BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

07-11-2009, 06:21 PM   #1
tailgate1234
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan Silverstone II

Electronic oil level problems?

I am having an odd problem with my electronic dipstick: after getting my car back from a BMW dealer oil change last week, the indicator said I had too much oil. Took it back to the dealer, they drained some oil, and afterwards the gauge read about 1/2 full. OK. Today, the indicator once again said the oil was overfilled. Does anybody have any ideas about what could be causing this? Thank you in advance.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2009, 08:01 PM   #2
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lemans Blue M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailgate1234 View Post
I am having an odd problem with my electronic dipstick: after getting my car back from a BMW dealer oil change last week, the indicator said I had too much oil. Took it back to the dealer, they drained some oil, and afterwords the gauge read about 1/2 full. OK. Today, the indicator once again said the oil was overfilled. Does anybody have any ideas about what could be causing this? Thank you in advance.
Welcome to the wonderful world of electronic level sensors.

This topic has been beaten to death, but the answer is that you must develop a repetitive and predictable 'routine' to properly check the engine oil level.

Checking your oil in the same spot at home before you leave is a good tip.

Trying not to OBSESS over the oil level all the time is another one.

The more you check it, the more you will want to check it again to see any incremental difference. If you do see a small difference, you want to check it even more. It eventually becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

You end up acting like an addict strung out on crack!

My advice?

Check it once per day (on a flat level surface) before you leave home. Try to assign a 'designated spot' in the driveway. Make sure you check the engine oil level ONLY AFTER the engine is up to it's normal operating temperature. Check the level, then ignore it unless it alerts you to add oil.

Once you start the roller coaster ride of adding and subtracting oil without a clear plan, you will never be able to get off.

You're going to drive yourself insane...if you don't figure out a game plan here. (quickly)
      07-11-2009, 09:50 PM   #3
amk2912
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: '10 X5 40d & '12 F10 520d

My oil level indicator level appears to be fairly random also! As long as it does not fall to min or below I'm not stressing about it.

No point developing an Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) over the oil level! Talking OCDs I had a friend at uni who would do at least 5 laps of his car checking the door locks before leaving the car.

My current OCD is checking M3Post a few times a day!
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2009, 09:53 PM   #4
Subw00er
Bates '08 Interlagos Launch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i xGC, ZL1, JCW

It is surprising how many are affected by quirk sensors. BMW needs to address this. If we had a dipstick, it wouldnt matter, but its hard to trust a sensor that is so inaccurate.
      07-11-2009, 10:06 PM   #5
tailgate1234
Private First Class
Rep

I have seen the other posts on the topic but there doesn't seem to be an answer. What puzzles me is that before the oil change, my oil level indicators were very consistent and very steady. They stayed at the same level for weeks at a time and then would drop a notch as oil was burned off. Since the oil change, it has been acting inconsistently. Taking a look at Real OEM, the oil level indicator is in the bottom of the oil pan right next to the oil plug. Any chance of an inexperienced M3 tech mistaking the two and unbolting/rebolting the wrong part?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2009, 01:19 AM   #6
Subw00er
United_States
Rep

I think this happens too often to blame it on the techs. In my case, the oil was at the perfect level when I took it in for an early/yearly oil change (at 3K miles). When I got it back, it was reading a couple bars low. The tech added 1/2 quart to get the line to jump up, but it didnt. He drained the oil and checked the level, and the correct amount was in there per BMW spec (+1/2 quart). BTW, the tech that was doing my oil change has worked for BMW for 15 years, and is very familiar with the M cars. I request him when I go in.

The problem is with the sensor. Its either got a calibration problem, or its just plan and simply inaccurate. I am not sure how they physically work in the BMW, so I cant surmise past that, but clearly, based on the # of people that have this issue, BMW should either improve the sensor or the software to account for this large error. It is really annoying to not see that green bar at the top. I just hope it will alert me if I do lose oil for some reason, or if my car starts burning oil.

BTW, Its beyond me why there is no dipstick, How much could that have possibly saved?!
      07-12-2009, 12:58 PM   #7
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans_Blue_M View Post
Checking your oil in the same spot at home before you leave is a good tip.
Actually it's a BAD tip . Check it AFTER you get home. And yes, always at the same spot, at idle, and at full operating temperature. Reason is sensor is not accurate with cold oil (the hotter the better... and the quicker!). And yes, wish we had a darn dipstick , but have to make the best of what we have .

