes not, sometimes you're not sure if it's all the way in gear, sometmes not, depends on which gear your upshifting or downshifting from... but bottomline, it's not very consistent feeling, not very uniform and lacks precision. While it's not as bad as he is describing (I've driven far worse manual trannies than this), I definitely expected more refinement. Coming from my RS4 and jumping in for a test drive in the new M3 with 6MT, the shifter slop/imprecision is definitely significant compared to the Audi. Perhaps that's what Pancho is talking about. Some people are just more nitpicky than others, so can't blame the guy for being a little OCD. Or perhaps he is just spoiled like me when it comes to manual trannies. The RS4 truly has a fantastic shifter that reeks of precision even after 2 years of hard use. This is why I passed on the 6MT M3 that I originally ordered which arrived last month and waiting for my dealer's next M-DCT coupe allocation which is set for week 24.
Yep. The MT is imprecise and unpredictable and for me that is enough reason to get rid of the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2008, 11:51 PM   #29
Pancho
Commander
Mexico
Rep
Drives: BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Delbruck View Post
Pancho, it's definitely better than you sold sooner rather than later. If you don't like it, NOT WORTH IT. I've been there myself. If you are not happy, it's a waste of time and $$ to keep it.

Are you considering anything else beside the RS4?
Due to my dissapointment I will take some time to make a decision. Still the RS4 is phase out so there is a big depreciation penalty. Could be M3 DCT.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2008, 12:16 AM   #30
skierman64
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3-E46M3-E46Wagon-E89Z4-E36

Garage List
1994 325is Race Car  [0.00]
2011 BMW Z4  [0.00]
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Wow, next time you decide to throw away $15K without attempting to fix the problem trying to fix it with a much less expensive short shift kit, just write me a check. I could have taken your car, had ssk professionally installed, given it back to you for under $1k.

Must be nice to be able to make those kinds of expensive decisions. Seems very rash to me.
      05-01-2008, 12:57 AM   #31
440hpe46
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

This doesn't sound right...especially if someone is proclaiming that the RS4's gearbox is far superior to the new M's....
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2008, 01:24 AM   #32
DJ9
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3_SG

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancho View Post
Due to my dissapointment I will take some time to make a decision. Still the RS4 is phase out so there is a big depreciation penalty. Could be M3 DCT.
Hmm, let's recap.. you care about depreciation in an RS4 yet you take a $15K hit by drastically selling your new car. You've owned two pure BMW automatics(non SMG/DCT) and non BMW MT's; yet you believe the MT in the M3 is unpredictable and not precise.

No offense, but these statements are flooded with contradictions and credibility is lacking.

Just wondering, but did it ever occur to you that this could be "user error" or simply acclimation to a new vehicle?

I've owned a 330 MT, e46M3 MT, and e92M3 MT; all of which i enjoyed. The gear box definitely takes some getting used to and breaking in; however it becomes effortless IMO....doesn't even cross my mind I'm changing gears.

Possibly BMW's aren't for you perhaps

2008 E92M3-Space Gray
Eisenmann Sport Exhaust_MT/Loaded
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2008, 01:33 AM   #33
masmole
Captain
Rep
Drives: blue, gray, brown cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by 440hpe46 View Post
This doesn't sound right...especially if someone is proclaiming that the RS4's gearbox is far superior to the new M's....
I'm not saying the gearbox is superior in the RS4, but rather it just feels better and more precise when you slot it into each gear. That is all. "Precise" being just a subjective description of how ideally tactile the mechanism feels to me, nothing indicating that the gearbox and the rest of the transmission itself is superior in operation. People have different tastes. For example, there are is some maniac out there who enjoys driving through rush hour traffic in a 997 GT3 with a brutally firm clutch and the notchy shifter to go with it... because they like it. Not that there's anything wrong with that
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2008, 01:49 AM   #34
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Pancho, did you test drive the car before you bought it? Just curious...
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2008, 02:22 AM   #35
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Pancho, did you test drive the car before you bought it? Just curious...
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2008, 02:28 AM   #36
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Yes Krueger. I need to be completely satisfied to keep the car, otherwise I just unload and move on. I still think the RS4, which in fact was my other option, would have been better. I am sure RS4 MT is way better than the M3's.
Your right that the RS4 has a better gear change, same of the S5 which really shouldn't be the case with them both having their gearboxes connected to their quattro system.

