BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

10-19-2010, 08:44 PM   #1
Splooge911
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

Safe Lease question

I have done the but can't find much info about Safe Lease. I see in the past it was a package you could buy. It allows you to return your lease with up to $5000 worth of damage. My sister just got the with her VW lease and it was something like $700. To me it made a lot of sense. It allows you to return the car with 4 bald tires which makes it worth it right off the bat + any other damage up to $5,000

Does anyone know if BMW still offers this? And how much?

I figure since the M3 tires go pretty quick (compared to other tires and based on exactly how hard you drive), I'd pass on the wheel and tire insurance, pray for no rim damage (never have had rim damage in the past) and look to run replacment tires right down to the end when returning the car.

Anyone think this makes sense?

That Safe Lease will also cover any big dings and dents I might end up with which (clearly) the wheel and tire package wouldn't for $1,200....
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 10:14 PM   #2
Dice13
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 AW E93 M3

I don't know but with all these good questions you are coming up with,I guess I have to follow this now as I will be picking up my car between 4-10 days depending on arrival at dealership. If you have anything else in that brain brewing get them out :-).
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 10:44 PM   #3
geneatals
Ninja
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 530e

yes BMW does still offer the Safe Lease...

my brother just got into a 335is about 3 weeks ago and was offered this plan. From what I overheard it covers up to $5K worth of damage including tire and wheel wear and tire (different from the tire and wheel protection program which covers you throughout your lease for tire and/or wheel repair, safe lease only covers wear and tear @ lease return.)

I've been researching safe lease quite a bit as well lately as my car is getting closer to delivery. From what I've read over on bimmerfest it seems there are some things you need to go over in the fine print of this plan. Some report that safe lease only covers up to $500 per incident, and a max of $5K/10 incidents. I am unable to confirm this as my brother's safe lease contract is still being mailed to him. I've also read/heard that safe lease also covers a little mile overage as well, how many miles again I am not sure.

As far as price goes, seems it varies dealership to dealership for some reason. One dealership quoted $595, others as much as $1200 (read one person stating he was asked how much he was willing to pay for it while in the finance office, he said $499, the finance guy said "done" so perhaps, like everything else, I think it's negotiable. And before you ask, yes...you have to purchase the safe lease plan form the dealership you got your car from....

I'm still waiting to read over my brother's safe lease paperwork to see if there is in fact a $500 max coverage per incident.

I currently have the wear and tear coverage that used to be offered by BMW on my current e60 535i lease. This lease ends in december and since I have this coverage I don't have to schedule any repairs (a few scrapes to the bottom of the front bumper) or worry about purchasing tires before I return it (rft's can be costly), I'm hoping to have the same peace of mind when I return my M3 3 years from now....

I haven't actually called BMWNA regarding safe lease, but that will most likely be my next stop...

definitely weigh the cost of the plan versus coming out of pocket for minor damage tho, door dings and minor chips can be acceptable and may not get charged for, there's that lease return tool that tells you what size is acceptable and what is not in terms of damage. But like you stated earlier, tires alone might pay for itself if you don't think you're going to burn thru the set you get from the factory as well as get a good price on the safe lease plan. Back to door dings and rock chips, mobile repair services cost 100-200 at the most per repair...I think we are all pretty good at avoiding dings, rock chips can happen, but most damage we do incur we tend to fix anyway as we don't like seeing dings and chips on our cars.....

Last edited by geneatals; 10-19-2010 at 10:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 10:47 PM   #4
llis
octane chick
United_States
Rep
Drives: ex-M

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 ZCP  [10.00]
2003 BMW M5  [0.00]
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splooge911 View Post
Does anyone know if BMW still offers this? And how much?
I have leased twice and bought from dealer twice. In the latter case, I've been presented with upsell after upsell. Some make sense, some are nutty. On the leases, no upsells. I think if they had something like this, they would pitch it. Because just like those "insurances" they offer when you buy a TV or phone or whatever, it's a bad deal for the consumer and another opportunity for the vendor to cash in. Otherwise why would they do it?

I don't think it's likely BMW offers this. And if they did, I'd question whether it was worth it. (Would you really want to beat up your M3 and turn it in worn and wrecked?)
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 10:49 PM   #5
Splooge911
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by geneatals View Post
yes BMW does still offer the Safe Lease...

my brother just got into a 335is about 3 weeks ago and was offered this plan. From what I overheard it covers up to $5K worth of damage including tire and wheel wear and tire (different from the tire and wheel protection program which covers you throughout your lease for tire and/or wheel repair, safe lease only covers wear and tear @ lease return.)