I did an extensive explanation of how sensor works and my suggestions on how to check oil level. Sensor is pretty accurate once you know all that. Do a search if you want one more opinion. Take care.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2009, 01:21 PM   #8
dynamite
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 V8 - 6MT

After the 2000km (or 1200 miles) service I checked the oil level near the tech and it was showing "OK". He said that it took 8.8 litres of oil and he also test drove it. Then I got home and check the oil level it was showing "OK". One day later I went my office and before leaving the car I checked the oil level and it was showing "MAX" and warning about "Engine oil level too high". I called the tech and said the problem and took the car to the service again. They lifted the car, checked and found nothing wrong. Finally, before I am living the tech mentioned about oil level sensor problem that they faced before with M5s and told me "go and enjoy your car without worrying too much". Its still staying in "MAX".
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2009, 01:34 PM   #9
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans_Blue_M View Post
My advice?

Check it once per day (on a flat level surface) before you leave home....
The only problem that I see with this strategy is that the oil needs to be warm to get an accurate reading. I'd suggest waiting until you get home; otherwise, you'll have quite a long wait for the oil to get up to temperature.

Dave
      07-12-2009, 01:37 PM   #10
Romo1
Doug
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 6 speed Int Blue

This happened to my M3 after adding 1 qt oil at approx 5400 miles

Had my 1st oil change at 1,250 miles and other minor 1st checkups. Nothing noticed about oil being max or over max after dealer changed oil. I continued to watch the oil indicator and notice that the engine does have to be hot and been driving for at least 10-15 minutes before gauge will register with some accuracy. It sometimes behaves spastic so get used to it.

I watched the oil gauge get lower from 1,250 miles to when it I saw the 'down 1 qt of oil' at approx 5,400 miles. My 2003 530i used oil - not leak -about every 2,500 miles. Anyway, when I got the signal for down 1 qt in my new M3, I added the 1 qt myself - used the BMW synthetic hi-performance (10-60?) oil that I was given by service for free.

After adding the oil, and driving the car, the gauge gradually went to OK range then to 'over max with signal to make a visit to BMW service.' Within another few miles, it went back to OK range and signal/message disappeared. Been fine since. Think the this message for 'over max with signal to make a visit to BMW service' is just part of the process. Anyone else notice the same thing?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2009, 11:08 PM   #11
leemik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LRP M3 Coupe

Garage List
2020 Acura NSX  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [9.50]
Geez I think I got burned by this crap piece of electronics over the weekend..

I was about 1.5 hours from home and suddenly DING.. the warning "oil at minimum level" appeared.. So I was like WTF, I just got an oil change 2k miles ago???? am I burning oil or or am i leaking? Pulled over nothing leaking.. no burning oil smell..... I had like 1/2 quart of Castrol 10w50 that i just threw in because I had it in the trunk and I was far-ish from home..

Well, the whole way home, it didn't register a level after I added the oil.. weird.. 2 days later it finally registers a level that says oil is at maximum level. I highly doubt adding a 1/2 quart of oil is the difference between max and min oil levels..

Someone needs to fix this sensor at least I know not to panic now when I see this warning..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2009, 11:59 PM   #12
Subw00er
United_States
Rep

FYI, my dealer said that between max and min is 1 Qt.
      07-27-2009, 01:05 AM   #13
JCtx
Major General
Rep

Folks, just check your oil level AT THE SAME SPOT in your garage as explained above, and don't pay attention to the gauge AT ANY OTHER PLACE. If you're going up/downhill or accelerating/braking at the time the sensor reads the signal (which you'll NEVER guess when), it's going to read wrong. And that reading is not going to change until you turn the car off then on again, and it takes another reading; that's why you can see readings all over the place and panic. Learn how it works and you'll understand it (I wrote a very detailed post not long ago). Yeah, I don't like it either, but learned how to use it and have had zero issues since.
Hope everybody enjoyed the weekend .
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2009, 05:45 AM   #14
swiss_cornholio
First Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: E92 DTC M3 (AW/PS)

After I had my oil changed at the 25000km service, it indicated half full. So my dealer called BMW about this and they said the sensor must be replaced and the car needs a software update. This confirms that there is a real problem and not just people measuring at the wrong time.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2009, 11:46 AM   #15
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiss_cornholio View Post
After I had my oil changed at the 25000km service, it indicated half full. So my dealer called BMW about this and they said the sensor must be replaced and the car needs a software update. This confirms that there is a real problem and not just people measuring at the wrong time.
Am I reading this correctly that there's a general software issue; or is it that the car has a faulty sensor which requires a software update to for the new sensor to function properly? I'm not sure if the dealer provided enough detail to answer, but see if you can find out.

