BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

BPM

02-09-2008, 08:28 AM   #1
omgitselainee
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW E92

The New Apple Macbook Air ??

Hey ..

What's your take on the new Macbook Air ?? Ive got a 17" Macbook Pro now but it really isn't easy lugging it around especially compared to the Air ?? Worth it for $2000 ??? TIA
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2008, 08:30 AM   #2
amazzzin
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Waste.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2008, 08:42 AM   #3
omgitselainee
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW E92

Thanks ....for the ummm input
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2008, 08:57 AM   #4
TheAcAvenger
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 R35 GTR / 2007 E92 335i

The air isn't a replacement for a real laptop. Therefore, at $2000, it's a big waste
2018 R35 GT-R Cicio800 | 2007 E92 335i - RB Turbos, TC Kline DA Coils, HPA M3 Suspension, Quaife LSD, Stoptech BBK, JB4, FuelIT, AR Downpipes, RDSport Quads, Stett OC, Helix IC, Volk TE-37, Vorsteiner V-35, OSS Headlights | Retired - 2015 F82 M4
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2008, 09:17 AM   #5
jadeddjay
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, f10 m5 comp

Garage List
2007 e92 335i  [0.00]
i think they made a big mistake on this one. the design is pretty amazing but why have something like that run a normal oporating system. if they had designed a new light version of their OS much like what asus did with their eepc, and maybe included a decent solid state HD for the same price, i think it would be worth 2k. but that would make too much sense

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=4228

"The MacBook Air has reasonable performance based on the 1.6GHz Intel Core 2 Duo P7500 processor developed for the MacBook Air. That said, the XBench benchmarks indicate that the MacBook Air is the slowest Mac in Apple's current lineup. As you'll see in chart below, the MacBook Air has roughly half the performance of a previous generation MacBook. The startup into Leopard actually takes almost as much time as my old PowerBook G3 (Pismo) takes to startup into Panther."

"As the old saying goes, "you never get a second chance to make a good first impression." Somehow, I don't think everyone in Cupertino was thinking about this famous phrase when they developed the MacBook Air. While the Apple MacBook Air is an impressive design with some innovative features, the number of sacrifices that had to be made in order to create this ultra-thin notebook severely limits this laptop."

The lack of ports, low-capacity slow hard drive, and slow overall performance make the MacBook Air the weakest performing MacBook we've seen in the last few years. On the other hand, the MacBook Air is the sexiest looking MacBook we've ever seen.

Sure, you can fit the MacBook Air in a manila envelope ... but most consumers won't be impressed if the $1,800 laptop that comes out of the envelope isn't very powerful."
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2008, 09:35 AM   #6
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Keep in mind Apple is very good at providing products that meet a particular need.

Each of the laptops provide a very particular need. The pro line is exactly that, for people who need desktop performance in a laptop. The Macbook are the lower end for those who want transportability and do not need higher performance.

The air fit naturally in the middle for those who do not need top performance, but want something that is small and light weight.

Personally this is targeted towards people who travel all the time and they do not want to be lugging around a 5 lb to 7 lb laptop who also has access to a desktop machine for most of what they do performance wise.

Remember you do not need high end performance to check email, surf the web or listen to your music or maybe do word doc or spreadsheet.

However, if you going to develop webpage and photoshop, or other processor intensive things, of course you will sorely be disappointed. I hate review like the one above where the review does not look at something from the point of view of the person who will use it and the application it was intended to be used in.

It like someone who reviews BMWs performance cars all the time reviewing a Kia and tells you how it does not perform like a BMW when the person who is buying a Kia only cares about basic transportation. The end user are completely different and the use cases are not the same.

So if weight and size is the most important thing to you then the Air is something to consider, if you really need the performance and your only computer is the laptop stay with a pro because the Air will disappoint you.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2008, 09:43 AM   #7
jadeddjay
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, f10 m5 comp

Garage List
2007 e92 335i  [0.00]
so releasing a laptop whos performance is on par with their computers 10 years ago but with less options, and having it run their latest operating system with all the bells and whistles...

i dont see who needs that. portability? is their regular macbook sacrificing all that much portability? not in my opinion. unless all you can afford to carry on during your travels is a manila envelope, then maybe the air makes sense

i think its just eyecandy for people who have 2k and have run out of better ways to spend it.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2008, 03:46 PM   #8
keysopendoors
Captain
Rep
Drives: E91 M Sport

if you want something smaller just get the 2.2 ghz 13.3" macbook, its much smaller than the macbook pro and very easily carried around. i take mine to school, traveling...etc its never been an issue
      02-09-2008, 03:48 PM   #9
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328xi

I expect slow performance out of a notebook of the Air's size, so that's not an issue to me. I also expect it to be expensive, so that's not an issue either. What is an issue is that it has a non-replaceable battery that lasts for about two and a half hours. That's unacceptable. If it were replaceable like most sub-notebook batteries I could live with it, but 2.5 hours and no replacement = worthless product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2008, 04:43 PM   #10
Gripster
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
I was negative about the MB Air until I saw one first hand in the Apple store. I suggest you go and check one out and form your opinion that way.

For me, I didn't like

- 2GB ram (not expandable)
- 80gb HD (not currently upgradeable)
- No swappable battery
- Relatively slow CPU options.

These were all deal breakers until I got to handle one. Thing is, all of the above becomes irrelevant. The machine is an ergonomic dream. It is stylish, lightweight and solid. The solidity really surprised me - it feels like it was carved out from a solid block of aluminum. It's very rigid and the fit and finish is way better than any recent Apple laptops.

As for the cons, well that depends. For me, I recently bought an iMac 2.4ghz 24-inch. It is powerful enough to do all my 'heavy lifting'. I use my G4 PowerBook for mobile needs such as surfing, MS Office, some MP3. This is exactly what the MB Air is designed to do.

