BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

BPM

09-11-2014, 10:09 AM   #1
lutfy
Captain
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, NASA ST5 86, Defender

Member M3s at Road Atlanta

Member M3s toying at Road Atlanta this past weekend with BMWCCA Peachtree Chapter

2009 E90 M3, 3918lbs with driver. Toya RA1s 275/18 square, Bilstein EDC shocks, Ground Control Camber plates set at -2.5 degree, Eibach Springs, H&R Front Sway bar, Super Sprint F1 Exhaust, Performance Friction 2 piece rotors, Pagid RS19 Pads. DCT.

Prior to the above mods and with just PF08s, RA1s, GC Plates otherwise stock, my best time was a 1:40.3 Past weekend cracked 1:39.9 however my speeds at the end of the straight is low by 4mph.

Sleeper's car pulls away drastically We were neck to neck literally...
Car is with dealer getting motor checked due to vibrations now.

Enjoy

Lutfy
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 02:05 PM   #2
lutfy
Captain
Rep

Here's one giving P cars a rough time. This is why I dont drive my 911S on the track and its mostly a street car. Action starts at 1:10 mark.

Last edited by lutfy; 09-11-2014 at 04:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 02:49 PM   #3
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

he should have let you pass though
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 04:06 PM   #4
InterJon
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

Looks like fun. I have never driven Road Atlanta, despite being a few hours away. I think I am going to run there in October, with Rezoom. I have not decided if I will take the e92 or e36.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 04:06 PM   #5
lutfy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkimM3r View Post
he should have let you pass though
We were very evenly matched. When he did let me pass (was slowed down by another car), you can see him lingering on my side view mirror all along. His car is faster on some section, some sections my car had a slight edge (Bill was on heat cycled rubber, I had fresh rubber hence the advantage) Bill is a VERY fast driver!

Bill did you video?

I am amazed how much his car pulls one me on the straights! I thought it was about putting power down but nah he walks away like GT3s!!!

Lutfy
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 06:32 PM   #6
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutfy View Post
We were very evenly matched. When he did let me pass (was slowed down by another car), you can see him lingering on my side view mirror all along. His car is faster on some section, some sections my car had a slight edge (Bill was on heat cycled rubber, I had fresh rubber hence the advantage) Bill is a VERY fast driver!

Bill did you video?

I am amazed how much his car pulls one me on the straights! I thought it was about putting power down but nah he walks away like GT3s!!!

Lutfy
but he gains that much on the straights and then you're on him again...so is this your way of saying you ARE SUPER FAST?

is the other car supercharged?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 08:37 PM   #7
lutfy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
but he gains that much on the straights and then you're on him again...so is this your way of saying you ARE SUPER FAST?

I had newer (better Bilstein) shocks, eibach springs and hr bar which makes a decent difference; at my home track at summit point it got me half plus second. Car stays planted than dance at high speeds due to lack of rebound. Hence more confidence. I also had more grip since I had brand new tires.

But both Bill and I collect identical times at other tracks we have been at.

Bills car is stock. If anything my car has exhaust and tune
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 09:44 PM   #8
Groundpilot
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135I DCT , e92 M3 DCT, Audi A6

Quote:
I had newer (better Bilstein) shocks, eibach springs and hr bar which makes a decent difference; at my home track at summit point it got me half plus second. Car stays planted than dance at high speeds due to lack of rebound. Hence more confidence. I also had more grip since I had brand new tires.

Time to supercharge it
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 10:31 PM   #9
Sleeper519
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3 DCT

Quote:

Bill did you video?

Lutfy
Lutfy, that was fun running together at RA. We were pretty evenly matched. I kept saying all weekend that I had no grip, and when I got home I saw why: 2 of my R1s were corded!! And all 4 were pretty much heat-cycled out. Oh yeah, the front brake pads were almost down to the backing plates too...
Oh well. New rubber (and Pagids) ordered, should be set and ready for VIR next month.

I did video some sessions, seemed Harry's was giving me funky data, was often missing Start/Finish trigger and bundling 3 or 4 laps together. not too many totally clean laps though, always had some traffic. Those pesky P-cars did keep getting in the way.

Good seeing you out there!