Also, can you do us a favor and get the SIB (Service Information Bulletin) number for this? If it's an issue acknowledged by BMW there will be an SIB. That would be helpful for others with this same issue. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2009, 03:25 AM   #16
swiss_cornholio
First Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: E92 DTC M3 (AW/PS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Am I reading this correctly that there's a general software issue; or is it that the car has a faulty sensor which requires a software update to for the new sensor to function properly? I'm not sure if the dealer provided enough detail to answer, but see if you can find out.

Also, can you do us a favor and get the SIB (Service Information Bulletin) number for this? If it's an issue acknowledged by BMW there will be an SIB. That would be helpful for others with this same issue. Thanks.
I think the software update is required for the new sensor to function properly. Anyway, I'm not getting it done right now as it is not urgent at all. Probably in a month or two.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2009, 11:28 AM   #17
jbeene
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 16 435i GC

I'm on sensor # 2. Had the same overfill symptoms on the second oil change at 7500km (@ my cost). I'm getting the oil changed in about 3 months at 15000km and will be interested to see if it reads overfill again.

With all the warranty costs associated with labor re-measuring oil levels, doing a low tech oil change 2 or 3 times to make sure its right I bet the good old fashioned dipstick is looking pretty good to BMW now.

Maybe they have a different sensor supplier and technology than Porsche who seems to have this concept nailed.
      07-29-2009, 01:34 PM   #18
tailgate1234
Private First Class
Rep

My dealer does not believe there is a problem with my oil sensor - they didn't find any fault code. Interesting that their diagnosis of problems seems to be limited to whether or not there is a fault code.

They redid my oil change and now the oil level is fine. Me thinks the dealer overfilled the oil the first time around.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2009, 09:25 PM   #19
AMPowerJ
One mod leads to another ...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Folks, just check your oil level AT THE SAME SPOT in your garage as explained above, and don't pay attention to the gauge AT ANY OTHER PLACE. If you're going up/downhill or accelerating/braking at the time the sensor reads the signal (which you'll NEVER guess when), it's going to read wrong. And that reading is not going to change until you turn the car off then on again, and it takes another reading; that's why you can see readings all over the place and panic. Learn how it works and you'll understand it (I wrote a very detailed post not long ago). Yeah, I don't like it either, but learned how to use it and have had zero issues since.
Hope everybody enjoyed the weekend .
Have you or anyone ever had the oil gauge state to add 1qt while on the road and then be back at the full mark after reset? That is what is going on with mine. I just posted a thread about this. What a pain in the ass.

Current: 2014 F10 M5
Previous: 2015 F80 M3, 2013 E92 M3, 2013 F10 M5, 2009 E90 M3, 1998 E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2009, 01:52 AM   #20
spyderco10
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3 6MT

i think the menehune put oil in your car one night while you were sleeping
- John 3:16
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 08:05 PM   #21
bobbyd1961
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 sedan LeMans Blue

is the sensor bad? or are they adding too much oil?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2009, 01:31 PM   #22
JCtx
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMPowerJ View Post
Have you or anyone ever had the oil gauge state to add 1qt while on the road and then be back at the full mark after reset?
I don't even bother looking at the gauge while driving buddy , so can't answer that, but it's certainly possible.

Unless you start having inconsistent (or weird) readings when checking oil level under identical conditions (same spot, idling, engine hot, invoking a reset...), I wouldn't worry about it. It's similar to checking tire pressures (for cars that have that feature) while under way; readings will be wrong (higher), as they should be checked when cold. Hope this helps. Take care.

Last edited by JCtx; 10-08-2009 at 03:06 PM..
Appreciate 0