BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

11-20-2008, 03:02 AM   #1
Dazzler
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Jerez 2007, 1M on order

So I drove a DCT cab today ;)

I am in a 6mt coupe, so it was interesting to compare..

Thoughts.

1) Sound - the cab lets you hear oh so much of that sweet v8 sound - it is amazing! The main difference besides just the increased volume (when roof is down) is that you can hear the beast sucking through that gaping hole in the bonnet. Induction roar at it's best and it's almost worth getting a cab just for that.

2) DCT - 2nd time I have spent some decent time with this box, it is an amazing piece of kit. I can't fault it and it runs rings around SMGII and SMGIII. Having in the past preferred SMG/DCT over a manual, now I have had my 6MT coupe for a year and after today I came away preferring the manual. I just wish the manuals had those sexy shift lights! There is no doubt in my mind the DCT is quicker - do the official stats support that? If not I don't get why because there is almost 0 power lost during those changes.

3) Scuttle shake - Having had an E46 M3 Cab before this e92, I am qualified to comment, scuttle shake is much improved. With the roof down it is I would say 75% the stiffness of the coupe and roof up - 85%. Well done BMW as it's not easy to make a car with its roof missing so rigid.

So - all in all a good day - but I was glad to get back into my coupe at the end of it - I was getting sunburnt!

Cheers,
D

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-20-2008, 04:13 AM   #2
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
nice write up, thanks.

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2008, 04:19 AM   #3
samM376'
///M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3

I love verts but I would take the coupe over this any day
It's definitely not a car I would buy for myself but would be fun on those hot days, we don't get many here tho
I prefer the Manual over DCT 10x better too. The DCT on the track makes me feel like I'm not the one doing the work

http://chitownm.com
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2008, 04:57 AM   #4
Kobaiyashi
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3 (JetBlack/FoxRedExt)

+1 on the sound comment.

I test drove a 'vert before I purchased my e90 and also thought the excitement level from the engine/exhaust noise alone was amazing!
      11-20-2008, 07:13 AM   #5
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Seeing your pics makes me wish we were not heading into 6 months of top-up weather here.
Appreciate 0