BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

03-09-2010, 12:54 AM   #45
M3 vert
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F10 M5, E93 M3, '12 750ix

So I think these two mods together will be the best bang for the buck for a stock M from dinan, in terms of performance.

With combined gains of 20hp and 15lbft torque!

http://www.dinancars.com/store/produ...cat=818&page=1

I think these together would be just under the $2K mark

Thats reasonable for 20hp, proven on dynos from Dinan
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 01:43 AM   #46
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 M3

^^
in my op the midpipe is the most power for buck. when i put that on i was like WOW.

it would be a little more then what you posted bc you would need the matching software but it will produce some awesome gains

i just have my Dinan Diff to put in now and then i am done. will get the Dinan stage 1 or 2 susp in the spring when i put on my summer wheels/tires. i have read great feedback on the Dinan susp for these cars.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 01:21 PM   #47
BaLLzZz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 vert View Post
So I think these two mods together will be the best bang for the buck for a stock M from dinan, in terms of performance.

With combined gains of 20hp and 15lbft torque!

I think these together would be just under the $2K mark

Thats reasonable for 20hp, proven on dynos from Dinan
You are forgetting to factor in labor. When buying Dinan parts you must pay BMW "rate" labor fees. And each part is listed for an hourly labor time for install. So 2k for parts plus probably at least 500-1k in labor. So call it 3k after labor.

I also have to agree the midpipe alone is going to net you the must hp/$ combo.

01 e46 m54 - Current : 14 f10 n26 - Boring & Gone : 15 f30 n26 - Current : 08 e92 n54 - Gone & Missed!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 12:06 PM   #48
isugoo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaLLzZz View Post
You are forgetting to factor in labor. When buying Dinan parts you must pay BMW "rate" labor fees. And each part is listed for an hourly labor time for install. So 2k for parts plus probably at least 500-1k in labor. So call it 3k after labor.

I have Dinan parts in my E90M3 but didn't use BMW to install. My Dinan Stage III E46M3 was the same. As long as all the parts are installed properly, they warranty their products.

PAST: F80 M3 ZCP | 911.1 C2S | F10 M5 ZCP | E70 X5M | E90 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 12:16 PM   #49
AMPowerJ
One mod leads to another ...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by isugoo View Post
I have Dinan parts in my E90M3 but didn't use BMW to install. My Dinan Stage III E46M3 was the same. As long as all the parts are installed properly, they warranty their products.
+1

Current: 2014 F10 M5
Previous: 2015 F80 M3, 2013 E92 M3, 2013 F10 M5, 2009 E90 M3, 1998 E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 01:26 PM   #50
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

thats why i found a Dinan indy to go to. they are ten times better then the dealer and a real race shop and i get cheaper rates per hour then a BMW dealer

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 02:26 PM   #51
BaLLzZz
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Bomb View Post
thats why i found a Dinan indy to go to. they are ten times better then the dealer and a real race shop and i get cheaper rates per hour then a BMW dealer
Seems like the best bet. Other then having a good rapport with your servicing dealer. If the price isn't significantly different I personally would spend the couple of extra bucks at the dealer. So when you do have a problem they can be somewhat accommodating since u spent all your aftermarket money there. Just a theory in my head I may be 100% wrong but in the world of business one hand washes the other if you deal with the right people.

01 e46 m54 - Current : 14 f10 n26 - Boring & Gone : 15 f30 n26 - Current : 08 e92 n54 - Gone & Missed!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 03:04 PM   #52
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

i have a great relationship with my SA at the dealer i use. there not a dinan dealer and after i used the Dinan indy few years back i realized the techs there were alot better then at any of the BMW centers i used.

i only go to BMW for warranty work but i still take care of my SA so he always takes care of me.

works good for me the setup i have. i do agree with what your saying though for someone else

Quote:
Seems like the best bet. Other then having a good rapport with your servicing dealer. If the price isn't significantly different I personally would spend the couple of extra bucks at the dealer. So when you do have a problem they can be somewhat accommodating since u spent all your aftermarket money there. Just a theory in my head I may be 100% wrong but in the world of business one hand washes the other if you deal with the right people.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2010, 03:55 PM   #53
isugoo
Major General
United_States
Rep

H Bomb, You forgot to evaluate their package:

From H Bomb's Review:
fit and finish- 10
ease of install- 8
power- 8

But if I add one more:
Packaging: 6.
It came in safe, no damage but I was shocked when I saw the pulley wrapped in paper towels inside of those brown package paper.

Anyway just picked up mine. Can't wait to get it installed!
Hoping to get a mid pipe / Stage II software as well.

