BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

BPM

03-09-2010, 09:29 PM   #1
mclarenmaniac
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche, BMW, Mini

Performance Center Delivery Option for 2011 M3?

Guys,
My e92 2011 M3 just went into production today. My dealer says i still have 2-3 weeks before which i can opt for Performance Center Delivery Option.

I was wondering is it worth going all the way from Northern Virginia to Spartanburg, SC for pick up?

Any opinions or experiences?
thanks
MM
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 09:49 PM   #2
Zed
Replicant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 E90 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclarenmaniac View Post
Guys,
My e92 2011 M3 just went into production today. My dealer says i still have 2-3 weeks before which i can opt for Performance Center Delivery Option.

I was wondering is it worth going all the way from Northern Virginia to Spartanburg, SC for pick up?

thanks
MM
I flew in from Houston, spent the night, took the school, and then drove my new M3 home from SC. It was well worth it in my opinion. My friend (guest) and myself had a blast. I would do it again.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 09:53 PM   #3
mclarenmaniac
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
I flew in from Houston, spent the night, took the school, and then drove my new M3 home from SC. It was well worth it in my opinion. My friend (guest) and myself had a blast. I would do it again.
how many hours do you get to track the m3?
thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 10:18 PM   #4
Zed
Replicant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 E90 DCT

Quote:
how many hours do you get to track the m3?
thanks!!
There are a few write ups around on these boards with lots of pictures, search around. Basically you get about 4 hours of track time. Both in the M3, hot lap by the instructor in an M5, and also some time in the X5 on the off-road course. In addition, you also get a guided tour of the factory & museum that is nearby (they were making X6's when we were there). The museum was 'meh', but the factory tour was actually pretty interesting, and the course was fun. For the course, it isn't the racing course like you can pay for (which lasts 2 days), it is more of a general BMW owner course (emergency braking, wet track, and some track time). You do it in their car, and they encourage you to push it.

All in all it is a full day.

It was great fun, and SC is a pretty area to visit.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 11:36 PM   #5
J-9
Converting 93 octane to noise.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F85 X5M

Quote:
Guys,

thanks
MM
My car went into production today, too.

I plan on doing this and I'll be flying from Norfolk, VA and driving back. Since I'm taking delivery in SC, I'll pay SC sales tax (capped at $300) and get a free night's stay at the Marriott which looks very nice.

Not a bad way to put some easy highway break-in miles on, IMO.
      03-10-2010, 06:09 AM   #6
drivendriver
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 E83 X3

Quote:
Guys,

thanks
MM
Yes, it's worth it. Do it.

This is what we did:

- Braking exercise;
- Lapping session on a short track; I had not been on any track in over 5 years, and that session made me get back into it;
- Skidpad;
- Other Roads course in an X5 (it really shows that soccer moms under-utilize their X5s);
- Ride in an M5 with an instructor (very impressive);
- Museum visit (personally I liked it a lot; they have some very cool cars, including some that I was a big fan of when I was a kid);
- And, of course, car delivery.

I skipped the factory tour, but you can do that too.

What struck me most was the enthusiasm of all the BMW staff, especially the driving instructors. People who work at the Performance Center really seem happy to work there, and proud of their products.

I drove there from Alexandria. I picked up a rental car at National and dropped it off at Spartanburg airport. It takes a whole day, and I have to say that there isn't a great deal to see between NoVA and Spartanburg, but it was still a nice little trip. The fact that BMW pays for the hotel and a very good meal is nice. And the drive back is a good way to break in your car.

You can bring a guest, and he/she will be able to participate in all the activities.

Last edited by drivendriver; 03-10-2010 at 06:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 06:16 AM   #7
drivendriver
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 E83 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-9 View Post
Since I'm taking delivery in SC, I'll pay SC sales tax (capped at $300)
I didn't have to pay SC sales tax.

If I remember correctly, in theory you have to, but in practice it's not enforced. BMW will send you a letter telling you about the tax, but also mentioning that they've never heard of anyone actually paying it. Or something to that effect. So, unless you're stopped by a SC cop in a bad mood, I doubt that you will have to pay it.

Last edited by drivendriver; 03-10-2010 at 06:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 06:46 AM   #8
auggiem3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C & E92 M3

Congrats! I did the same thing in '08 - flew from DC to Spartanburg, free dinner/breakfast/nights stay and then had a blast.

Found out a few weeks later (thanks to M3post) that I was entitled to a free 1 day M school with my purchase (since I bought between Sept '08 and Jan 1 '09) so I was back for another day of fun.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 06:50 AM   #9
Reznick
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 ,01 330,M240?

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-9 View Post
My car went into production today, too.

I plan on doing this and I'll be flying from Norfolk, VA and driving back. Since I'm taking delivery in SC, I'll pay SC sales tax (capped at $300) and get a free night's stay at the Marriott which looks very nice.