-Bill

2008 M3 Coupe / DCT // StopTech BBK 380/355 / Pagid RS29 / Motul / Apex Arc-8 / BFG R1S / Ground Control / MS filter / Performance spoiler / BPM tune // Road Atlanta 1:39.70 / VIR Full 2:10.87 / Barber 1:42.20
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 12:58 AM   #10
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP

Quote:
Member M3s toying at Road Atlanta this past weekend with BMWCCA Peachtree Chapter

2009 E90 M3, 3918lbs with driver. Toya RA1s 275/18 square, Bilstein EDC shocks, Ground Control Camber plates set at -2.5 degree, Eibach Springs, H&R Front Sway bar, Super Sprint F1 Exhaust, Performance Friction 2 piece rotors, Pagid RS19 Pads. DCT.

Prior to the above mods and with just PF08s, RA1s, GC Plates otherwise stock, my best time was a 1:40.3 Past weekend cracked 1:39.9 however my speeds at the end of the straight is low by 4mph.

Sleeper's car pulls away drastically We were neck to neck literally...
Car is with dealer getting motor checked due to vibrations now.

Enjoy

Lutfy
Nice driving. Those small unwinding of the steering wheel as your car slides a little at corner entries is all you need.
BRP 1:56 | CVR 2:01 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34

Last edited by OC3; 09-12-2014 at 01:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 01:05 AM   #11
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP

Quote:
Here's one giving P cars a rough time. This is why I dont drive my 911S on the track and its mostly a street car. Action starts at 1:10 mark.

Close-up view of you riding P-cars' tail was fun to watch.
BRP 1:56 | CVR 2:01 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 08:00 AM   #12
lutfy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC3 View Post
Close-up view of you riding P-cars' tail was fun to watch.
While GT3s are AWESOME no doubt. I dont know the whole fuss about P cars. I love mine (997 C2S) and while it has better brakes, fantastic positioning, leather, back end attracts more attention than Kardashian in Spax. The more I continue to compare and spend time with both cars, My C2S can no where near be driven to the limit like the M3 (despite being 500lbs lighter). GT3s and Cup Cars are a different story, this C2S has an open diff (just imagine).

I use my 911 for serene weekend drives, M3 for the track unless I want to give point bys YMMV

Cheers,

Lutfy

Last edited by lutfy; 09-12-2014 at 08:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 08:05 AM   #13
lutfy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper519 View Post
Lutfy, that was fun running together at RA. We were pretty evenly matched. I kept saying all weekend that I had no grip, and when I got home I saw why: 2 of my R1s were corded!! And all 4 were pretty much heat-cycled out. Oh yeah, the front brake pads were almost down to the backing plates too...
Oh well. New rubber (and Pagids) ordered, should be set and ready for VIR next month.

I did video some sessions, seemed Harry's was giving me funky data, was often missing Start/Finish trigger and bundling 3 or 4 laps together. not too many totally clean laps though, always had some traffic. Those pesky P-cars did keep getting in the way.

Good seeing you out there!

-Bill
Bill, Most fun I had that weekend during time out with you Your tires looked dead. Have you tried Toyo RR? They are AMAZING. All the qualities of an RA1/NT01 (howling, letting go at a slide etc.) but with more grip. No more than 34psi BTW.

My last set of RA1s (economics) but next year I intend to run 265/295 R888. I drove a student's car with staggered setup and it was AMAZING how you can put the power down. Never an oversteering moment (unless you really stomped and it was deliberate).

VIR with NASA or Tarheel? I am doing NASA first week of October. If you ever consider Summit Point, you have a home to stay BTW.

Even matched indeed arch rival

Lutfy
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 08:19 AM   #14
lutfy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundpilot View Post
Time to supercharge it
Never Given the lack of reliability of S65 and heat as is. BTW there was a performance center M4 there giving fun runs. It overheated a few times. Tells you something....

Low on power was due to some engine issue. It had been soundling like a marble in the motor and is currently at the shop getting diagnosis. Fingers crossed

Lutfy
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 10:46 AM   #15
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutfy
Quote:

whoa whats happening on the straights then? unless he is exiting quite faster hes really walking you!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 11:31 AM   #16
Groundpilot
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135I DCT , e92 M3 DCT, Audi A6

Quote:
whoa whats happening on the straights then? unless he is exiting quite faster hes really walking you!
He said his engine had some issues. OP, please let us know what was the problem, hopefully nothing serious.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 07:50 PM   #17
quicktwinturbo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Limited Ed Toyota Camry

Great driving! If the coupe was stock, I wonder why his car significantly pulled away on straight...
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 10:03 PM   #18
lutfy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundpilot View Post
He said his engine had some issues. OP, please let us know what was the problem, hopefully nothing serious.
I got a call back. The motor mounts were shot and engine dangling on the subframe. This takes care of the vibration. Next the power steering was making noises so they fixing that. Lastly and my major concern, bha bha bha clunk clunk noise like diesel from the motor. My car jused to pull almost 146-147 on the fronts vs 141-142 now with data.

