BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

10-05-2014, 12:56 PM   #1
ArtemI
Registered
Rep
Drives: E92 BMW M3

Question Track Days for SoCal

Guys,

I just moved to Los Angeles and looking for a track where I can take my car for some laps. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have 13E92. Also do I need to upgrade any components before i go?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2014, 01:13 PM   #2
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtemI
Guys,

I just moved to Los Angeles and looking for a track where I can take my car for some laps. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have 13E92. Also do I need to upgrade any components before i go?

Thanks
Check out the la BMW cca chapter they always have good events.

Speedventures is another good one. they are acs today and I was there yesterday.
      10-05-2014, 02:00 PM   #3
mj89h
3-Pedals-Only
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 535i daily

Autoclub speedway is the closest track and is nice because it actually has garages and a big air conditioned meeting room... not to mention you can hit 150 on the straight
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2014, 02:04 PM   #4
mj89h
3-Pedals-Only
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 535i daily

Here's a link to an event thats was held this weekend

http://speedventures.com/EVENTS/eventdetail.aspx?id=471
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 08:42 AM   #5
M4isKing
Banned
Rep
Drives: no torque

Quote:
Guys,

Thanks
check out the track session. i run with speed ventures (lot of members do here - i just posted a video of autoclub speedway). i also run with cca once a year because they have good classroom sessions for all levels of drivers.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 08:43 AM   #6
M4isKing
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson92
Quote:
Guys,

Thanks
Check out the la BMW cca chapter they always have good events.

Speedventures is another good one. they are acs today and I was there yesterday.
which group/car were you in?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 03:09 PM   #7
Candide13
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 M3 ZCP 6MT AW/FR

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4isKing View Post
check out the track session. i run with speed ventures (lot of members do here - i just posted a video of autoclub speedway). i also run with cca once a year because they have good classroom sessions for all levels of drivers.
Same boat as OP and wondered about Speed Ventures, they have an event at Buttonwillow on 18th/19th of October. The participant list is already pretty long and they have a bunch of races on as well, do you have any idea how much track time one can expext?

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 04:31 PM   #8
M4isKing
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candide13
Quote:
Same boat as OP and wondered about Speed Ventures, they have an event at Buttonwillow on 18th/19th of October. The participant list is already pretty long and they have a bunch of races on as well, do you have any idea how much track time one can expext?

Cheers.
yeah on sat my friend said 135 ppl already signed up. dont know if that was for one day.

but five run groups. still a ton of cars at once. will be like the 405/10 freeway.

I'm going to do open test day on oct 24th (friday) you are welcome to join us if you want. send me a pm we can all roll together.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 05:33 PM   #9
ArtemI
Registered
Rep
Drives: E92 BMW M3

Thank you for all that info. I just signed up for http://www.speedventures.com/events/...il.aspx?id=474

Anyone else is going?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 06:36 PM   #10
Candide13
Captain
Rep

Quote:
yeah on sat my friend said 135 ppl already signed up. dont know if that was for one day.

but five run groups. still a ton of cars at once. will be like the 405/10 freeway.

I'm going to do open test day on oct 24th (friday) you are welcome to join us if you want. send me a pm we can all roll together.
Interesting! How does the open test day work?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 06:39 PM   #11
M4isKing
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candide13 View Post
Interesting! How does the open test day work?
its held by the track...30 minutes sessions after another. if there are open wheeled cars there, they usually split, open, closed, open, closed.

its a lot more track time. i basically go at noon and get the same track time i would get with an org like SV. i tink speed district has a lot more time due to less ppl. but half day is only $110.

the cars there are interesting, full on built race cars "testing" to setup and then lemons
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 10:44 PM   #12
USCTrojanMan29
Captain
Rep
Drives: Purple People Eater

Check out PCA San Diego...they put on a good show and won't be as crowded as Speed Ventures (less ass clowns going off too). They are out at Chuckwalla in about 2.5 weeks and then at Buttonwillow in mid-Nov (my favorite 2 tracks in So Cal).
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 10:51 PM   #13
Candide13
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCTrojanMan29 View Post
Check out PCA San Diego...they put on a good show and won't be as crowded as Speed Ventures (less ass clowns going off too). They are out at Chuckwalla in about 2.5 weeks and then at Buttonwillow in mid-Nov (my favorite 2 tracks in So Cal).
Funny, I just looked at their web page not a minute ago..