H Bomb, if you don't mind, can you pm me your feedback before/after Dinan mid-pipe?
(AKA. convince me)

Last edited by isugoo; 03-12-2010 at 02:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2010, 12:22 AM   #54
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

lol no shit, i didn't get to see my box as my Dinan tech had it out on his work table inspecting it for the install as i was late getting there. he is anal like that checks everything for 10min bf he puts it on lol. i wonder if mine came like that

def don't mind giving you feedback as that was the hands down best thing i have done to the car and is my favorite mod (as you can't tell) here is couple sound clips. sounds so much better in person though

(oldy but goody)
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2010, 08:30 AM   #55
A1 RDL
www.ryandalziel.com
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 JB E92 M3

Installing my DINAN Pulley, Mid-pipe and Mufflers this afternoon. Mostly looking forward to hearing the Mid-pipe/Mufflers. I am told YouTube does there system no justice. I will chime in with my own review when I get home tonight.

I agree about the interesting choice of packaging from DINAN but I was really impressed with the quality/machining of the Pulley.

The best part of my Boxes of goodies was getting my DINAN badge. Unfortunately they only come in Chrome and my car is blacked out (M3 badge included) so going to have to paint it at some point before getting it put on.

And before I get attacked by the DINAN haters, I am proud to sport their Badge on my car.......
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2010, 12:24 PM   #56
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

^^

congrats, yeah i wish you could see the pulley as it is machined really nice with the engraving and all. belt is tight but it will go on

Youtube really does no justice for the sound of the midpipe muffler combo, and i have yet to hear a camera setup that has given it justice. it sounds so much better in person.

you are getting the matching software for the midpipe right??
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2010, 12:37 PM   #57
SpencerM3
Sauce
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 SSII E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1 RDL View Post
Installing my DINAN Pulley, Mid-pipe and Mufflers this afternoon. Mostly looking forward to hearing the Mid-pipe/Mufflers. I am told YouTube does there system no justice. I will chime in with my own review when I get home tonight.

I agree about the interesting choice of packaging from DINAN but I was really impressed with the quality/machining of the Pulley.

The best part of my Boxes of goodies was getting my DINAN badge. Unfortunately they only come in Chrome and my car is blacked out (M3 badge included) so going to have to paint it at some point before getting it put on.

And before I get attacked by the DINAN haters, I am proud to sport their Badge on my car.......
Wrap it in matte black. Paint doesn't stick to chrome well.
2009 E90 M3 | Silverstone II | Black Novillo | HRE P40's | Akrapovic Exhaust | Eibach Pro Kit | Jet Black Kidney Grilles | SSII Side Reflectors | SSII Side Gills | LUX H8 Angel Eyes | Macht Schnell Filter | Tecnocraft Envy Charge Pipe

"M3 drivers have no friends." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2010, 12:40 PM   #58
SoreHead
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 coupe - Manual

Garage List
2009 E92  [0.00]
I find it hard to believe that you will feel 11bhp and 9lb/ft of torque in a car that has 414bhp and 295lb/ft of torque. I suspect some of it is perception as you've just done the mod. Even if it improved the torque spread so as to fill in holes down low it's still too small an increase to be remotely noticeable IMHO.

A bit like the loud exhaust making the car faster syndrome when in actuality less back pressure is more likely to reduce power on an NA car than increase it but the noise gives the driver the impression of more speed. Has anyone got a before/after dyno run on their own car to show the true gains?

How long did install take?

I searched this thread to find out peoples opinions on the mod but I was seeing it as part of a combination to add maybe 40-50bhp which I figure is where you should start to really notice a difference if done all at once.

P.S.
Why do people here have anything against Dinan? The dealership I bought the car from made calls for me to get Dinan pricing when I said I would like some more power. Apparently they put lots of people on to Dinan.

Last edited by SoreHead; 03-12-2010 at 12:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2010, 01:28 PM   #59
BaLLzZz
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoreHead View Post
I find it hard to believe that you will feel 11bhp and 9lb/ft of torque in a car that has 414bhp and 295lb/ft of torque. I suspect some of it is perception as you've just done the mod. Even if it improved the torque spread so as to fill in holes down low it's still too small an increase to be remotely noticeable IMHO.

A bit like the loud exhaust making the car faster syndrome when in actuality less back pressure is more likely to reduce power on an NA car than increase it but the noise gives the driver the impression of more speed. Has anyone got a before/after dyno run on their own car to show the true gains?

How long did install take?

I searched this thread to find out peoples opinions on the mod but I was seeing it as part of a combination to add maybe 40-50bhp which I figure is where you should start to really notice a difference if done all at once.

P.S.
Why do people here have anything against Dinan? The dealership I bought the car from made calls for me to get Dinan pricing when I said I would like some more power. Apparently they put lots of people on to Dinan.
I assume you are talking about JUST the pulley in regards to the OP. Because the previous poster is installing a puley,midpipes,cans and midpipe software. He should gain 40hp easy crank obviously. To bring the car right around 450-460hp. If he adds 3.62 gears in there his tq will be raised dramatically.

