BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

EXXEL Distributions

07-25-2009, 05:52 AM   #1
jimmylove
Registered
Rep
Drives: E92

New E92 2009 USB help

Hey,
I'm collecting a brand new M3 E92 next week. I have the 6FL cable already and the car is equipped with the USB interface and telematics. I understand it has a 12GB hard drive and wondered if anyone can tell me how to transfer iTunes protected albums to it. If this isn't possible can I transfer unprotected MP3s/AAC to the hard drive?
Appreciate your advice.
James
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2009, 07:55 AM   #2
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmylove View Post
Hey,
I'm collecting a brand new M3 E92 next week. I have the 6FL cable already and the car is equipped with the USB interface and telematics. I understand it has a 12GB hard drive and wondered if anyone can tell me how to transfer iTunes protected albums to it. If this isn't possible can I transfer unprotected MP3s/AAC to the hard drive?
Appreciate your advice.
James
First, the 6FL cable and telematics do not have anything to do with the 12GB HDD, that's the iDrive Navigation.

Does you car have iDrive?

Second, by now you should know that iTunes protected albums/songs can only be saved in the iPod/iPhone, that's the way the iPod/iTunes have worked since inception. And that's the reason iTunes lately is not selling protected songs anymore (at least in the USA), for the unprotected songs to be able to be saved in any other player, memory sticks or burned into CD or DVD.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2009, 07:59 AM   #3
jimmylove
Registered
Rep
Drives: E92

Thanks for the response. Yes it does have iDrive. So I guess I either use my iPod or rip unprotected songs (either from iPod or USB stick) to the hard drive via iDrive. Is that correct?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2009, 08:11 AM   #4
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Thanks for the response. Yes it does have iDrive. So I guess I either use my iPod or rip unprotected songs (either from iPod or USB stick) to the hard drive via iDrive. Is that correct?
This is what BMW says about MP3 players and the HDD:

Quote:
Copying music data from audio devices such as an MP3 players or iPods using the USB connection is possible although not advisable. The folders and file structure of the MP3 player are also copied when copying music files from these devices. In this case, the copied folder names are represented by means of cryptic characters instead of an album title. This makes it virtually impossible to search for a music file.

Note: It is not possible to import music data via the USB-audio interface (SBXHigh) in the center console. The USB audio interface is intended only for the playback of external audio sources.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2009, 07:14 AM   #5
Donbona
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 DCT 2008

Just use a USB stick... simple.

Quote:
Hey,
Appreciate your advice.
James
M3 E93 DCT, Space Grey,BC HB29 Forged Deep Concave Wheels, Ericsson Amuse F/R Bumper, Evolve Full Exhaust System, INTRAX Coilovers, STOPTECH BBK, Performance Steering Wheel,Custom Red/Black Leather Seats,///M3 ||Bimmerpost M3 Car Of The Month May - 2010SOLD
2010 R35 GTR
Appreciate 0