BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

02-04-2014, 08:23 PM   #1
extremelyslow
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 m3

success stories getting dealer to update your Integration level?

I recently bought a used M3, still under factory warranty, from a BMW dealer in a different state. I was talking to my dealer here in my home state about updating the Integration level to current and I'm kind of getting the runaround.. I explained that my car has some glitches when shifting and some bluetooth pairing issues and that I'd read online that these are frequently fixed w/a software (ie, Integration level) update.

Initially they said OK, and that they'd have to wait about a month for the software to come from BMW (Germany? someplace farther...?...).

Then after about a week, I get a call that the manager ran the VIN# and the software IS up to date.. So I explained that the VIN won't tell you that (my understanding..) but that we can figure it out if we scan the FOB.. So I bring it in and, of course, it's 170E, Factory level, 'New Integration Level: True'. The (different) SA this time tells me 'oh yeah, you're way behind, new versions come out quite frequently..'.

So I've asked them (via email, smh..) if I'm still on for my original appointment to update.. No response.. Do they have any motivation to not move me up to the current level? I just spent $50k, seems like they would want to do right by me.. Am I going about this the correct way? On my sales survey, I asked BMW corporate to contact me about the car; wonder if I need to flame the service dept here... would much prefer not to... Maybe an M-rated dealer would help out more (90 mins away.. ughh)?

Much appreciated!!

170E factory integration to current 240E will be a big improvement, no?..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 11:12 PM   #2
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

The motivation is that if something goes wrong, they could be stuck footing the bill on some expensive replacements/repairs. They could also be concerned that one problem gets fixed but two new ones appear. My dealer gave me the same speech.

I don't know why you're wasting your time e-mailing them. Just schedule an appointment for a software update.
      02-05-2014, 06:57 AM   #3
Someone?
Perception is King
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

If you want it done call them and ask for the service Manager, tell him and I'm sure he will get things going.
      02-05-2014, 07:57 AM   #4
Trip3's
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

OR you can find an Indy shop in your area that has Autologic and pay $100. The fact that they told you "they are waiting for the software to come in from Germany" gives you an idea that they are full of it. Is the factory going to mail them a floppy disk?!?!?!?
      02-05-2014, 02:02 PM   #5
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip3's
OR you can find an Indy shop in your area that has Autologic and pay $100. The fact that they told you "they are waiting for the software to come in from Germany" gives you an idea that they are full of it. Is the factory going to mail them a floppy disk?!?!?!?
All of the dealer systems are automatically updated, or updates are sent on DVDs and loaded. There is no need to wait for anything, all of the dealers should have the latest software installed.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 09:19 AM   #6
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

To answer your other question, yes, moving to 240E from 170E should be noticeable. Engine sound changes slightly, cold start is a bit less harsh, and power delivery is improved all-around.
      02-06-2014, 10:25 AM   #7
grantmax
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip3's View Post

Sometimes the smartest move is to play dumb OP.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 07:34 PM   #8
extremelyslow
Rep

Haha, floppy disk.... maybe tele-type

Seems like the original SA I was working with maybe wasn't quite the best...

I called in and kinda repeated my concerns, then I got a call back from the Shop Foreman (great guy..) and he said ya, no problem to bring it in and update the software to see if it helped.

IDK, maybe they thought I was talking about the Software update for the CIC or whatever, but once I talked about the ancient 'Integration Level' that I was on, and that I had had the key queried, the shop foreman seemed to agree that getting up to 240E was a decent idea. He said it could take 30 minutes or 3 hours, depending on where I was coming from..

Fingers crossed for later this week!

Thanks all...
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 08:54 PM   #9
extremelyslow
Rep

Success!!!

Dealer updated me to E89x-13-07-505

I see my 'New Integration Level available' is now "false"

Much smoother gearbox..

Big ups to my dealer.... who shall remain nameless..
Appreciate 0