BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-15-2009, 08:46 AM   #397
ScotyH
Bimmer me up
 
Drives: 08 M3, 2010 GTR
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Edmonton,AB

Posts: 341
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takumi587 View Post
obsurd is spelled absurd

Anyways, has the OP decided yet on what car to pick?
Yes, I have both now.

Just wasn't sure if I should get the GTR at first. After the test drive though, my mind was made up. GTR is a beast.
ScotyH is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-15-2009, 12:13 PM   #398
SHOWTIME
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 335i Coupe M-Sport
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Westchester, NY

Posts: 587
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokes View Post
this is true. heres a link about their warranty
http://jalopnik.com/5201918/2010-gt+...black-box-data

why not to buy
-price
-maintenance
-easily voided warranty- no LC,track, dyno,
-black box-records all data-so they will know when you're racing,lc, or anything -not allowing them to access to box=loss of warranty
-some people tried launch control and blew the tranny=voided warranty+new tranny=20k
-basically its a beast on a leash and driving it will cause you to lose your warranty. lol

besides. doesnt seem like it would work well as an everyday car, but i guess it doesnt work well on the track either with the possibility of blowing your tranny so easily.
"Racing, competitive driving of any sort and/or any use on a track or airstrip, or otherwise not operating or maintaining the vehicle as set out in the Owner's Manual and Service and Maintenance Guide;"

Am I reading this wrong or is this pretty much telling me that even if I do a drift on a regular street and my rear axle snaps, then there is no warranty? or while I'm fully accelerating form light to light and my engine blows up, warranty is voided?

Aside from all this, not to be able to use it on a track? Are they stupid?? What pieces of shits!!
SHOWTIME is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-15-2009, 03:03 PM   #399
ScotyH
Bimmer me up
 
Drives: 08 M3, 2010 GTR
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Edmonton,AB

Posts: 341
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOWTIME View Post
"Racing, competitive driving of any sort and/or any use on a track or airstrip, or otherwise not operating or maintaining the vehicle as set out in the Owner's Manual and Service and Maintenance Guide;"

Am I reading this wrong or is this pretty much telling me that even if I do a drift on a regular street and my rear axle snaps, then there is no warranty? or while I'm fully accelerating form light to light and my engine blows up, warranty is voided?

Aside from all this, not to be able to use it on a track? Are they stupid?? What pieces of shits!!
Yes, clearly they are garbage.
ScotyH is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-15-2009, 04:44 PM   #400
Vic55
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Vic55's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 458 Italia Pizza Pie
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: THE Orange County

Posts: 1,988
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotyH View Post
Yes, clearly they are garbage.



I think I better turn my car in before it breaks down.
__________________
2015 Jaguar F Type R Coupe Polaris White
2014 Ferrari 458 Italia Rosso Corsa
2014 Audi RS7 Ibis White
2012 Audi R8 V-10 Ibis White
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Vic55 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-15-2009, 05:08 PM   #401
ScotyH
Bimmer me up
 
Drives: 08 M3, 2010 GTR
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Edmonton,AB

Posts: 341
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post


I think I better turn my car in before it breaks down.
I hear ya Vic55. Get in line! Maybe a nice sensible Cobalt is in order?

How do you like your GTR anyway?
ScotyH is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-15-2009, 05:40 PM   #402
michaeldorian
Captain
 
Drives: Beater Nissan Truck
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Seattle, WA

Posts: 964
iTrader: (0)

Trying to convince my wife to get rid of her beloved mini and I'll get her a GT-R so "she" can drive it. I keep telling her it's an auto, but she won't let go of that mini because she thinks it's too cute. She thinks the GT-R looks like an angry robot.

This would solve all of my problems.
__________________
michaeldorian is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-15-2009, 06:32 PM   #403
Vic55
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Vic55's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 458 Italia Pizza Pie
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: THE Orange County

Posts: 1,988
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotyH View Post
I hear ya Vic55. Get in line! Maybe a nice sensible Cobalt is in order?

How do you like your GTR anyway?
I cant stand it. I launch the shit out of it, I modded it to 540 awhp, run it to 180 mph every day and the damn tranny wont break.

I love the car for the purpose it serves; a go fast car that handles great. It is not refined or a daily driver for me but it serves its purpose as I intended it to; an excellent performer that is not civil nor subtle.
__________________
2015 Jaguar F Type R Coupe Polaris White
2014 Ferrari 458 Italia Rosso Corsa
2014 Audi RS7 Ibis White
2012 Audi R8 V-10 Ibis White
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Vic55 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-15-2009, 07:19 PM   #404
ScotyH
Bimmer me up
 
Drives: 08 M3, 2010 GTR
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Edmonton,AB

Posts: 341
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
I cant stand it. I launch the shit out of it, I modded it to 540 awhp, run it to 180 mph every day and the damn tranny wont break.

I love the car for the purpose it serves; a go fast car that handles great. It is not refined or a daily driver for me but it serves its purpose as I intended it to; an excellent performer that is not civil nor subtle.
Mine won't break either.... must have gotten a good one I guess.

What mods do you run? GTR's have got to be THE easiest car on the planet to get more power out of... for a relatively low price too.
ScotyH is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-15-2009, 07:30 PM   #405
Vic55
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Vic55's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 458 Italia Pizza Pie
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: THE Orange County

Posts: 1,988
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotyH View Post
Mine won't break either.... must have gotten a good one I guess.