Not a bad way to put some easy highway break-in miles on, IMO.
Not sure about other states taxes, but if I purchased a car in any other state , I still have to pay NY sales tax. They get you as soon as the car is registered. Cool for you if you can sidestep it tough!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 06:58 AM   #10
Thrumcap
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Audi Q7

I'm also considering it. The scheduling seems like you have to have a pretty open window of time to make it work. I think they recommend not making any airline reservations until 3 weeks from estimated delivery date due to possible schedule changes. Hopefully it works out.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 07:53 AM   #11
paul.r
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 DCT

Zed,

How was the drive home? That's the only reservation I have. I'm doing ED, so am thinking that rather than PCD, I'll just find a weekend while I'm waiting on my vehicle to be redelivered and fly out for the two day M school.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 08:51 AM   #12
mclarenmaniac
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for all your input guys!
so i was wondering:
1. Is it One day or Two days experience?
2. Is Free Hotel only for 1 night?
3. Tiltle registration, BMW financing and payment/processing all done at Spartanburg or at my local dealer before i leave?
4. Can i skip the 3.17 percent VA tax and just pay 300 bucks SC tax?

thanks again!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 09:55 AM   #13
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Honda S2000 TT3

Quote:
Thanks for all your input guys!
so i was wondering:
1. Is it One day or Two days experience?
2. Is Free Hotel only for 1 night?
3. Tiltle registration, BMW financing and payment/processing all done at Spartanburg or at my local dealer before i leave?
4. Can i skip the 3.17 percent VA tax and just pay 300 bucks SC tax?

thanks again!!!!!
I did the PCD for my 2009 M3 purchase. Here are my best answers:

1. It is One Day. You will be in your new car and ready to leave by 5pm.
2. Free hotel is only for the one night before your PCD.
3. All those things are taken care of by your dealership, not the PC. Your dealership should give you a temp tag to drive the car home with.
4. You are still purchasing the car in the state of the dealer you are dealing with. You are just taking delivery in South Carolina.
2009 BMW M3 Coupe: Sold e92.ridedomain.com
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 10:15 AM   #14
kcdude24
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul.r View Post
Zed,

How was the drive home? That's the only reservation I have. I'm doing ED, so am thinking that rather than PCD, I'll just find a weekend while I'm waiting on my vehicle to be redelivered and fly out for the two day M school.
I'm doing an ED also with PCD re-delivery ....not much choice since I did the ED through BMW S. Atlanta unless I wanted to pay another $500 to have it shipped to me. I still qualify for a 1-day M school from my M5 purchase which I will try to coordinate with my re-delivery...if not I'll do the one-day routine and drive home to Kansas City. For me it is all about the drive: southern Germany, M school, and across the US. I just need to get the dates right and then work out the miles in Europe so I hit 1200 when I am back home in Kansas
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 10:21 AM   #15
paul.r
Enlisted Member
Rep

Eh, I guess I'm looking forward to driving 800 miles through the German Alpenstrasse, but 1000 miles/15 hours from Spartanburg to Houston, especially the 400+ miles of boring I-10 drive don't get me too excited. Even in an M3.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 10:24 AM   #16
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Honda S2000 TT3

So don't take I-10. Take the back roads. Turn it into a couple day trip and visit some cities along the way. You should enjoy driving your car back home. Anyone buying a new BMW that can afford the travel costs and time off work should definitely do PCD.
2009 BMW M3 Coupe: Sold e92.ridedomain.com
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 10:28 AM   #17
paul.r
Enlisted Member
Rep

The time away is kind of hard. We're already leaving our three young kids with our respective parents for the 10 days we'll be in Europe. Combine that with a long weekend in New York earlier this year and I think we've cashed in all of our parental favors for the year. So if I did the trip, it would be alone, and that would mean the most direct route.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 10:30 AM   #18
M3ltdown
Master Chief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e90 M3 JzB

Yes, definitely worth it!

I also drove the car back to northern va!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 12:08 PM   #19
kcdude24
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

We are leaving the kids also...kind of once in a decade opportunity for us while the grandparents are still capable. For the re-delivery my wife just said no thanks. So I'm going solo back home from the PC...it still beats having it shipped to Kansas. I plan on taking some mountain routes and back through Nashville or Memphis. I'm an avid photographer and plan on frequent stops....guess the 15 hr stretch is a matter of perspective and I'm looking forward to it....kind of my own Bullrun!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2010, 11:39 PM   #20
JOHNVIP
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

my 2011 m3 coupe has a production date of march 16. i called my s/a today and had him put me on the schedule to pick my car up at the perfomance center in south carolina. not sure yet how im getting there but i will be driving it home to new york!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2010, 02:56 AM   #21
platinumpapi
Sylish Driver
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i

Is the driving school or lessons, included in the pcd different then the regular one day M school? My dealer told me , that "the first day is free" i a m not exactly sure which school or lessons are free or included. Should i go ahead with whatever is free, or bust out the cash and pay for the 1 grand 1 day M school?
Appreciate 0