BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

11-06-2008, 01:56 PM   #23
sfbimmer13
Original Bavarian Heritage
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ9 View Post
Same, however I was told to think about moving up to the Mixed last time I was there. I like intermediate though, and booked it again. It's a fast pace and still allows you to focus on technique; which is good for me and the setup I'm using right now.

Save me a spot next to you and i'll do the same, maybe the same row as last time.
sure thing - I plan to be there around 7:00am
      11-06-2008, 01:57 PM   #24
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

OK thanks. How about your BMW CCA chapter? How many groups do they run?

Here, they run 1,2,3,4. One is Advanced, and I have no idea what the others are officially called, but 4 is novice. I got bumped to 2 recently. 3&4 have some really slow drivers (I'm not talking about car/hp related issues, just slow driving). That is naturally supposed to happen in 4, but when that happens in 3, it can be problematic. Just curious about what people's experiences are elsewhere.
      11-06-2008, 02:02 PM   #25
DJ9
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3_SG

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post

Here, they run 1,2,3,4. One is Advanced, and I have no idea what the others are officially called, but 4 is novice. I got bumped to 2 recently. 3&4 have some really slow drivers (I'm not talking about car/hp related issues, just slow driving). That is naturally supposed to happen in 4, but when that happens in 3, it can be problematic. Just curious about what people's experiences are elsewhere.
Same here. BMCA Golden Gate Chapter (the one i belong to) has A, B, C, D and now they introduced an R group. R group was Race prepped cars and basically almost no rules, and B, C, and D skill levels are based on attendance at BMW CCA events.

RE: Intermediate Group with TMR would actually be equal to, if not a bit faster, than Group B with BMW CCA.

2008 E92M3-Space Gray
Eisenmann Sport Exhaust_MT/Loaded

Last edited by DJ9; 11-06-2008 at 02:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2008, 02:08 PM   #26
sfbimmer13
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post

my experience with run groups varied largely depending on who ran the event. With TMR, Speedventures and HOD the intermediate run groups seemed to have been the sweet spot, both in terms of safety (point by rules) and speed. The most fun however in any intermediate run group with no slow drivers was at 2 PCA events from the Coastal Region (Monterrey) that I attended - incredibly well organized and great drivers...their intermediate would be equal to group 2 as stated by you...
      11-06-2008, 02:24 PM   #27
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

OK, thanks guys for the insights. Have fun this weekend. Our season is over.
      11-08-2008, 07:49 PM   #28
jbass524
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Follow up. This was the most fun I've had at a TMR event. sfbimmer13, I think we were parked next to each other? Or is this Rup... with the R Compounds?

Ran Mixed for the first time. It was a sweet spot for me; passed and got passed. It kind of turned into a point by group. I think I only made 1 pass w/o a point by. That's OK with me.

Was on street treads and working on my new suspension that I never quite got right. Couple of more days and then maybe I can keep up with the M3s. @#$% they're so fast out of the box.

I have video but haven't uploaded it yet. Haven't really reviewed it for lap time but I did see a 2:02 with a little wait for a pass after 9. I'll let you know when it's up. You might be in it.

I don't think we had any big crashes but that was the most crash-ridden event I've been part of. Hope everyone is OK. I'd think we would all remember we're there to work on a skill that's a hobby. Oh well.

Dave, Good seeing you again. I think your GF is gem. Your car OK?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2008, 12:52 AM   #29
sfbimmer13
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbass524 View Post
Follow up. This was the most fun I've had at a TMR event. sfbimmer13, I think we were parked next to each other? Or is this Rup... with the R Compounds?

Ran Mixed for the first time. It was a sweet spot for me; passed and got passed. It kind of turned into a point by group. I think I only made 1 pass w/o a point by. That's OK with me.

Was on street treads and working on my new suspension that I never quite got right. Couple of more days and then maybe I can keep up with the M3s. @#$% they're so fast out of the box.

I have video but haven't uploaded it yet. Haven't really reviewed it for lap time but I did see a 2:02 with a little wait for a pass after 9. I'll let you know when it's up. You might be in it.

I don't think we had any big crashes but that was the most crash-ridden event I've been part of. Hope everyone is OK. I'd think we would all remember we're there to work on a skill that's a hobby. Oh well.

I was parked right next to Dave It was very nice meeting you there and I hope to see you at future HPDE's again...that was a blast wasn't it?

Dave, I hope your car is going to be OK

Did you see that Yellow S2000 that crashed into the wall on the front straight...OMG that thing was a total loss, I just hope the driver is going to be OK

see you next time
Rupert
      11-10-2008, 11:23 AM   #30
DJ9
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Hey guys-

My car's in with the service department as we speak....the ABS/DSC/BRAKE lights came on all weekend.

That was a great event regardless of my "brake malfunction." I was happy enough to get at least 3.5 out of the 5 sessions completed; not to mention my girlfriend being completely calm for her first day at the track, was a huge plus.

