BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

European Auto Source (EAS)

06-13-2013, 01:09 AM   #1
JMX328
Insert Something Witty.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i

Calling North Carolinians/Charlotteans

So I've been given the option of relocating with my current employer, for a much better gig, to North Carolina - specifically, Charlotte.

I've been there several times on business, but never longer than a week.

Anywho, I wanted to get some input on the area - what areas should I look at in terms of buying?

If I take the gig, I'd be working Uptown. I don't mind a commute (I currently commute 18 miles each way), but I'd prefer to be a bit closer to the office.

So... ideas/suggestions? Your input and time is much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 06:15 AM   #2
Foxrus14
1 SLY 1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i work car...

Charlotte is great... Has everything you want in a major city except Traffic. My Fiance and I live about 10 miles south of the city in Carmel/South Park area. Very affluent and great getting into the city and out of the city. I am guessing you would be working for Wells coming from Cali. I assure you, you will not regret the move. If you are buying, you want to buy inside the 485 loop and south of the city... better infrastructure hospitals and schools. MY fiance is a Physician and just about all of her partners are living in the same area for commuting reasons.
Are you married or Single? Age? etc.. I will be able to let you know a little more detail and hook you up with the best realtor I have ever met.

Russ
2014 Harley Davidson Street Glide Special - Mine
2014 Harley Davidson Breakout - Wifey
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 06:48 AM   #3
fireline43
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 Mercedes C250

Charlotte is a great place to live from what everyone tells me. there is a ghetto area i've heard about, but mostly sounds nice.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 07:22 AM   #4
lsmkr01
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Charlotte is a great city with genuinely nice people (southern hospitality is real) and lots to do. Consider living in Rock Hill, SC as that area is very nice too and on the right side of the state line. Its cheaper to live in SC (cost of living, property taxes etc) and there are no car inspections let alone emissions tests. Either way a move from CA to the Carolina's is a good one for many reasons
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 07:51 AM   #5
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
I enjoy the Carolinas. Right in the middle of everything on the East Coast IMO. That's why I bought a house out here. I don't live too close to Charlotte though, I live closer to Raleigh.
      06-13-2013, 10:29 AM   #6
intensee92
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Your Girl Crazy.

Foxrus14 is right. You want to stay south of Uptown for a nicer area of the city. Also, we have a light rail so you can stay close to there so that way you wouldn't even have to drive into Uptown since that's where you will be working. I currently stay in Southend, 5 minutes south from Uptown. Its a great place to stay.

NoDa is an artsy hipster-ish area if that's what youre into. North Charlotte is also a great place to stay as well... it's about a 20 minute commute depending on traffic.
      06-13-2013, 10:40 AM   #7
PSUSMU
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S

NC = "the south"
I live in DC and it's already south enough.
      06-13-2013, 10:29 PM   #8
JMX328
Insert Something Witty.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxrus14 View Post
Charlotte is great... Has everything you want in a major city except Traffic. My Fiance and I live about 10 miles south of the city in Carmel/South Park area. Very affluent and great getting into the city and out of the city. I am guessing you would be working for Wells coming from Cali. I assure you, you will not regret the move. If you are buying, you want to buy inside the 485 loop and south of the city... better infrastructure hospitals and schools. MY fiance is a Physician and just about all of her partners are living in the same area for commuting reasons.
Are you married or Single? Age? etc.. I will be able to let you know a little more detail and hook you up with the best realtor I have ever met.

Russ
Nah, not Wells. B of A. We're larger than Wells on both coasts.

And I've spent some time in the city and surrounding areas - it's a very nice area. And I'll remember that - inside the 485 loop and South of the city.

I'm in a long term relationship, and the girlfriend is likely to move with me. No kids at time present - at least that I'm aware of!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUSMU View Post
NC = "the south"
I live in DC and it's already south enough.
A quarter of my direct family comes from the South, so I don't really have an issue with it, lol.

And thanks everyone. I will take the information and see what I can make of it in terms of being out in California right now.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 10:57 PM   #9
Digital.James
Colonel
Rep
Drives: GT4, Raptor.2, Tuono 1100F

I'm from Cali and living in NC now. Just some candid observations. Good place to live if you can put up with the downsides. You can buy a pretty nice place for peanuts compared to Cali

pros: lack of traffic, cost of living and low property taxes, weather, good beer culture, southern food and bbq, great outdoor activities

cons: trailer parks galore, southern people can be ghetto, lack of good restaurants and lots chain food stores, lack of cultural activities
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2013, 09:18 AM   #10
Ounce
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silver 2014 VW Jetta GLI

Charlotte native here, pretty cool to see how much things have grown. If I had a nickel for every person I met who was new to town, I could buy a nice steak dinner. The cities definitely still growing (after a bit of stagnation during the economic downturn) and seems to be a hot spot for those looking for a change of scenery.

If you have any specific questions I'm glad to help out. The advice thus far is pretty solid so far regarding where to live. I personally like South-End and Dilworth as they're very close to uptown and have a solid amount of local flavor (aka bars & restaurants that aren't chains).
      06-14-2013, 11:24 AM   #11
PSUSMU
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital.James View Post
cons: trailer parks galore, southern people can be ghetto, lack of good restaurants and lots chain food stores, lack of cultural activities
Exactly why the south makes me feel sick to my stomach..