Appreciate 0
      03-13-2010, 01:13 PM   #60
A1 RDL
www.ryandalziel.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Bomb View Post
^^

congrats, yeah i wish you could see the pulley as it is machined really nice with the engraving and all. belt is tight but it will go on

Youtube really does no justice for the sound of the midpipe muffler combo, and i have yet to hear a camera setup that has given it justice. it sounds so much better in person.

you are getting the matching software for the midpipe right??
Hey H Bomb,

I already have the stage 2 softwear and DINAN intake. I had stage 2 installed as i was waiting on my mid-pipe
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2010, 03:40 PM   #61
A1 RDL
www.ryandalziel.com
United_States
Rep

Ok mid-pipe and Mufflers were installed yesterday. Didnt get around to the Pulley. Have to book it back in next week so cant comment on that. As mentioned above its hard to feel the gains made by just a pulley. Had one on my M6 and all i got was heavier steering. But knowing there is more power always makes you feel good. Its not guess work that it makes gains, its fact. Whether its 1HP or 100HP its a gain over not having that piece.

On the Mid-Pipe/Muffler combination (i know i am thread stealing here), I have to say I was and still am speechless about the new exhaust note of the car. DINAN have worked magic with balancing daily driving noise when driving at city speeds and highway cruising (no drone), to scaring the grime reaper himself when on full throttle. I cant say enough about the transformation of the note and more impressively the torque increase. Very much a noticeable power jump and major thumbs up to DINAN for this combo.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2010, 03:47 PM   #62
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

^^
told you would love it. yeah videos do know justice how sick it sounds in real life. wait till you get some miles on it, it sounds even better. gald you got the matching software for it.

as for the pulley you shouldn't feel any stiffer steering on this one. i haven't really notice that. although i didn't really do specific steering tests with it stock like the parallel parking etc so it could have been lighter prior but i didn't notice

enjoy bro
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2010, 03:54 PM   #63
Sales@Evolve
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1 RDL View Post
Ok mid-pipe and Mufflers were installed yesterday. Didnt get around to the Pulley. Have to book it back in next week so cant comment on that. As mentioned above its hard to feel the gains made by just a pulley. Had one on my M6 and all i got was heavier steering. But knowing there is more power always makes you feel good. Its not guess work that it makes gains, its fact. Whether its 1HP or 100HP its a gain over not having that piece.

On the Mid-Pipe/Muffler combination (i know i am thread stealing here), I have to say I was and still am speechless about the new exhaust note of the car. DINAN have worked magic with balancing daily driving noise when driving at city speeds and highway cruising (no drone), to scaring the grime reaper himself when on full throttle. I cant say enough about the transformation of the note and more impressively the torque increase. Very much a noticeable power jump and major thumbs up to DINAN for this combo.
I was waiting for your response on this!

I did not expect anything less as you can stick on pretty much any of the high quality mid pipes + Rear Exhaust (Akrapovic, Active Autowerke, etc etc) and they will all make around the same extra power right through the rpm range.

Typical gains are +25bhp and +25 lb.ft eveywhere above 2000rpm.

Good to hear that the Dinan exhaust has the qualities of being quiet when it needs to be. A clear sign it's been acoustically designed for a purpose. Same as the Akrapovic system.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2010, 06:25 PM   #64
isugoo
Major General
United_States
Rep

Got Dinan mid-pipe installed last Sat.
1. Sound: amazing. Really the Youtube can't justify at all. Idle sounds so loud and mean but cruising tone is very slightly louder than stock so it doesn't bother me. And when I push, it's straight mean but nice deep tone. Then after 6k, sounds dramatically changed to even more deeper, nicer tone.

2. Power: it's everywhere. After 1.5-2k RPM, it picks up and pulls hard all the way to 8500 rpm (aka. till I shift). It feels like my M lost about 200 pounds of weight.

3. Built quality: Simply amazing.

4. Fitment: Because they only made one mid-pipe for both coupe/convertible and sedan, the pipe is actually about 1" longer than the stock, fits well but the tips are sticking out slightly more than with stock pipe. It's now flushed with bumper line (when you look straight from the side).

5. Smell: Bad. I never owned any car with high flow or no cat exhaust system. It smells bad. My cousin has HKS catless titanium header back Evo IX MR but man, M3 smells so much worse than catless Evo IX.

Overall, I'm happy with it except the smell.

Appreciate 0
      03-22-2010, 07:48 PM   #65
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

i'm suprised the smell is bad on yours. i only really smell mine at idle after running hard and coming to a stop. maybe i am not sensitive to it
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2010, 06:37 AM   #66
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
Main reason I went HFC with Gintani is because of smell. I just couldn't bear it when my windows are down and I'm at a stop light, which is quite often.

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0