BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

BPM

03-12-2013, 10:15 PM   #23
sc1989
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 coupe white, DCT, ZPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
Completely agree on the fact you have to be conscious to mangle the gasket. I have the new and old cap, both fit snug enough without having to push down on it. also if you lube it with oil it slides and keeps the gasket in place. If these techs (some) would just pay attention to the actual mechanics involved in something simple as an oil cap .... guys at my local Indy shop are meticulous in comparison.
does anyone buy chance have a photo of how the cap/gasket is meant to look. I had the same issue as OP the other day, had the car re-serviced today, and went over the job with service rep, checked the cap etc. Anyhow thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 10:28 PM   #24
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc1989 View Post
does anyone buy chance have a photo of how the cap/gasket is meant to look. I had the same issue as OP the other day, had the car re-serviced today, and went over the job with service rep, checked the cap etc. Anyhow thanks in advance
I can probably get a snap side-by-side tomorrow.
      03-13-2013, 12:56 AM   #25
sc1989
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I can probably get a snap side-by-side tomorrow.
thanks man truly appreciate it
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 03:22 PM   #26
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
thanks man truly appreciate it
Here you go, man. The left is the new cap and the right is the old version (original 5/2008). You can see the crust build-up on the old cap and the impression in the gasket. On the new cap, you can see the SE corner, oil accumulated here for some reason. I've had the new cap less than 1k miles.
Attached Images

03-14-2013, 01:08 AM   #27
sc1989
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Here you go, man. The left is the new cap and the right is the old version (original 5/2008). You can see the crust build-up on the old cap and the impression in the gasket. On the new cap, you can see the SE corner, oil accumulated here for some reason. I've had the new cap less than 1k miles.
thanks man,

ya i had a similar situation to oP but with the same cap you have on the left (new cap). Apparently that rubber 'o-ring' that goes around comes off easily if the cap is placed face down. Idk i am really paranoid i just hope i dont have a leak or experience another, it was a true headache. I too just had the cap installed on tuesday. But my original cap was the same as the "new cap" im guessing since its a 2013 they redid the design. I had no problems throughout break in, it was once those "m-certified techs" touched my car that the problems began. anyhow truly appreciate the side-by-side i will continue to monitor my cap and will alert anyone if it leaks or if the problem resurfaces.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 09:28 AM   #28
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
thanks man,

ya i had a similar situation to oP but with the same cap you have on the left (new cap). Apparently that rubber 'o-ring' that goes around comes off easily if the cap is placed face down. Idk i am really paranoid i just hope i dont have a leak or experience another, it was a true headache. I too just had the cap installed on tuesday. But my original cap was the same as the "new cap" im guessing since its a 2013 they redid the design. I had no problems throughout break in, it was once those "m-certified techs" touched my car that the problems began. anyhow truly appreciate the side-by-side i will continue to monitor my cap and will alert anyone if it leaks or if the problem resurfaces.
If the ring isn't lubed, you can almost feel it binding when you turn it. If you lube both sides of the gasket, it twists easily and stays snug. I imagine many folks seeing oil leak at that spot, remove the oil cap, and at that point, the gasket looks ok, so it's a WTF moment. My old cap probably would have been ok, but I noticed that crusting and impression in the gasket, so I replaced it cheap. I'll consider it a wear item now, like the gas cap.

Edit: Please notice on the new cap, the metal tabs are now covered. I wonder if repeated use was scraping the valve cover?

Last edited by thekurgan; 03-14-2013 at 02:09 PM.. Reason: forgot the metal tab issue
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 07:17 PM   #29
sc1989
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
literally just snapped some photos of my cap, same position as your new cap, there is some oil accumulating there as well...also noticed some black dirt like little particles when i had my finger on the actual ring...interesting
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 08:18 AM   #30
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
literally just snapped some photos of my cap, same position as your new cap, there is some oil accumulating there as well...also noticed some black dirt like little particles when i had my finger on the actual ring...interesting
Replace it. From those images, your seal has developed a groove that is probably inside of the oil neck. I suspect someone pushed down very hard while turning the cap on or off.
      04-10-2013, 11:36 AM   #31
sc1989
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Replace it. From those images, your seal has developed a groove that is probably inside of the oil neck. I suspect someone pushed down very hard while turning the cap on or off.

going to order from the site you sent,

thanks for the email man, i appreciate it. When the replacement cap arrives, can I just put it on?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 12:16 PM   #32
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
going to order from the site you sent,

thanks for the email man, i appreciate it. When the replacement cap arrives, can I just put it on?
Yes, I still put a bit of oil on the ring and gently screw it on, doesn't need any pressure. From your cap, it looks like someone was standing on it while screwing it down.
      04-11-2013, 01:35 PM   #33
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

are we saying if our cap's gasket looks like the cap on the right, then it's no good? I have no major leakage, but I do have a little of the crusty specs of oil around the cap on the engine block.
Appreciate 0