BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

03-15-2015, 03:56 PM   #1
riccochet
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 Frozen Black E92 M3

Troubleshooting Bluetooth and audio issues

Hey guys,
Got a 2011 M3 late last summer. Stored it during the winter so i haven't really thought much about the bluetooth and and usb media problems i have been seeing but i am wondering if what i have is common or just maybe bad luck?
I have a LG G3 android phone that connects to the vehicle fine, but the longer i use the car the less reliable the bluetooth connection becomes. For instance, if i'm just running around doing some errands for 10 mins a time, i don't really notice any issues. However, if i'm in my car for an hour or so, getting multiple phone calls that are longer calls themselves, the bluetooth will just drop (not the call itself) and i'll have to root around while i'm driving to pick up the call. After 30 seconds to a minute, the bluetooth picks up the phone again and it will work with the car. then it will just randomly drop bluetooth again and re-establish connection.
I can't get bluetooth audio working in the car so i have a simple ipod nano that i have my music on that is always plugged into the car. For the most part it works well (except almost never being able to retrieve album information) but the longer drives i take with the vehicle, it will randomly crash the music playing on a random track in my playlist. It will then restart the smart search playing at the first track and crash every single time on that one track. Until i turn off the car for an extended period of time (a few hours at least) then it will play through the track fine, and crash on a different track. Its a bit frustrating since it kinda feels like i can't drive my car reliably for extended periods (hands free phone calls and music are really the most necessary part of a road trip for me. :P). Being new the whole BMW ownership, i really am not sure how to troubleshoot these issues. Can anyone tell me if what i'm experiencing is normal or how i should go about resolving them?
I should also note, that when i got the car i actually had a map update and software update from the dealership within the first few weeks of owning it, but i really don't know what version of the software i'm running as i don't have the option for a software update myself.
Also, i know that there are cars that have had a lot of problems with the android bluetooth stack in the past, and i have no iphone to test calls with as i'm a pretty staunch android user. I would think that my ipod nano however would be pretty rock solid for music.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 04:59 PM   #2
Colo M3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 MW E92

I have a similar problem in my 2011. The center console USB will have a hard time reading the SD card via USB, and if it does read it, it will drop shortly after. Any advise would be great. TIA.
Appreciate 0