BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

10-16-2008, 07:20 PM   #23
urbo73
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack's dad View Post
I have had my M3 Sedan for seven months after a couple of years in a Cayman S. I loved the CS but prefer the M3 and have no regrets. With respect to the transmission, mine has loosened up a fair amount, but was never as bad as you are describing - perhaps yours needs adjustment or repair. Overall I do think the CS gearbox is better, but for me the difference has not been as significant as your experience indicates...
Oh, no regrets here either! I love the M3 and loved the Cayman. Just different cars and initial impressions.

Just curious what you like about the M3 more than the CS. In terms of driving that is.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 09:41 PM   #24
itofigari
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 CP| MW / SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbo73 View Post
Nice parallel story! Congrats on the baby (the human one on the way that is!). Do you have a link to that clutch mod you mention? I thought maybe it was the CDV, but read the M3 doesn't have one.
Thanks man...I will look for it and send it to you but if you search "clutch spring removal" I am prety sure you will find it.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2008, 10:27 PM   #25
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 Golf R

Quote:
Right, but in any other car so far, driving with climate on 67/68 on AUTO, windows up, it felt good! In the M3 it's hot! I opened the windows to cool w/o going to AUTO 55! I'm just saying the engine must be producing a lot of heat!
That could be trouble for me here in Tejas.

Quote:
Nice parallel story! Congrats on the baby (the human one on the way that is!). Do you have a link to that clutch mod you mention? I thought maybe it was the CDV, but read the M3 doesn't have one.
IIRC, the M3 has a CDV, but it's not restrictive, so removal doesn't offer any benefits. This of course begs the question of why it's there in the first place.
      10-16-2008, 11:51 PM   #26
flyinggonzo
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLud View Post
That could be trouble for me here in Tejas.

IIRC, the M3 has a CDV, but it's not restrictive, so removal doesn't offer any benefits. This of course begs the question of why it's there in the first place.
That is strange. Do you know how we can confirm this?
      10-16-2008, 11:55 PM   #27
flyinggonzo
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Thanks for the post. I was interested in the Cayman S till my little one came along and then the M3 Sedan became the best choice.

I'm not a fan of the shifter so far and will be installing a SSK. The M3 I had on the test drive was awesome, but as my car is new like yours, I think there's certainly a breakin period for all components before the car will feel truly in synch. The engine and chassis is a superlative for sedan.
      10-17-2008, 12:02 AM   #28
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinggonzo View Post
That is strange. Do you know how we can confirm this?
It's been confirmed a couple of times, most recently by the guys at EAS when they looked at the CDV on their project car:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...8&postcount=10

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinggonzo View Post
Thanks for the post. I was interested in the Cayman S till my little one came along and then the M3 Sedan became the best choice.

I'm not a fan of the shifter so far and will be installing a SSK. The M3 I had on the test drive was awesome, but as my car is new like yours, I think there's certainly a breakin period for all components before the car will feel truly in synch. The engine and chassis is a superlative for sedan.
I was about to go ahead and order the UUC SSK, but I think I'll wait until my stock tranny breaks in first. In the meantime, we'll see if Dinan comes out with a SSK.
      10-17-2008, 07:00 AM   #29
urbo73
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by itofigari View Post
Thanks man...I will look for it and send it to you but if you search "clutch spring removal" I am prety sure you will find it.
Yep! Found it. Looks simple enough, and makes a lot of sense. Still a bit weary of messing with it just yet, even if it looks tempting!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2008, 08:41 AM   #30
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

Porsche transmissions and the shifting experience is probably the best in the industry. I would expect the M3 6MT not to live up to the same standards. But saying this, there are some mods you can do to make it better. Whether the shifting can feel as good as the Porsche is probably more of a subjective thing. But as mentioned you can:

1. Wait for it to break in. From my experience with an E46 M3, everything gets better -- transmission, chassis, brakes, engine, SMG, etc. (all except tires). Part of this is the driver learning how to get the best from the car, but I've never had any other car that improved so much as the M3.

2. SSK. I'd like to see UUC offer the DSSR for this car too. This makes shifting feel more solid.

3. The clutch spring thing (which I don't know too much about.)

4. A clutch stop may help a bit, especially if the clutch is too light.

Stay safe out there and enjoy the M3.
      10-18-2008, 11:22 PM   #31
flyinggonzo
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLud View Post
It's been confirmed a couple of times, most recently by the guys at EAS when they looked at the CDV on their project car:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...8&postcount=10

I was about to go ahead and order the UUC SSK, but I think I'll wait until my stock tranny breaks in first. In the meantime, we'll see if Dinan comes out with a SSK.
Thanks for the tip about the CDV.

Good point about waiting for Dinan. I've had good experiences with Dinan thus far.