I've been researching safe lease quite a bit as well lately as my car is getting closer to delivery. From what I've read over on bimmerfest it seems there are some things you need to go over in the fine print of this plan. Some report that safe lease only covers up to $500 per incident, and a max of $5K/10 incidents. I am unable to confirm this as my brother's safe lease contract is still being mailed to him. I've also read/heard that safe lease also covers a little mile overage as well, how many miles again I am not sure.

As far as price goes, seems it varies dealership to dealership for some reason. One dealership quoted $595, others as much as $1200 (read one person stating he was asked how much he was willing to pay for it while in the finance office, he said $499, the finance guy said "done" so perhaps, like everything else, I think it's negotiable. And before you ask, yes...you have to purchase the safe lease plan form the dealership you got your car from....

I'm still waiting to read over my brother's safe lease paperwork to see if there is in fact a $500 max coverage per incident.

I currently have the wear and tear coverage that used to be offered by BMW on my current e60 535i lease. This lease ends in december and since I have this coverage I don't have to schedule any repairs (a few scrapes to the bottom of the front bumper) or worry about purchasing tires before I return it (rft's can be costly), I'm hoping to have the same peace of mind when I return my M3 3 years from now....
Thats interesting. I read that when you return a car with the Safe Lease coverage, they try to find everything they can wrong with the car to put in a claim. Im sure the dealership would sell the package for a lose of $500 just cause they know they can find $1000+ worth of "damage" in 3 years

I might pass on the tire warranty and just go with this plan. I'll replace the tires halfway through the lease and then just run them down to bowling balls before i turn the car in.

I have 4 weeks to keep thinking.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 10:53 PM   #6
Splooge911
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
(Would you really want to beat up your M3 and turn it in worn and wrecked?)
Yes - because when you bring it in and they tell you 2 or 3 or 4 of the tires need to be replaces at $250 a piece and the bumper has a dent that is another $250 and the front fender is scatched and its going to be another $200, I can just hand it in.

Im not saying i'll take a bat to the car or just slam into curbs, but its peace of mind when someone does put a shopping cart into your door with 4 months left in your lease
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 10:56 PM   #7
llis
octane chick
United_States
Rep
Drives: ex-M

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 ZCP  [10.00]
2003 BMW M5  [0.00]
That's what comprehensive is for. I can't say I'm not concerned about last-minute pita incidents with 2 months left in my current lease, but I don't think I'd be tempted to pay a premium on my current order for that extra coverage.

Now windshield glass coverage, where I live? That's a different story.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 11:04 PM   #8
geneatals
Ninja
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by llis View Post
That's what comprehensive is for. I can't say I'm not concerned about last-minute pita incidents with 2 months left in my current lease, but I don't think I'd be tempted to pay a premium on my current order for that extra coverage.

Now windshield glass coverage, where I live? That's a different story.

this is the debate I often read of and go back and forth with personally...I already pay insurance, why double up?

but even with comp coverage you have to pay your deductible, so you could opt for the lower deducitble, pay a higher monthly and file claims til the cows come home....or hopefully get a good price on safe lease, and just not worry about it.....seems the money would balance out either way...
      10-19-2010, 11:13 PM   #9
Splooge911
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
this is the debate I often read of and go back and forth with personally...I already pay insurance, why double up?

but even with comp coverage you have to pay your deductible, so you could opt for the lower deducitble, pay a higher monthly and file claims til the cows come home....or hopefully get a good price on safe lease, and just not worry about it.....seems the money would balance out either way...
Thats not apples to apples. With insurance, you pay a deductible (usually $500) and your insurnce goes up. This is pretty much you buy this for $500-$700 and it gives you $5000 of wear and tear. Try to replace your tires during your lease so you can run them down to low tread before handing in the car and you owe nothing. Regular insurance you talk about wouldn't cover that. The tires alone pay for the package and incase anything else happens to the car, your golden
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 11:22 PM   #10
geneatals
Ninja
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thats not apples to apples. With insurance, you pay a deductible (usually $500) and your insurnce goes up. This is pretty much you buy this for $500-$700 and it gives you $5000 of wear and tear. Try to replace your tires during your lease so you can run them down to low tread before handing in the car and you owe nothing. Regular insurance you talk about wouldn't cover that. The tires alone pay for the package and incase anything else happens to the car, your golden
sounds like your decision has been made
      10-19-2010, 11:26 PM   #11
Splooge911
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
sounds like your decision has been made
naaa im just talking outloud... if i get the safe lease, my rim will crack 2 weeks later. If i get the wheel and tire package, someone will put a shopping cart into my door and bumper 3 weeks before I turn the car in....
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 11:35 PM   #12
geneatals
Ninja
United_States
Rep

Quote:
naaa im just talking outloud... if i get the safe lease, my rim will crack 2 weeks later. If i get the wheel and tire package, someone will put a shopping cart into my door and bumper 3 weeks before I turn the car in....
Murphy's Law....

