BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

08-06-2007, 12:02 AM   #67
e36jakeo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 6 Speed MT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
You're right about the point, that the increasing weight of todays cars is kinda problem. But your assumption that many will be cross shopping to RS5 and C63 is of little consequence then. Why would someone who thinks the M3 has become to heavy choose an even heavier car?

Best regards, south
The RS5 may come close to the same weight. The C63 has way more torque, which is an advantage on the street. The rest of the cars I listed are sublime performers.

Again, it comes down to price. A $55K base price makes sense, is in line with past model increases, and is appropriate for the performance gain. It also keeps it out of some of the tougher competition and makes the M3 very attractive.

Mid $60Ks and it would be tough not to get a Porsche.
      08-06-2007, 12:06 AM   #68
e36jakeo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 6 Speed MT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
And don't forget the M3's little brothers - the 335i and 135i. Not to mention the G37. These would probably be the worst performers among the others you mention, but they are also by far the cheapest.
For that exact reason ($$$ and tunability) I just euro-delivered a 335i. I have an S2000 -- it is VERY hard (albeit very fun) to use all the high end HP of a low torque, high HP engine. The torque-monster turbo 3.0 L inline six will be a lot of fun.

When the M3 sedan comes out I will do my cross shopping and see whether it is worth the extra $20K to upgrade.
      08-06-2007, 03:48 AM   #69
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by e36jakeo View Post
The RS5 may come close to the same weight. The C63 has way more torque, which is an advantage on the street. The rest of the cars I listed are sublime performers.

Again, it comes down to price. A $55K base price makes sense, is in line with past model increases, and is appropriate for the performance gain. It also keeps it out of some of the tougher competition and makes the M3 very attractive.

Mid $60Ks and it would be tough not to get a Porsche.
Really doubt that the RS5 will be closer in weight than RS4 is.
So you're not caring about the weight itself, but about the weight in relation to price and torque? The C63 might be for you then...

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2007, 08:42 PM   #70
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapmyfro View Post
that 111 mph trap is pretty impressive

with a broken in motor and a better launch, this car will probably be a 12.6 - 12.7 qtr.
C&D launches about as hard and fast as anyone. 12.9 is awesome. As quick as the V2 PROcede 335s, but a lot more fun doing it. 8400 redline is amazing.
Appreciate 0