BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

01-12-2010, 10:59 AM   #1
RedGTS
Private
Rep
Drives: Multiple

Extending O2 sensors

I'm going to be installing a custom X-pipe I bought from another member along with an Eisenmann catback, and I gather the shop that did his install had to extend his O2 sensors. I know you can buy O2 sensor extender harnesses for various GM and other cars that just plug right in to the factory wiring and sensors, but in poking around on here and the sites of some of the notable BMW tuners I don't see anything like that. Does someone sell plug and play extenders for our O2 sensors, and if not, how is the best way to extend them? Is splicing into the wires an option, or will that possibly screw up the sensors' performance? TIA.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 11:41 AM   #2
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedGTS View Post
I'm going to be installing a custom X-pipe I bought from another member along with an Eisenmann catback, and I gather the shop that did his install had to extend his O2 sensors. I know you can buy O2 sensor extender harnesses for various GM and other cars that just plug right in to the factory wiring and sensors, but in poking around on here and the sites of some of the notable BMW tuners I don't see anything like that. Does someone sell plug and play extenders for our O2 sensors, and if not, how is the best way to extend them? Is splicing into the wires an option, or will that possibly screw up the sensors' performance? TIA.
From my experience with other cars, extending the O2s is typically done when removing the precats and leaving the main cats in place. The secondary O2 is typically located between the precat and main cat but when the precat is removed, the O2 is moved behind the main cat to keep the engine management system from throwing a code. Just from seeing what is out there, it appears that most companies are getting around the code by upgrading the software to ignore the code.
      01-12-2010, 01:20 PM   #3
RedGTS
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808MGuy View Post
From my experience with other cars, extending the O2s is typically done when removing the precats and leaving the main cats in place. The secondary O2 is typically located between the precat and main cat but when the precat is removed, the O2 is moved behind the main cat to keep the engine management system from throwing a code. Just from seeing what is out there, it appears that most companies are getting around the code by upgrading the software to ignore the code.
That sounds correct. The secondary sensors on this X-pipe are after the HFC's. But there has to be a way to extend the sensor wires as opposed to just leaving the sensors out and flashing the ECU.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2010, 04:02 PM   #4
RedGTS
Private
Rep

Bump.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2010, 04:32 PM   #5
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

That would be a good idea so you could get rid of the primary cats and keep the secondary cats with O2 sensors pre/post the secondary cats. Akra needs to do this for their exhaust.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0