What mods do you run? GTR's have got to be THE easiest car on the planet to get more power out of... for a relatively low price too.
So true about the power, the delivery to the wheels is amazing not to mention the speeds into, thru, and out of turns... not as involving a car or requiring of human input vs my 997TT but an incredible performer none-the-less.

I have the HKS GT570 kit, full Titek Ti Exhaust, and 800CC injectors. The gains in power are amazing as you said!!!
__________________
2015 Jaguar F Type R Coupe Polaris White
2014 Ferrari 458 Italia Rosso Corsa
2014 Audi RS7 Ibis White
2012 Audi R8 V-10 Ibis White
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Vic55 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-15-2009, 11:40 PM   #406
luckistryke
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: Very very fast
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Pleasanton, SF Bay Area, CA

Posts: 311
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
So true about the power, the delivery to the wheels is amazing not to mention the speeds into, thru, and out of turns... not as involving a car or requiring of human input vs my 997TT but an incredible performer none-the-less.

I have the HKS GT570 kit, full Titek Ti Exhaust, and 800CC injectors. The gains in power are amazing as you said!!!
drove one w/ the full Titek Ti Xhaust 2 weeks ago, 2 words....Crazy Fast. from a dig or on the freeway, this baby get to 130 so superfast. 25hp from the Titek Ti xhaust alone i think.
__________________
luckistryke is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-16-2009, 12:55 AM   #407
michaeldorian
Captain
 
Drives: Beater Nissan Truck
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Seattle, WA

Posts: 964
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckistryke View Post
drove one w/ the full Titek Ti Xhaust 2 weeks ago, 2 words....Crazy Fast. from a dig or on the freeway, this baby get to 130 so superfast. 25hp from the Titek Ti xhaust alone i think.
You guys are really making me crazy. Something about GT-R. It grows on me by the day.
__________________
michaeldorian is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-16-2009, 08:52 AM   #408
ScotyH
Bimmer me up
 
Drives: 08 M3, 2010 GTR
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Edmonton,AB

Posts: 341
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldorian View Post
You guys are really making me crazy. Something about GT-R. It grows on me by the day.
I once felt your pain... I didn't like them when they first came out, now I own one WTF??!

Did we mention that 50-70 hp can be gained with a Cobb tune???

For a thousand bucks!?!!?
ScotyH is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-16-2009, 10:29 AM   #409
Vic55
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Vic55's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 458 Italia Pizza Pie
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: THE Orange County

Posts: 1,988
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldorian View Post
You guys are really making me crazy. Something about GT-R. It grows on me by the day.
The car in stock format is fast but slows down in triple digit speeds. It seems to hit a wall over 120 mph. A few simple mods like: down pipe and as Scott said, a Cobb tune, brings you up to some excellent numbers. The stock mufflers are not all that restrictive; most of the blockage is in the mid pipes and down pipes. Doing those mods really opens up the turbos to breathe.

The sound of the car with the Ti exhaust is not like I have ever heard and quite addicting.
__________________
2015 Jaguar F Type R Coupe Polaris White
2014 Ferrari 458 Italia Rosso Corsa
2014 Audi RS7 Ibis White
2012 Audi R8 V-10 Ibis White
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Vic55 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-16-2009, 07:19 PM   #410
michaeldorian
Captain
 
Drives: Beater Nissan Truck
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Seattle, WA

Posts: 964
iTrader: (0)

http://www.gtr-world.net/en_r35gtr-special/

Here's a great technical overview of the GT-R and all it sub systems. It's a great read for car fans.

Without a doubt, if funds weren't an issue, I would have a GT-R next to my 6MT M3. I think they're great complimenting cars.
__________________
michaeldorian is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-17-2009, 11:14 AM   #411
Optherion
Lieutenant
 
Optherion's Avatar
 
Drives: Prancing Horse
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: SoCal & Vegas

Posts: 471
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotyH View Post
Mine won't break either.... must have gotten a good one I guess.

What mods do you run? GTR's have got to be THE easiest car on the planet to get more power out of... for a relatively low price too.
+1 if you have a GTR you CAN NOT leave it stock. There is just so much potential. In a few years when all the service issues with the dealer and warranty stuff are figured out I might get another 2nd hand. The only reason I got rid of mine is because I was tired of my Nissan dealer screwing me over. The downside really is the Nissan branding. Not the image, but their ethics. Some guys say their dealerships take great care of them, unfortunately im 4 hours from the nearest "honest" Nissan.

I had the Switzer p600 package. Lordy it was fast.
__________________
Current Stable: Some Audi with a V10, Couple of BMW's, one F Car, and one P car. One lonely GT-R with all the Euros.
Optherion is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-17-2009, 11:18 AM   #412
adc
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2009 E90 M3 ED
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: MD/DC

Posts: 4,133
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotyH View Post
I once felt your pain... I didn't like them when they first came out, now I own one WTF??!

Did we mention that 50-70 hp can be gained with a Cobb tune???

For a thousand bucks!?!!?
In the 335i world, you can get about 80 WHP and 100 WTQ for $500!! So a much better value.
adc is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:35 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST