BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Southwest

European Auto Source (EAS)

11-22-2011, 11:59 PM   #1
Cloud
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW 2009 E92 6MT

Anyone can help a fellow member get in the Oil & Gas Industry?

Hey guys,
I posted this in the off topic area about a month ago and thought that it might be a good idea to post it here since most of the oil and gas companies are based in the south/midwest.

I just graduated this past June from Cal Poly Pomona as the Valedictorian of the College of Engineering and Electrical Engineering Dept and have been trying to get my foot in the energy/oil&gas sector (Chevron/Exxon-Mobil/Valero/BP etc) ever since June with no luck.

I have applied to the masters program for petroleum engineering at UT Austin but I really really want to have some work experience before entering the program because I wouldn't get as much out of the program if I didn't have any relevant work experience.

I'd appreciate it if anyone could give me a hand getting my resume to the right contacts.

Please do help me out if you work in the industry or know anyone who does.

Thank you.

My email is:
Adrian.fn2 at gmail dot com
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 12:40 AM   #2
orion565
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 m3

help

If you were more specific, I think that would help because there are thousands of oil and gas jobs and one of us might be able to help if you were more direct in a position you were intrested in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
Hey guys,
I posted this in the off topic area about a month ago and thought that it might be a good idea to post it here since most of the oil and gas companies are based in the south/midwest.

I just graduated this past June from Cal Poly Pomona as the Valedictorian of the College of Engineering and Electrical Engineering Dept and have been trying to get my foot in the energy/oil&gas sector (Chevron/Exxon-Mobil/Valero/BP etc) ever since June with no luck.

I have applied to the masters program for petroleum engineering at UT Austin but I really really want to have some work experience before entering the program because I wouldn't get as much out of the program if I didn't have any relevant work experience.

I'd appreciate it if anyone could give me a hand getting my resume to the right contacts.

Please do help me out if you work in the industry or know anyone who does.

Thank you.

My email is:
Adrian.fn2 at gmail dot com
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 01:50 AM   #3
Cloud
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the reply. I really appreciate it. I am interested specifically in offshore/deepwater drilling.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 02:34 AM   #4
orion565
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 m3

I am trying to help, but you have to still be more specific than that. There is everything from a deck hand to master engineer on drilling rigs and everything in between, so we still would need a lot more information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
Thanks for the reply. I really appreciate it. I am interested specifically in offshore/deepwater drilling.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 07:21 AM   #5
TxFeatFan
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
2024 G83 M4  [10.00]
2017 F80 M3  [10.00]
Jacobs Engineering is hiring for upstream engineering work, but I'm not sure whether they're hiring co-op students. Most positions are full-time carreer type slots.

http://www.jacobs.com

—————————————————————————————————————
2024 Tanzanite Blue II M4 Convertible
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 11:00 AM   #6
JC919
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: CSL

You could always go roustabout for an offshore drilling company. It's how I got my start, but you have to really want it b/c it will be miserable for a while. From there you could try to get into an Engineer Trainee program. If you do this, try to go ultra deepwater.

You could also try applying for an engineering internship with Schlumberger, Baker Hughes, etc. However, this will be very difficult with all o the applicants due to the economy.

I am not an engineer btw.
2002 M5, SSII/Blk and bone stock. In storage back home in TX
2008 M3, AW/Blk 6MT, lots of track stuff SOLD

Last edited by JC919; 11-23-2011 at 11:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 12:42 PM   #7
TXmtrhed
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Try the service companies such as Halliburton, Schlumberger, Weatherford, Baker. They are all hiring due to the Eagleford play in South Texas and other hot trends such as the Bakken and Marcellus. If you're not picky about what type of position you take I would think you could get on, perhaps as a junior engineer on a wireline or frac crew. Hours are long but if you stick with the big service companies your benefits are good and there should be opportunities to move up and/or to their other divisions. These companies offer a broad spectrum of services to their clients so there should be a lot of opportunities once you get some experience.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 01:03 PM   #8
Cloud
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion565 View Post
I am trying to help, but you have to still be more specific than that. There is everything from a deck hand to master engineer on drilling rigs and everything in between, so we still would need a lot more information.
Well, I'm looking for a drilling engineer position but that requires a lot of experience. It would be best if I could join a training program or take up a jr drilling engineer job like some companies offer.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 01:09 PM   #9
Cloud
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC919 View Post
You could always go roustabout for an offshore drilling company. It's how I got my start, but you have to really want it b/c it will be miserable for a while. From there you could try to get into an Engineer Trainee program. If you do this, try to go ultra deepwater.

You could also try applying for an engineering internship with Schlumberger, Baker Hughes, etc. However, this will be very difficult with all o the applicants due to the economy.

I am not an engineer btw.
Sorry if I sound clueless but, does everyone start from a roustabout position? From the impression I got from the internet and talking to people, it's usually the guys that come straight out from high school that start there?

I'm looking for more of a design and problem solving role if that makes sense. However, please do tell me if I'm asking for too much and if I sound like an arrogant idiot because from graduating as an engineer I expected doing engineer work. Not looking to offend anyone.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2011, 12:18 PM   #10
TXmtrhed
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

I should have mentioned that since you're going to grad school try and get an internship with an oil & gas company. It might not be too late to get an internship for next summer. This is a great way to get your foot in the door as companies often hire former interns. Try applying with medium sized companies too (Devon, Chesapeake, EOG, etc) and be open to working onshore. Once you have some experience you can start looking for an offshore position.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 02:09 AM   #11
Cloud
Lieutenant
Rep

Is going to grad school for petroleum engineering worth it though. I'm not an ME or CE so I have to take alot of background courses
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 08:50 AM   #12
Hix
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 Bmw m3

You really should have looked at being an intern at one of those places because without that it is almost impossible to get in with them. I work at BP and I can tell you they really employ very few people. Most of the people are contractors. BTW school means nothing since I don't even have a high school diploma but have a job there.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 11:39 AM   #13
Buschy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I think jobs are harder to get now, lots of people in the industry have been off for a while or moved out of texas for new shale plays.
I dont know anything about off shore.
      12-19-2011, 03:44 PM   #14
Ajax-Prime
Hydrocarbon Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: Still waiting on Stuttgart...

Try looking at BHP's website
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 12:44 AM   #15
Straight Dave
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 e92 m3

Look at pioneer exploration, private company and they are hiring engineers.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 07:26 AM   #16
M3roar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 e92 M3

Garage List
2010 BMW M3 e92  [9.34]
1998 BMW M3  [8.50]
haha, reading this makes me think of one thing... not wanting to work your way up... get a cheap lower end job even with a good degree and work your way up. If your worth it, people will see... of course having friends and connections will help you get there sooner but there's no better way that to work your way there and deserve to sit that big chair.
Appreciate 0