They seem to have a ton of documents and rules stuff to trawl through before you can register for the chuckwalla event, including pre-tech by a shop. Do you know whether they really are that anal, eh,thorough?
Otherwise the event looks good..
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 11:10 PM   #14
M4isKing
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCTrojanMan29
I'm considering the brp with pca too. hope they dont black flag me too much lol.

But I see in videos a lot of them going off. Or not knowing their surroundings. It happens in the best of clubs.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 01:34 AM   #15
imserious
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 MR

Quote:
+1

Last time I ran with SV they had offs constantly. conservative in the beginners group, but pretty lax otherwise. Seems to cater to the aggressive crowd.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 01:37 AM   #16
USCTrojanMan29
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Funny, I just looked at their web page not a minute ago..

They seem to have a ton of documents and rules stuff to trawl through before you can register for the chuckwalla event, including pre-tech by a shop. Do you know whether they really are that anal, eh,thorough?
Otherwise the event looks good..
They are fussy and a little more work to get vetted but once you do you are in. You have to register your car on the site and get the total performance points added up. Just ask the shop that you take your car to or have a buddy sign it for you. They are one of the least expensive groups out there, that includes Speed Ventures. You'll get 5 sessions and Saturday and then 4 sessions on Sundy plus you can participate in the timed runs. They have a cool website that tracks all the times with their transponder and will text you your times. PCA GGR is also great but they only do Buttonwillow once a year.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 01:41 AM   #17
USCTrojanMan29
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by imserious View Post
+1

Last time I ran with SV they had offs constantly. conservative in the beginners group, but pretty lax otherwise. Seems to cater to the aggressive crowd.
Yeah, I got tired of the traffic, constant offs, cars throwing dirt/rocks onto the track, and idiots dive bombing you into the corners so I decided to stick mainly to PCA/POC/BMW CCA events. The guys in PCA/POC are faster than BMW CCA but are generally not as aggressive as SV/Extremespeed drivers.

Last edited by USCTrojanMan29; 10-08-2014 at 01:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 01:48 AM   #18
USCTrojanMan29
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I'm considering the brp with pca too. hope they dont black flag me too much lol.

But I see in videos a lot of them going off. Or not knowing their surroundings. It happens in the best of clubs.
I'll tell you that they don't really like people sliding/drifting and will black flag you for it even if it's done under control. I've been to about a half dozen PCA events this year and I could count the total offs for the entire weekend on one hand. They don't tolerate offs...3 offs and you are done for the weekend.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 11:24 PM   #19
M4isKing
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I'll tell you that they don't really like people sliding/drifting and will black flag you for it even if it's done under control. I've been to about a half dozen PCA events this year and I could count the total offs for the entire weekend on one hand. They don't tolerate offs...3 offs and you are done for the weekend.
i drift but never go off
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 01:20 AM   #20
Candide13
Captain
Rep

Quote:
They are fussy and a little more work to get vetted but once you do you are in. You have to register your car on the site and get the total performance points added up. Just ask the shop that you take your car to or have a buddy sign it for you. They are one of the least expensive groups out there, that includes Speed Ventures. You'll get 5 sessions and Saturday and then 4 sessions on Sundy plus you can participate in the timed runs. They have a cool website that tracks all the times with their transponder and will text you your times. PCA GGR is also great but they only do Buttonwillow once a year.
Alright, I signed up for the Chuckwalla event 25/26 Oct, now I need to see whether they will let me in!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 06:39 PM   #21
USCTrojanMan29
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Alright, I signed up for the Chuckwalla event 25/26 Oct, now I need to see whether they will let me in!
Did you register your car and calculate your points? TLP can provide some input as he has registered his E92 with PCA SD a few times already. See you out there...
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2014, 12:52 AM   #22
Candide13
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Did you register your car and calculate your points? TLP can provide some input as he has registered his E92 with PCA SD a few times already. See you out there...
I did all that, but I am on a waitlist..
Appreciate 0