BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

09-24-2013, 01:48 PM   #1
MasterP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: All the M's

Cyba Burnt Finish Tips installed and Review

I finally got to see the Cyba Tips installed on another vehicle so I decided I'd go ahead and get them for my E92.

This mod is purely cosmetic. They feature burnt tips and larger diameter. PM Cyba for the cost of the tips. The cost is what I deem reasonable for 4 Exhaust tips that include installation hardware. You might even say "Good" deal when you consider the M Tax.

The Tips:

They arrived in a box from Taiwan. I got mine what I consider quickly for something that came from overseas - Cyba didn't tell me that. I wasn't in a hurry so it didn't bother me.

The 4 tips were wrapped individually in Bubble wrap baggies with the 4 required rivets per tip in small reclosable bags inside the tips. The bubble wrap was sealed with tape. Parts arrived unscathed.

Once you remove the tips from the bags the burnt finish is also protected in plastic wrap just up to where the burnt finish ends. I left this on during installation to prevent any tool contact to this area.

The holes for the rivets are pre drilled. More on that during the installtion part.

I think the tips overall are a quality piece. There is a seam weld, but it looks like a quality weld, and it's minimal in appearance and finish.

Installation:

I considered removing the exhaust system off the car. It's heavy and I'm working solo and I really didn't want to do that again. I did the exhaust mod previously so I decided I would just "drop" the rear section. Everyone's experience and tool/facility access will make this very different. I had access to a lift, an exhaust jack and pretty much any tool I may have needed.

If you drop it as I did you end up with this:

Visit the Exhaust Removal DIY Sticky in the DIY section. You pretty much do every step up to the Removal of the clamps from the mid pipe. If you can get an angle Drill (Highly recommended!) You won't need to disconnect the exhuast at the differential area. I didn't have one so I had to so I could get more droop.

Tools used just for removing and installing the tips:

9/64 Drill Bit (I used new titanium Bit, but I don't recommend it. Just get a four pack of inexpensive black oxide tips that you don't feel bad about breaking or discarding. Rivet drilling is murder on drill bits) You don't want to use too large of a drill bit because the rivets wont swell up properly if the hole is too large.

This is why you use bits you don't mind parting with, luckily Home depot will exchange this -

Drill, fully charged. Or keep a pare battery nearby. I used a medium Torque setting. My Makita goes to 20, I set it at 10. It didn't bind once during drilling. I think if your cordelss drill is about the size of most current impact drivers this may also work within the space you have.

Rivet Tool. This was my first time riveting something. I'm amazed at how simple and effective it is. I kinda want to rivet everything now.

Good light source. I was in a fully lit shop, but I definitely recommend good lighting so you can see if you penetrated the rivet. Just because the head broke off doesn't mean you're done.

Hand protection and Eye protection. There's lots of small metal particles going everywhere.

Pliers. To remove the old rivet heads that get wrapped around your drill bit. Sometimes the rivet heads will stack up like coins but all that does is make your drill bit get hotter and less effective. These are hot and sharp as hell after you remove them - you don't want to remove them with bare hands. Unless you like that sort of thing.

Removing the old Rivets:

Drill those bitches out! There are four per tip. At 2:00, 4:00, 8:00, 10:00.

It goes without saying that the topside rivets are the hardest to get to. This is where having an angle drill or a compact drill makes a huge difference between easy and contortion.

Drill through the rivet completely, it's not uncommon for the bottom of the rivet to still be holding the tip on even if the rivet head is gone.

Get it right and you end up with this per side

Stock vs Cyba:

The tips are straight cut, not rolled.

You can see the difference in diameter. I didnt' measure, but they appear to be the same length

The OEM tip fits within the Cyba Tip

Riveting the new Tips:

The ball end goes into the hole, the Long end goes to the rivet tool. Follow the instructions for your rivet tool. Mine was a Snap-On and it only required a squeeze and a half to fully rivet and snap the pin.

When the Pin breaks off you should have this -

Occasionally the Rivet won't set flush before riveting, so a tap on the backside of the rivet tool will help seat the rivet when that happens -

I riveted one at a time, at opposite ends in efforts to keep everything straight. You can use the "line" left from your old tips as a guide if you are centered or not. Or tape a line.

Done, without a diffuser:

I took this opportunity to reinstall my rear diffuser more securely. The tips are larger in diameter and I don't want it burning my diffuser you'll probably want to do the same.

Done with a Duffuser in place:

Done:

Final impressions:

I'm happy with the result overall. I don't think it made a huge change to the appearance of my car honestly. Without a diffuser they probably are less obscured. I still like them though and prefer them over the plain stock ones. The exhaust looks more like it sounds now.

The job itself is not difficult. But dealing with the smaller space with the dropped exhaust added to the complexity, and frankly was the only reason any effort was required. Angle Drill - borrow or rent it. It will make this much smoother for you.