A MB Air is not for you if it's your only computer. However, if you have a desktop Mac and you just need something for on the road use, you won't find a better Mac. It's light enough to REALLY make a difference. As for not having a replacement battery, well, yes that sucks. But then again, I never got to keeping a spare charged battery any way.

I expect to buy one in the very near future. It's not right for everyone, so make sure you know what you want from a laptop first.
      02-09-2008, 05:28 PM   #11
ejazbmw
blahhh
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235I

theres no cd drive thats pretty retarded that you have to carry around some portable one..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2008, 05:41 PM   #12
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 i3 X3

Hell I dunno, I don't even need or want a super thin Laptop, and I really want one... Go figure...
      02-09-2008, 06:33 PM   #13
sinnet112
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E89 Z4

Garage List
That's the thing, you can have all your gripes about it, but there's a reason why groups and masses of people are huddled around the MBAs at the Apple Stores.

It really comes down to the fact that once you look at it in person and once you hold it, you'll realize you want one.

Z4 sdrive30i | Deep Sea Blue | Ivory White Nappa Extended Leather | ZSP
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2008, 06:40 PM   #14
imolazhp_ci
Major
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnet112 View Post
That's the thing, you can have all your gripes about it, but there's a reason why groups and masses of people are huddled around the MBAs at the Apple Stores.

It really comes down to the fact that once you look at it in person and once you hold it, you'll realize you want one.
not really. i was at the apple store and they had 4 of them i went and looked at it and the apple guy walks up to me and was all cocky and was like "so are you in love yet?" and i was like "not really... if it was the same price that it is but it had identical specs to a BlackBook i would buy one right now. but in its current state it's entirely useless." and he just walked away. it looks FUCKING cool, i'll give it that. but seriously beyond typing things on word, it's useless.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2008, 06:55 PM   #15
OverDrive
CHEAT TO WIN!!
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, 718 GT4

Apple is just trying to push it and push it and push it 'till they go out of business. Look at how many different products they have out there. I'd rather have just one moderate iPod and listen to my music instead having to select from 20 different iPods. Its ridiculous.
________
Wholesale vaporizers
________
VOLCANO DIGITAL
________
EXPERT INSURANCE
________
Ipad Cases

Last edited by OverDrive; 04-14-2011 at 09:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2008, 07:06 PM   #16
imolazhp_ci
Major
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverDrive View Post
Apple is just trying to push it and push it and push it 'till they go out of business. Look at how many different products they have out there. I'd rather have just one moderate iPod and listen to my music instead having to select from 20 different iPods. Its ridiculous.
i disagree on that note. my sister couldn't possibly have more than 2 gb of music. so a nano is perfect for her. me on the other hand, i have 125 GB of music plus TV shows and movies so my 160GB classic is filled to like 145GB. people have different needs. i also have a shuffle for riding my bike and the gym. i mean, i have a 24 inch 2.8 Core2E iMac, a MacBook, an AppleTV, an iPhone, a 160GB iPod Classic, and an iPod Shuffle. every one serves their own individual purpose and whether for entertainment value or organization serve function beautifully.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2008, 08:58 PM   #17
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM E92 335i, AM E90 335i

Garage List
i'd rather get the regular macbook, its way lighter than my 15" MBP.. the air is a waste... unless you got money to burn that is...
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2008, 09:37 PM   #18
Nyulak
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i

Garage List
2009 BMW 535xi  [10.00]
I don't mind the form factor or 'missing' items. I understand the wireless concept, but it's not groundbreaking to put less things into a smaller package. It's only a phenomenal engineering feat to keep everything that the MacBook has but in a form factor that's almost half as thick. Since this isn't the case, the price of the MBAir is exorbitant.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2008, 09:40 PM   #19
Alchem
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi

As a college student its perfect for me. Backpacks get heavy when you start adding the laptops and books.

Again this is not going to be my main computer. This is just for school. Also my current laptop has a DVD drive that hasn't been used in months.

Only draw back is I wish they could have fitted a bigger HDD. Like the 160GB from the ipod. Although I know its impossible since the 160GB in ipod is bigger and won't fit.

I am waiting till Feburary 26th to buy one tho. Cuz I heard apple might update Macbook Pros then. IF they make MBP a little lighter and cheaper. I may spring for that instead of the air.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2008, 09:41 PM   #20
Alchem
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdflkijd View Post
i'd rather get the regular macbook, its way lighter than my 15" MBP.. the air is a waste... unless you got money to burn that is...
r u kidding me? the Macbook weighs almost the same as a MBP
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2008, 09:42 PM   #21
Nyulak
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i

Garage List
2009 BMW 535xi  [10.00]
The difference in price of a MBAir versus a regular MB will get you a nice gym membership. Then you can be fit and more easily carry your stuff around campus.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2008, 11:16 PM   #22
DasBlitz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 328i 07

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchem View Post
As a college student its perfect for me. Backpacks get heavy when you start adding the laptops and books.

Again this is not going to be my main computer. This is just for school. Also my current laptop has a DVD drive that hasn't been used in months.

Only draw back is I wish they could have fitted a bigger HDD. Like the 160GB from the ipod. Although I know its impossible since the 160GB in ipod is bigger and won't fit.

I am waiting till Feburary 26th to buy one tho. Cuz I heard apple might update Macbook Pros then. IF they make MBP a little lighter and cheaper. I may spring for that instead of the air.
Quit making up excuses for your need for a completely useless laptop.

I know a ton of kids will be interested in this in Boston and a few will get it saying its so light and nice its way worth it. Fuck no it isnt in college you need everything in your laptop. And its not much lighter than my girlfriends macbook.

This is the macbook for snobs, plain and simple.