I stil can't believe the wrecks that happend that day. I've only ever seen one crash at Infineon and that was back in 2005 with BMW CCA.

I'll let you know how the car turns out; I'm betting pads, rotors, or some sort DSC glitch.

We'll have to all do that again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfbimmer13 View Post
I was parked right next to Dave It was very nice meeting you there and I hope to see you at future HPDE's again...that was a blast wasn't it?

Dave, I hope your car is going to be OK

Did you see that Yellow S2000 that crashed into the wall on the front straight...OMG that thing was a total loss, I just hope the driver is going to be OK

see you next time
Rupert
Quote:

Attached Images

2008 E92M3-Space Gray

Last edited by DJ9; 11-11-2008 at 06:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2008, 08:14 PM   #31
jbass524
Major
Rep

Emailed TMR and the guy in the S2000 is OK. He only bruised his sternum. It was the airbag that did it.

Boy Rupert. You have me thinking about R-compounds after watching how fast you went. I don't think I can match your speed even if I had them but it's got me thinking. Do you have any lap times from that day?

Dave, We ended up only getting 4 sessions because of the accident. It was the last 2 run groups that were affected.

That was a blast and I will be at Infineon with TMR again next year.
A few laps from the second session

Last edited by jbass524; 11-10-2008 at 11:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 11:42 AM   #32
DJ9
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Emailed TMR and the guy in the S2000 is OK. He only bruised his sternum. It was the airbag that did it.

Boy Rupert. You have me thinking about R-compounds after watching how fast you went. I don't think I can match your speed even if I had them but it's got me thinking. Do you have any lap times from that day?

Dave, We ended up only getting 4 sessions because of the accident. It was the last 2 run groups that were affected.

That was a blast and I will be at Infineon with TMR again next year.
A few laps from the second session
Jan- Awesome video! You're taking some nice lines out there. Was that Rupert in front of you, or the other guy with the same color M3?

2008 E92M3-Space Gray

Last edited by DJ9; 11-11-2008 at 06:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 11:50 AM   #33
sfbimmer13
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Jan- Awesome video! You taking some nice lines out there. Was that Rupert in front of you, or the other guy with the same color M3?
wasn't me - I had my numbers on the window - so must have been the other Sparkling Graphite M3 + I never recall a Porsche getting that close to me

and Jan: great video :-)
      11-11-2008, 11:51 AM   #34
DJ9
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfbimmer13 View Post
wasn't me - I had my numbers on the window - so must have been the other Sparkling Graphite M3 + I never recall a Porsche getting that close to me
Touchee!

2008 E92M3-Space Gray
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 02:56 PM   #35
jbass524
Major
Rep

Thanks guys.

Wasn't Rupert. I couldn't catch him much less stay with him.

It was the guy parked next to me.

I am so impressed with the M3. BMW is the best engineering company in the auto industry. I'm learning how difficult it is to make your car better than what BMW does.

My new suspension was good at turn in but it really pushed mid corner. I only could hit 110 before 11 and before 1. Got a little above 100 before 7. This was mainly due to late braking (like in the video where I should have passed the M3 in 7). I used to hit 115 into 1 with my stock suspension and 110 into 11 with a really bad line in 10. Also, this was when I was not as good a driver.

I'll keep working on it.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 06:37 PM   #36
DJ9
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Update on my ABS/DSC/DBS Malfunction:

As we thought guys. Debris on the sensor, metal shard of some sort, which caused ABS and DSC to shut off. Basically, for the remaining laps I was out there, I was indeed driving a pre-ABS and Traction control equipped vehicle....not the end of the world. I should have practiced my Tokyo Drift skills.

Solution: They replaced my front sensor and threw some new brake pads on.

Until next year!

2008 E92M3-Space Gray
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 06:53 PM   #37
sfbimmer13
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Update on my ABS/DSC/DBS Malfunction:

As we thought guys. Debris on the sensor, metal shard of some sort, which caused ABS and DSC to shut off. Basically, for the remaining laps I was out there, I was indeed driving a pre-ABS and Traction control equipped vehicle....not the end of the world. I should have practiced my Tokyo Drift skills.

Solution: They replaced my front sensor and threw some new brake pads on.

Until next year!
Dave, glad to hear that it was nothing serious
      05-13-2009, 08:15 PM   #38
auggiem3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C & E92 M3

I'm guessing I've developed the same problem - this morning, for no apparent reason, my DSC / ABS and Brake lights were illuminated on the dash with a message on my navi screen suggesting I drive with extra care. My hill assist (on the 6mt) also disengaged.

Dave, did your dealer have the sensor's in stock or were you on a parts order for a few days?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 05:20 PM   #39
auggiem3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C & E92 M3

Just got the car back - code 5DB2 - they replaced the right rear pulse sensor and I was on my way.
Appreciate 0