The first M3 is drove was fine but the second also crunched between 1st and 2rd and no it's not right. I reckon the second example was a bad one, now after hearing you that might not have been the case.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2008, 02:56 AM   #37
Takumi587
///M3 Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05' M3 and 21' Tesla Model 3

Garage List
I def. got to try out this 6-MT then. I have SMG right now in my E46 M3 and man the jerkiness is annoying as hell. And i really hate it when I come to a stop on a hill and takes forever to get into 1st gear. I tried the 335i gearbox and ya it is really smooth and you really can't tell if you are in a gear when you shift. Not as sporty as you would like it to be. However, the M3 I have yet to engage in... So pancho can you please provide more feedback as to how the car felt? was it the clutch and the gearbox or just the gearbox itself?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2008, 03:26 AM   #38
Leg
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 V8 Alpine White

What a load of steaming horse poo.

Unpredictable? How the hell can a manual box be unpredictable? You jump on the clutch, you yank the stick to the gear you want. How easy does it have to be? Even my wife can do it (with a crappy Merc MT, now THAT is a crap MT).

As for the RS4 and S5 having a better gearbox, that's the fly turd on top of the pile of horse poo. Driven em all and they are all equally fine. Ever wondered if the problem lies in the driver and not the tools at hand?

Best laugh I've had since the last dumb thread.

E92 M3, Breyton GTS 19s, black and carbon all over
Factory Mini John Cooper Works 211bhp
MK Indy R track car (road legal) 300bhp+ per ton, sequential box
VW Tiguan 4x4
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2008, 04:11 AM   #39
dgm3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 E36/E46 M2C

Quote:
Yes, I have owned a 330i and a 545i both automatics. The M3 gearbox reminded of a VW Rabbit, one of my first MT cars.
Ok, your references are automatics cars...this explains everything. The MT of the E92 is excellent ...although a little bit too smooth (I personnally like notchiness in a supposedly sport car) and light clutch for my tastes.
What about an AMG as next car?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2008, 06:26 AM   #40
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leg View Post
What a load of steaming horse poo.

Unpredictable? How the hell can a manual box be unpredictable? You jump on the clutch, you yank the stick to the gear you want. How easy does it have to be? Even my wife can do it (with a crappy Merc MT, now THAT is a crap MT).

As for the RS4 and S5 having a better gearbox, that's the fly turd on top of the pile of horse poo. Driven em all and they are all equally fine. Ever wondered if the problem lies in the driver and not the tools at hand?

Best laugh I've had since the last dumb thread.
Leg,

You should know whether the M3 box is fine as yours should be well run-in by now. The two examples I drove had less than 600miles and the other 900miles, so both weren't well worn in. Like I said the first one was fine, no complains there but the other wasn't good at all and compared to my well run-in S5 it was piss poor in comparison.

It was a bad idea to compare the RS4 to the M3 by the OP and equally a bad idea my me to agree and add my point about the S5. Silly move on an M3 website.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2008, 06:53 AM   #41
Keto
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [10.00]
Next time you want to buy a new car and then sell it immediately after taking the depreciation, PM me so I can enjoy a new car at a fabulous discount.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2008, 07:20 AM   #42
Leg
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 V8 Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Leg,

You should know whether the M3 box is fine as yours should be well run-in by now. The two examples I drove had less than 600miles and the other 900miles, so both weren't well worn in. Like I said the first one was fine, no complains there but the other wasn't good at all and compared to my well run-in S5 it was piss poor in comparison.

It was a bad idea to compare the RS4 to the M3 by the OP and equally a bad idea my me to agree and add my point about the S5. Silly move on an M3 website.
Lol, I know, 3 months ago I would have argued that the TT was the best car in the world. It clearly isnt but if I own one, I'll argue the point till the cows come home. The only thing I'll ever say on a motoring forum that I actually really, really mean and will never cave on is that FWD has no place on a supposed 'sports car' and there are pages and pages of me arguing that very point in the Mk2 section of the TTF.

I find the gearbox fine on the M3 in all seriousness but I do tend to change gears fast and furiously (oops). It isnt as smooth as say, my Dad's MX5 but then again he has a pawltry 150bhp or something. Mind you I would rather pull over, get under the car and change the gear with a spanner each time it needed to change up or down than live with one of these new fangled autodsgdctstronic box things.

E92 M3, Breyton GTS 19s, black and carbon all over
Factory Mini John Cooper Works 211bhp
MK Indy R track car (road legal) 300bhp+ per ton, sequential box
VW Tiguan 4x4
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2008, 07:28 AM   #43
ToddMcF2002
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 (Sold)

The OP needs to stick to his automatics. Perhaps one of those girly DCT thingys would suit
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2008, 07:39 AM   #44
Patricius
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 325xi, 05 M3 cpe, 08 M3 cpe

I'm still failing to see why he'd take a $15,000 punch in the balls after driving so few miles put on the car.
Appreciate 0