BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

BPM

09-14-2014, 01:05 AM   #1
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

ACS with BMW CCA LA Chapter

Here are some vids of my track day with BMW CCA LA.

Got to meet Longboarder and Triple M. Damn, their cars are nice. Mine's just a family sedan with just the basics. KW CS, Hawk DTC 70, and RS3 275 square. Oem modded exhaust. I did appreciate what I learned, but I didn't learn as much as I wanted/intended too since I was in the B group (should have been A for sure). I usually am middle of the pack in SV black group and truly try to gain and learn more technique and skill as opposed to lap times. As I have said everywhere, my lap times get better as a side effect to improving my driving.

Short quick clip for you guys:

Long version:

Instruction session (in Longboarder's thread):
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 09:23 AM   #2
CalSE
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

It appears you've got the race line under control. What do these clubs claim to offer by way of further instruction?

I would be interested in learning better techniques in trail braking, optimise entry and exit speeds, best turning angles, etc. if they offer.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 09:37 AM   #3
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalSE
It appears you've got the race line under control. What do these clubs claim to offer by way of further instruction?

I would be interested in learning better techniques in trail braking, optimise entry and exit speeds, best turning angles, etc. if they offer.
in the lower groups they teach you the essentials, which I feel that I've already learned from reading threads on here, speed secrets, going to the track once or twice every month, and by talking to other more experienced track junkies.

i spoke to another member here after the event for a bit and in the A class, they say throw most of the things you learned in BCD away and then learn more advanced techniques, eg braking while turning, not always being smooth, etc. Its basically you have to learn those beginner techniques to build a foundation before doing these more advanced things. Im thinking the things you mentioned are available in the A class if you were to ask.

Thats what I wanted to learn but unfortunately I wasnt in that class. But I still learned some valuable points on braking in the B class. But 95% (the rest of things that were discussed) of it I already knew.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 09:51 AM   #4
CalSE
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Oh man! Wasted your time (tires and gas) on a perfectly good hot day on "essentials"?

How would one avoid this? Or do they first need to graduate you from the "B" Class?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 10:18 AM   #5
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalSE
Oh man! Wasted your time (tires and gas) on a perfectly good hot day on "essentials"?

How would one avoid this? Or do they first need to graduate you from the "B" Class?
i should have just signed up for A regardless. they have a check off ride session which i think would have been a piece of cake.

I'm not saying im awesome, im just saying i was in the wrong group. there are prob A drivers much better than me, but i would say there are definitely A drivers less experienced than me. i recognize faces and cars from previous times and i get confused as to how they are an A driver already.

there was one thing that lead B instructor said in class that i could relate to totally:

the A drivers are those that are consistent and experiment little things here and there to fine tune and figure out what the car is doing.

thats what i was looking for. help on those little things.

if you watch my instruction session im doing a snails pace which really didnt do anything for except watch my line and trail brake practice and slow speeds.

plus i really dont like driving at speeds with another person in my car due to the danger, as well as the difference in dynamics due to weight. huge difference.

there was one instructor that i really liked in the classroom .he kept saying get on the throttle earlier!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 12:01 PM   #6
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkimM3r View Post
Haha that short vid is hilarious. I liked your lines particularly doing a double apex on 5/6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalSE View Post
Most of us had street tires and so tracking at 100+ degrees F with track temps probably over 150 degrees is probably a really good way to learn some valuable safety lessons about being careful and staying in control
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 12:13 PM   #7
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder
Quote:
Haha that short vid is hilarious. I liked your lines particularly doing a double apex on 5/6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalSE View Post
Most of us had street tires and so tracking at 100+ degrees F with track temps probably over 150 degrees is probably a really good way to learn some valuable safety lessons about being careful and staying in control
that wasnt my line to double apex. i was focused more on the car in front of me. noob mistake

i was taking it wide and then cutting in earlier to be exiting pretty much straight. in the long video starting from lap 3 i was doing it better!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 05:02 PM   #8
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP

Look fun! Man, haven't been to ACS since Feb 2013. Gotta get back there soon!
BRP 1:56 | CVR 2:01 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 05:51 PM   #9
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC3
Look fun! Man, haven't been to ACS since Feb 2013. Gotta get back there soon!
lets go! except I'll try 135mph around the roval next time. well 130 first lol
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 11:18 PM   #10
Triple M
Doc Rebel!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange M3, X5M, Blk 135

Excellent driving!!!
Glad you had a good time. Definitely was a fun day.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 12:08 AM   #11
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple M
Excellent driving!!!
Glad you had a good time. Definitely was a fun day.
was hoping to get you on cam but session stopped!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 08:11 PM   #12
SergioK
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Quote:
there was one thing that lead B instructor said in class that i could relate to totally:

the A drivers are those that are consistent and experiment little things here and there to fine tune and figure out what the car is doing.

thats what i was looking for. help on those little things.
Next time, bug your instructor. Communicate with him what you are looking for, expectations, goals, etc for the day. I've sometimes helped students work on just one (or a series) of corners, til they nail it.

Quote:
plus i really dont like driving at speeds with another person in my car due to the danger, as well as the difference in dynamics due to weight. huge difference.
The 'rewards weight' penalty is minimal but I will say this, any car which is properly driven is a hoot to ride in. Six Flag Magic Mountain?? Pfft! It's got nothing on a well driven car.
Quote:
there was one instructor that i really liked in the classroom .he kept saying get on the throttle earlier!
I'm glad you liked it.
Years ago when we had many two day schools we'd sometimes have the students work the corner worker stations for two sessions. I did it when I was a student. You can really learn quite a bit by watching the different groups. D group drivers usually don't get on the throttle til way past the apex. You could hear C/D drivers getting on the throttle right at the apex and the A guys were usually on it as soon as they could, typically way before the apex.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 09:54 PM   #13
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

thanks Sergio, appreciate you leading the classroom for the day - like i said i still got valuable things out of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergioK View Post
Next time, bug your instructor. Communicate with him what you are looking for, expectations, goals, etc for the day. I've sometimes helped students work on just one (or a series) of corners, til they nail it.
i tried to before the first session and i seemed to get a lets take it easy approach. after coming out of the chicanes just after 5/6, i drifted out a little and dropped one wheel on the grass and had to correct (which im totally fine with)...but after that, he kept telling me to brake a lot earlier than other sessions (and i already was braking earlier than usual day at this track). this goes back to having a passenger in my car and taking it easy. he may have been uncomfortable so i didn't want to keep him uncomfortable which is totally fine with me.

Quote:
The 'rewards weight' penalty is minimal but I will say this, any car which is properly driven is a hoot to ride in. Six Flag Magic Mountain?? Pfft! It's got nothing on a well driven car.
regarding the weight of another person in the car, that is less a factor for me than me being responsible for someone else in my car in case shit happens, so I do take it down more than a notch.

If you compare the instuctor session with my solo session (or any of my videos with a passenger vs me alone) there is always a drastic difference.

Quote:
I'm glad you liked it.
Years ago when we had many two day schools we'd sometimes have the students work the corner worker stations for two sessions. I did it when I was a student. You can really learn quite a bit by watching the different groups. D group drivers usually don't get on the throttle til way past the apex. You could hear C/D drivers getting on the throttle right at the apex and the A guys were usually on it as soon as they could, typically way before the apex.
i think i just need to hammer the throttle on the way out and just make corrections...gotta find that right balance of grip vs slip...can't just be a drift on exit, although that IS more fun

last session was plenty of fun for me though and made up for the rest of the day....first three sessions were practicing certain things (trail braking 3/5/12 or whatever the first right turn is leading to the complex at the end, taking a different line through 5/6, generally being smoother on the brakes) and then the thought was pass as many A's as you can, and don't let any of them pass you! mission accomplished.

on a side note: first couple laps i kept target fixating 1m coupe in front of me through 5/6 which is horrible since that was the line i was taking differently than my usual days at ACS but about the 3rd or 4th lap i think i got it closer to what i was practicing (taking it wide)...that turn (and 9) are honestly my drift practice turns
Appreciate 0