It was quite simple to install, and I appreciated the completeness of the product Cyba is offering. I think sourcing the proper rivets would have been a little annoying, and I'm glad they were provided. The furthest right tip may be off a little on my installation. But I think that was me and not the tip. That's why I mentioned using the "line" left from the stock tips to make sure you are in the same place as the original. I'll redo this eventually. My car is due for tires soon so I'll probably knock it out then while it's on a lift.

My methods may not be the best way, but I'm sharing with you how I did mine with the resources at my disposal. I'm sure everyone has an opinon or other method they feel is better - because internet... Do what's easiest for you. Hopefully there's enough here to make you more confident doing it yourself and avoid any pitfalls that may occur. It's quite fun to work on cars, even if the results are simple.

Good luck with your own installation!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 02:40 PM   #2
Villanofun
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 ///M3

Looks great. Thanks for a detailed write-up.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 02:47 PM   #3
Stronie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80M3 Comp. 6MT

Looks awesome. JDM look
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 03:45 PM   #4
speeding.rocket
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 E90 6MT AW

Good post. One thing to add. The Cyba tips are for E92 only. I ordered them for E90 but still came shipped with E92 tips. I need shorter tips for E90. So I still have not installed them since they are too long. I checked with a few muffler shops and they said if I cut them it wouldn't look the same.
      09-24-2013, 03:53 PM   #5
MasterP
Colonel
Rep

If it's the burnt finish I could see that.

You should try and see if adding a rear diffuser will help them appear shorter. That's what happened when I put mine back on.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2014, 08:23 PM   #6
Installsplus
Ultimate Driving Machine E92ESS625 M3/G05 X5 Msport 40i Individual
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 DCT/ESS 625 kit

Garage List
Can this also be done with the m performance exhaust ? Wish they had bigger tips
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2014, 09:28 PM   #7
Harry Da Hamster
Captain
Rep
Drives: The Bus

How much?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 10:55 AM   #8
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46m3

where do you purchase these tips?
      06-19-2014, 08:07 AM   #9
vincE92M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M

Garage List
'11 E92 M3  [0.00]
I'd like to know where these can be bought also. They look great; would love these in a black color
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 08:50 AM   #10
MasterP
Colonel
Rep

http://www.m3post.com/forums/member.php?u=26793

PM him
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2014, 12:42 PM   #11
blast1st
Test
Philippines
Rep
Drives: MDX as my daily @blast_1st

Is this the same size as EAS 80mm tips?! Thx
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 01:05 AM   #12
MasterP
Colonel
Rep

I'm sure they're similar in fit.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 03:01 PM   #13
duvinclunk
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 ZCP

Don't care for the burnt ends but like the concept. What other exhaust modifications do you have?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 02:49 PM   #14
MasterP
Colonel
Rep

I had done the OEM Exhaust Mod (Perf Method). Then got the CYBA tips. Then put on ACM Test Pipes. Rolled like that up until last month. Sold the ACM Pipes. Now running Challenge Race+ X Pipe. Sold the modded OEM Muffler. Now rear section is Vanguard Ti with Ti connecting pipes. OEM Mod Sounds better IMO.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 03:35 PM   #15
duvinclunk
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrakBch View Post
I had done the OEM Exhaust Mod (Perf Method). Then got the CYBA tips. Then put on ACM Test Pipes. Rolled like that up until last month. Sold the ACM Pipes. Now running Challenge Race+ X Pipe. Sold the modded OEM Muffler. Now rear section is Vanguard Ti with Ti connecting pipes. OEM Mod Sounds better IMO.
I'd like to do the OEM exhaust mod with test pipes but I'm worried it will be too loud. I'd then get these style tips but likely black. We'll see...
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 07:55 AM   #16
longbow0404
Private
Rep
Drives: 15 M3//09 E92 M3//12 C63 AMG

looks super nice!!!;

Anybody knows what wheels he has, I really like them
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 11:38 AM   #17
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: black e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by longbow0404 View Post
looks super nice!!!;

Anybody knows what wheels he has, I really like them
Wheels are Work Emotion
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 02:14 PM   #18
longbow0404
Private
Rep
Drives: 15 M3//09 E92 M3//12 C63 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by s85e90 View Post
Wheels are Work Emotion
thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 04:26 PM   #19
e92x
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: White 328i xdrive

Thumbs up PM?

Hey cyba, could you PM me about the size that i would need to get if i bought the supersprint quad tips and put them on my 328i, this would be in the titanium burnt tips. I'm new to the forum so i don't know how to use everything all that well yet. Thanks!

heres the link to the supersprint quad tip exhaust.

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-18...l-exhaust.aspx

Last edited by e92x; 10-06-2014 at 04:28 PM.. Reason: forgot to put link.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 04:28 PM   #20
MasterP
Colonel
Rep

You'll have better luck PM'ing him directly:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/member.php?u=26793
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2015, 07:02 PM   #21
JguidryE90
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 E90

Looks good! Anybody know where to find this for an E90?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 07:01 AM   #22
V8Noddy
Registered
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Those look amazing! And a great write-up too! I wonder if Cyba would ship to the UK?
Appreciate 0