BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

EXXEL Distributions

04-25-2010, 03:59 PM   #1
blueman2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3

DTS and DD 5.1 on the Enhanced Sound System

This topic has been brought up in other threads but has been buried under the wrong topics. I wanted to start this new thread to focus only on the issue of true DTS and DD 5.1 playback on the Enhanced Premium Sound System.

I have 3 DVDs (Video, not DVD-A) that I have tried on my 2010 M3 with Enhanced Sounds. The titles are: Peter Gabriel's Play, Dark Side of the Moon - Alan Parson's Mix, and Blue Man Group - Audio. For the Blue Man Group DVD, I had to re-author it without the Audio_TS folder since that messes up the BMW system.

I am able to select DTS or DD 5.1 for all 3 DVDs in the player on the M3. All play the audio just fine, with sound coming from all the speakers, but the music seems to be down mixed back to 2 channel stereo. The full 5.1 does not appear to be retained. On my home system, the 5.1 is quite noticeable. The back speakers have different sounds coming from them than the front. But on the BMW, the front and back seem to have the exact same sounds coming from them.

Am I doing something wrong, or does the BMW not really support true 5.1 sound?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 05:58 PM   #2
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueman2 View Post
This topic has been brought up in other threads but has been buried under the wrong topics. I wanted to start this new thread to focus only on the issue of true DTS and DD 5.1 playback on the Enhanced Premium Sound System.

I have 3 DVDs (Video, not DVD-A) that I have tried on my 2010 M3 with Enhanced Sounds. The titles are: Peter Gabriel's Play, Dark Side of the Moon - Alan Parson's Mix, and Blue Man Group - Audio. For the Blue Man Group DVD, I had to re-author it without the Audio_TS folder since that messes up the BMW system.

I am able to select DTS or DD 5.1 for all 3 DVDs in the player on the M3. All play the audio just fine, with sound coming from all the speakers, but the music seems to be down mixed back to 2 channel stereo. The full 5.1 does not appear to be retained. On my home system, the 5.1 is quite noticeable. The back speakers have different sounds coming from them than the front. But on the BMW, the front and back seem to have the exact same sounds coming from them.

Am I doing something wrong, or does the BMW not really support true 5.1 sound?
There is no 5.1 processing in the OEM system as far as I know. Everything will be downmixed to 2 ch.
      04-26-2010, 08:35 PM   #3
roller
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808MGuy View Post
There is no 5.1 processing in the OEM system as far as I know. Everything will be downmixed to 2 ch.
I didn't know that.. I have hifi so I wouldn't be able to tell, but I expected the premium to have 5.1 DD and DTS support. Guess it's carpc if you want multichannel surround.
Appreciate 0