God knows but will keep you all posted.

I also feel we should flush the coolant and run water plus water wetter as these motors tend to run hot. Needle on mine was now between 3/4 and full 300 mark.

On a seperate note my entry and exits are faster so the suspension worked.
Also the stock upgraded brakes (Pfc rotors, guide pins and pagids) really damn work.

60k miles miles on odo.

Lutfy
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2014, 06:49 AM   #19
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

I think many people mistake basic physics for a portion of the effect of other cars pulling away from them on straights since I see comments like that often. If two cars are absolutely identical and are driven exactly the same creating the exact same lap time, the car in front will always pull away (have a continually increasing gap with speed) down any straight.

What will stay exactly constant (again, assuming identical situation as above) is the time gap between the cars. If these perfectly identical cars/drivers start out 1 second apart, they will always be 1 second apart. What will change continually around the track is the distance between the cars. What will be evident if you're the trailing car, is the perception that the car in front is just "pulling away" the further you go down the straight.

At turn 7 if the cars are 1 second apart at 40mph (59 feet apart), at the end of the straight at 140mph they are still 1 second apart, but now that distance is 205 feet. As they brake into the chicane down to say 40mph again, the car in the back will have the perception of "closing the gap" as the distance collapses to 59 feet when in fact it is always exactly 1 second behind.

I realize I'm preaching the choir here for many, but it's easy to get taken in by the basics without realizing it since it's such a strong visual input to experience (not saying this is the OP's situation with the other M3, just pointing out that it might be part of it since we're all susceptible).

Regards,
Chuck

P.S. This basic physics issue crops up when people try to race each other from a roll too. If one car gets the jump by 0.5 seconds (easy to do), and the two cars are identical and shifted identical, etc, that car will continually "walk away" from the exactly identical other car as speeds increase when in fact they are performing exactly the same. By 160mph the gap between then will have opened up to 117 feet (0.5 sec), and the driver behind will be looking to find out "what's wrong" with his identical car since he just witnessed the other car "walk away from him" and continually open up more and more gap.

P.S.S. Nice driving at RA btw! The car looks well balanced/setup and a lot of fun, especially with DCT shifts. I've not been on RA since 1983 (when the back straight had the "fun" ending ).
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8
Appreciate 1
      09-13-2014, 08:06 AM   #20
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5
I think many people mistake basic physics for a portion of the effect of other cars pulling away from them on straights since I see comments like that often. If two cars are absolutely identical and are driven exactly the same creating the exact same lap time, the car in front will always pull away (have a continually increasing gap with speed) down any straight.

What will stay exactly constant (again, assuming identical situation as above) is the time gap between the cars. If these perfectly identical cars/drivers start out 1 second apart, they will always be 1 second apart. What will change continually around the track is the distance between the cars. What will be evident if you're the trailing car, is the perception that the car in front is just "pulling away" the further you go down the straight.

At turn 7 if the cars are 1 second apart at 40mph (59 feet apart), at the end of the straight at 140mph they are still 1 second apart, but now that distance is 205 feet. As they brake into the chicane down to say 40mph again, the car in the back will have the perception of "closing the gap" as the distance collapses to 59 feet when in fact it is always exactly 1 second behind.

I realize I'm preaching the choir here for many, but it's easy to get taken in by the basics without realizing it since it's such a strong visual input to experience (not saying this is the OP's situation with the other M3, just pointing out that it might be part of it since we're all susceptible).

Regards,
Chuck

P.S. This basic physics issue crops up when people try to race each other from a roll too. If one car gets the jump by 0.5 seconds (easy to do), and the two cars are identical and shifted identical, etc, that car will continually "walk away" from the exactly identical other car as speeds increase when in fact they are performing exactly the same. By 160mph the gap between then will have opened up to 117 feet (0.5 sec), and the driver behind will be looking to find out "what's wrong" with his identical car since he just witnessed the other car "walk away from him" and continually open up more and more gap.

P.S.S. Nice driving at RA btw! The car looks well balanced/setup and a lot of fun, especially with DCT shifts. I've not been on RA since 1983 (when the back straight had the "fun" ending ).
Well put
      09-16-2014, 12:58 PM   #21
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5

Regards,
Chuck

except his exit speed looked faster.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2014, 10:58 AM   #22
PA Z06
Private
Rep
Drives: Corvette Z06

Great videos and driving, was that a go pro camera, if so what was it attached too.
Thanks for sharing
Appreciate 0