I do think there are other companies that offer wheels and tire protection packages for much less than what you were quoted for...I think even AAA has a plan....
      10-19-2010, 11:49 PM   #13
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep
Drives: sideways

BMW leases are fairly forgiving. Anything under 2" on the body panel is a minor incident, and are no charge. More than 2 but under 4" is like $500.

The M3 doesn't use RFT's, so you can put friggin touring tires from Sears on it for turn-in. There are some cheap tires available. And you only need 2/32" of tread. You can usually find something that close to bald for pennies on the dollar.

I've leased a bunch of cars, and (knock on wood) I've never paid anything at turn-in. I thought my 335 was going to cost me some bucks, too.

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 12:06 AM   #14
geneatals
Ninja
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboFan View Post
BMW leases are fairly forgiving. Anything under 2" on the body panel is a minor incident, and are no charge. More than 2 but under 4" is like $500.

The M3 doesn't use RFT's, so you can put friggin touring tires from Sears on it for turn-in. There are some cheap tires available. And you only need 2/32" of tread. You can usually find something that close to bald for pennies on the dollar.

I've leased a bunch of cars, and (knock on wood) I've never paid anything at turn-in. I thought my 335 was going to cost me some bucks, too.
sounds like you've been fortunate enough to have a not so meticulous end of lease inspection....hope that stays that way...

my current lease end in december so I'll be having my lease end inspection soon, this is my first BMW right now so not sure how picky they are, but have read both sides of the spectrums....
      10-20-2010, 12:23 AM   #15
brandonwuwux3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: f80 m3cs

my mom paid 900 bucks for safe lease on her 2009 e92 335!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 12:41 AM   #16
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep

Quote:
sounds like you've been fortunate enough to have a not so meticulous end of lease inspection....hope that stays that way...

my current lease end in december so I'll be having my lease end inspection soon, this is my first BMW right now so not sure how picky they are, but have read both sides of the spectrums....
The girl at the local bimmer dealer is know as a hard-ass. I took it in for a pre-inspection, and she pointed out some things to fix. Total was $50 for a local touch-up paint pro. She walked around with the little tool BMW sends, noting easily 7-8 dents. All under 2", no charge!

I turned it in with RFTs - my old winter tires I'd driven all summer Still had usable tred depth, and they were RFT. All was good.

Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 07:52 AM   #17
Splooge911
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

There are no cheap tires out there for the 19 inch rims
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 02:30 PM   #18
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep

eh, I have 18's from the factory. Great for winter and track. Non-OEM 19's for show.

Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 03:06 PM   #19
Splooge911
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
eh, I have 18's from the factory. Great for winter and track. Non-OEM 19's for show.
I ordered the convertible. Great for show. Not for winter or track.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 03:26 PM   #20
Dice13
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 AW E93 M3

Quote:
The girl at the local bimmer dealer is know as a hard-ass. I took it in for a pre-inspection, and she pointed out some things to fix. Total was $50 for a local touch-up paint pro. She walked around with the little tool BMW sends, noting easily 7-8 dents. All under 2", no charge!

I turned it in with RFTs - my old winter tires I'd driven all summer Still had usable tred depth, and they were RFT. All was good.
7 -8 dents I don't blame her for being a hard ass. Even though no charge still a lot of dents.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 07:16 PM   #21
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dice13 View Post
7 -8 dents I don't blame her for being a hard ass. Even though no charge still a lot of dents.
Agreed, but she's known in the local group as just being nit-picky. It's her job, I don't fault her, and she's very honest in the pre-turn in inspection. She goes around with the little card from BMW and tells you exactly what to expect. Mine were door dings, rock chips / dings, etc. The roads around here aren't kind to cars.

Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 09:05 PM   #22
geneatals
Ninja
United_States
Rep

I'm more worried about scrapes to the bumper...I know we all do our best to maneuver/angle down driveways to avoid scraping, but sometimes it happens...do they check the bottom part of the bumpers and ding you for damage there?