BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

EXXEL Distributions

12-26-2007, 10:57 AM   #1
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Honda is bringing the fight!!!

to Toyota's doorstep...

http://www.leftlanenews.com/honda-refining...e-on-prius.html

The Hybrid fight that is. I know many believe that he who has the money has the power to win(toyota fans).

I believe the vehicle in reference will be the CR-Z. I will be looking at a highly-efficient DD in the next year or so. I hope Honda does it right. They seem to be on point with their Civics, Accords, and CR-V so lets nail this hybrid car!!

**They do say that it will be cheaper than the current 23k Civic Hybrid. Thats an indication that it will be a little smaller...so even better
      12-26-2007, 11:34 AM   #2
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

The Honda hybrids have been series hybrids, IIRC (never runs only on the electric motor/generator) and the Toyota have been parallel hybrids which allow for an either or/both operation as opposed to the IC engine only, IC engine + electric assist that Honda has used. See this link:
http://www.hybridcenter.org/hybrid-c...he-hood-2.html

And change my notes above to Parallel for the Honda and Series/Parallel for the Toyota. (Linked to it, need to read it. ; -)
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2007, 08:28 PM   #3
~AJ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: None

Interesting.

Honda has a history of doing things oddly, yet reliably. Anyone remember the CVCC engines of the 1970's & '80's? My first car, a 1982 Accord, had a three barrel (!) caburetor.

All things being equal, Honda will do a good job engineering that thing.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2007, 11:29 PM   #4
Nixon
Banned
Rep
Drives: :

That is very good news for Honda. They are going to have to have some higher MPG vehicles to meet the new fleet averate fuel efficiency standards. If this model is popular, it will go a long way towards this requirement.

BMW needs to do the same. It would be nice for BMW to stand up and be LEADERS in the car industry in selling high mpg cars in the US, instead of being followers.

"the new hybrid-only model accounting for 200,000 sales annually."

That is crazy. That is on top of their existing hybrid sales. Clearly there is a huge market for high fuel efficiency vehicles. If BMW were to sell 123d's in the US, they could double the total number of 1-series units sold by just stealing 1 out of 10 of Honda's projected sales for this model. Or more accurately, make sales by providing the one thing that keeps so many people out of the high mpg car market: Performance!

Close the sale on all the buyers who look at a hybrid, and then run from the dealership once they drive one and find out how much a dog they are.
Appreciate 0