BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

05-15-2010, 01:29 PM   #1
AWD Esq.
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Leather Seat Care

I am awaiting delivery of my 2011 M3 and I am starting to get concerned about the complaints of early wear/scratching of the leather (Novillo) seats. I never found the dakota leather in my 335 comfortable but they were durable. Any advice on what proactive measures can been taken other than the obvious (jean buttons ect.). Can you over condition the leather? What are the best products to use...I am hearing that Zaino's is the best.

Any advice is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2010, 04:04 PM   #2
quackman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 6mt

My favorite leather cleaner/conditioner has always been Meguiar's Spray cleaner/conditioner. very quick and easy to use.... I've never had any problems with over-conditioning.
      05-15-2010, 04:30 PM   #3
ss134
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Esq. View Post
I am awaiting delivery of my 2011 M3 and I am starting to get concerned about the complaints of early wear/scratching of the leather (Novillo) seats. I never found the dakota leather in my 335 comfortable but they were durable. Any advice on what proactive measures can been taken other than the obvious (jean buttons ect.). Can you over condition the leather? What are the best products to use...I am hearing that Zaino's is the best.

Any advice is appreciated.
Keep some meguiars leather wipes (contains conditioner as well) in the car, these are great when you notice your leather needs cleaning but you are short on time. I would recommend leather master products for maintaing the leather - every 3 months or so ( with the wipes used in between )
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-15-2010, 05:09 PM   #4
Griz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

The wipes are good to have around; they're quick and easy. However, as often as every 4 months (depending on the wear you put on the seats), you'll want to use a proper conditioner+cleaner system (e.g., Leatherique, Leather Master Products).

Also, every time you wash the car, wipe down the leather (at least the driver's seat and steering wheel) with a lightly damp microfiber. This helps to remove the dirt that you track into the car, the dirt that turns your clothes into sandpaper when shifting around.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2010, 04:32 PM   #5
Hoo
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Blue e92 zcp 6mt

I, too, am concerned about

premature wear on this very soft delicate feeling leather. I had issues with my e46 M3 drivers' bolster cracking and splitting in spite of using Lexol and trying to be careful on ingress and egress. I bought a Leatherique Kit and plan to use it--but is there any point doing it initially--should I wait a couple of months before I treat the seats?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2010, 08:13 PM   #6
deamon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3

Had the same problem on the e46 m3's. I tried my best to maintain it but i guess it may be due to the poor quality of the leather. I now use bmw's leather cleaner and conditioner on my e93. Use it 3 times a year, seems to be working very well.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2010, 09:48 PM   #7
Hawk Lax
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 AW Coupe

Leather Master is awesome stuff use their trio of cleaner, vital, and protectant
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2010, 12:31 AM   #8
duk
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW/FR 6MT E92

just ordered leather masters trio from detailers domain!
      07-25-2010, 01:24 AM   #9
808elise
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: CB E46 and SG E92 M3s

Garage List
Go with Smart Leather!!! Awsome cleaning power (spread product and wait for dirt to rise to the top) and gives a non greasy slickness to the seats. Also has a new car smell.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2010, 05:41 PM   #10
BIMMERENTHUSIAST
Rep
Drives: 2006 E46 M3

I use meguiares 3 times a week and it removes some wrinkles leaving a nice shine and smooth surface.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 06:55 AM   #11
Slpnbyu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2023 BMW X3MC  [0.00]
2020 M2 CS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMMERENTHUSIAST View Post
I use meguiares 3 times a week and it removes some wrinkles leaving a nice shine and smooth surface.
Do the Meguiar's wipes leave a shine?

The OEM finish is not shinny. I would like a quick wipe product that cleans, but does not affect the finish.
/// '04 E46 M3 : Mystic Blue/Black /// SOLD
/// '00 E46 323Ci : Titanium Silver/Grey /// SOLD
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 08:40 AM   #12
alpineweissM3
I love my beautiful wife!
Rep
Drives: e90 ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMMERENTHUSIAST View Post
Conditioning 3 times a week is way too much!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2010, 10:48 PM   #13
masnmic
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Turtle Wax ICE Cleaner Conditioner. Smells clean and does not leave greasy residue.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 10:40 AM   #14
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BSM/SO M3

I'm about to order Pinnacle Leather Conditioner. Has anyone ever used it?

I'm looking for something with strong UV protection.
Its a bit steep at 35 bucks though.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 10:53 AM   #15
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slpnbyu View Post
Do the Meguiar's wipes leave a shine?

The OEM finish is not shinny. I would like a quick wipe product that cleans, but does not affect the finish.
Use the OEM Leather cleaner/comnditioner... to be honest, BMW really have some really great cleaning products. Both their OEM leather and wheel cleaner are the best products that I have used.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 01:10 PM   #16
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Use the OEM Leather cleaner/comnditioner... to be honest, BMW really have some really great cleaning products. Both their OEM leather and wheel cleaner are the best products that I have used.
+1, love the stuff.
      08-10-2010, 04:00 PM   #17
DP8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3

I just used Leatherique (both the rejuvenator and pristine clean) for the first time this past weekend. It definitely takes time and for best results you need to let the rejuvenator sit for a day before cleaning it up with pristine clean. It feels a little greasy at first since your putting oils back into the leather but after a couple hours it feels like it brand new again. Nice and soft with a matte finish.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 07:40 PM   #18
哇靠M3
Captain
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLin17 View Post
I just used Leatherique (both the rejuvenator and pristine clean) for the first time this past weekend. It definitely takes time and for best results you need to let the rejuvenator sit for a day before cleaning it up with pristine clean. It feels a little greasy at first since your putting oils back into the leather but after a couple hours it feels like it brand new again. Nice and soft with a matte finish.
I wanted to try out this LEatherique thing, but it's way to much hassle. i think i'll just use some conditioner to get the leather back into shape
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 01:37 PM   #19
skywalker562
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 AW M3 E93 6MT

hi folks, i have some questions regarding leather cleaner.
i have BMW leather care kits that i purchased from BMW dealer. it worked great on my E93 M3. however, i noticed that the leather wasn't soft as before. when i purchased the car, it was very soft. and i thgouth if i maintain / clean the leather using BMW product, it maintain softness.
any suggestions?
and i want to know if Range Rover uses the same leather as BMW. i heard that all leathers are different and need different care. how do you know if i can use the same cleaner?
Thank you in advance.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 02:32 PM   #20
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: beater;)

I hate to be the one to bring in bad news, but most leather care products you'll find locally are actually bad for your leather as they leave residue that attracts dirt and causes the urethane finish on your OEM leather to wear out faster.

The only two brands I trust are Leatherique and Leather Master (...well... and LTT for you guys in Europe). Use their products as directed and you'll be fine. Your leather has a urethane coating on it, so there's nothing to "treat" just as you don't treat your paint; you protect the clear-coat which is protecting the paint. You simply need to keep the finish clean and free of dirt and debris that will wear out the coating.

I don't trust the BMW branded leather care products simply because I know nothing about them. How are they formulated and for what purposes? Are they being made by leather companies, or are they made to help dealerships sell products that customer's are interested in buying?

For the cost of purchasing multiple cheap products that don't work, you could easily have top-notch products that are professionally proven and will work perfectly. Make the right choice the first time and your leather will look better for longer.

5 and a half year old S2000 seats with 70k miles traveled on them after treated with Leatherique:

2001 Lincoln Continental half way done with a Leatherique treatment:

Red leather seat of a BMW 135i before cleaning:

After Leather Master Strong Cleaner and Protection Cream:

Leather in this '97 NSX cleaned and protected with Leather Master Strong Cleaner + Protection Cream, other hard surfaces cleaned and protected with 1Z Cockpit Premium:

The right products and technique are well worth the investment and time.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2010, 09:50 AM   #21
skywalker562
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 AW M3 E93 6MT

nice S200 seats.
Thank you Muttgrunt for valuable information. i guess i'll use BMW leather cleaner for my leased X5 =)
i heard about Leatherique and Leather Master a lot.
i have a simple maybe stupid question. but i have to ask. how do you know if your leather seats have urethane coating? all car leathers have coating? Thank you.

i've washed my cars (including my family) for long time. i used meguiars leather care (spray) the whole time. my oldest car (~12 years and have 170k miles) leather cracked. not much but some places where get hit the most. that's why i am looking for better leather care kit. Thank you so much for your help!
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2010, 10:53 AM   #22
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: beater;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalker562 View Post
nice S200 seats.
Thank you Muttgrunt for valuable information. i guess i'll use BMW leather cleaner for my leased X5 =)
i heard about Leatherique and Leather Master a lot.
i have a simple maybe stupid question. but i have to ask. how do you know if your leather seats have urethane coating? all car leathers have coating? Thank you.

i've washed my cars (including my family) for long time. i used meguiars leather care (spray) the whole time. my oldest car (~12 years and have 170k miles) leather cracked. not much but some places where get hit the most. that's why i am looking for better leather care kit. Thank you so much for your help!

Thanks - the S2k seat are mine
Nearly all leather in cars is coated. Think of the softest leather products you (or your S.O.) might own. If you lightly scratch one with a finger nail and it turns color (from brown to a very light brown for example) then it's a sign that the leather is not coated. Of all the things my g/f and I have, only my brown leather Clark's Wallabees are uncoated.
Wear is going to happen if you use the seats, especially in areas like the side bolsters that take on a lot of friction with getting in and out of the vehicle. Keeping the surface clean is the best thing you can do to prolong the life of the material.

Most leather care products give the user exactly what they think they're supposed to have: the feeling that you put something good on your leather (even though you haven't), a softer feel, a uniform darker color, and a smoother surface. To use them is more like being a construction worker that comes home to not take a shower... but rather puts on a ton of lotion over his dirty skin. Even worse; you're leather isn't continually growing and shedding like your skin is, so to treat your leather in this manner is even worse.
Appreciate 0