BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

09-04-2012, 02:48 PM   #23
MikeE92M3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROB_S2K View Post
Here is a fix that might interest you. You can T off a connection before the mufflers and weld in a resonator and then weld it shut. It should eliminate almost all of the drone. Since a T connection will not flow much exhaust gas it should not limit flow.

Like this pic. HKS did this to the 350Z

Active Autowerke does something like this don't they? I was thinking of putting in resonators directly behind the mufflers..I have been thinking of taking off the stock resonators past the x pipe, putting in some more piping, and putting the new resonators further back, closer to the mufflers now. Would that make a difference? The setup like the HKS is very intriguing but may cause a headache for the muffler shop? Interesting, nonetheless!
2008 (07/08) E92 M3 BPM Stage II Tuned by Mike Benvo, 6MT, Turner Test Pipes, Magnaflow Custom Catback Exhaust (Magnaflow X Pipe, secondary cat delete, Aero Resonators and Helmholtz Chambers),Vorsteiner CF Lip, Hamann Style CF rear diffuser, CF Rear Decklid Spoiler, BMW Performance Kidney Grills, CF Side Grills, OEM GTS Wheels, K&N Drop-In Filter, GP Thunder 8k Angel Eyes, Painted Reflectors.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 07:10 PM   #24
m3an
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeE92M3 View Post
Active Autowerke does something like this don't they? I was thinking of putting in resonators directly behind the mufflers..I have been thinking of taking off the stock resonators past the x pipe, putting in some more piping, and putting the new resonators further back, closer to the mufflers now. Would that make a difference? The setup like the HKS is very intriguing but may cause a headache for the muffler shop? Interesting, nonetheless!

if you just add another set of resonators it will just deepen the tone. The above HKS setup is Heimholtz chambers. The key is running them like 90 deg off the pipe. You don't even need the full bottle type resonator, a length of 2.5" pipe welded off the side and capped on the end will work just as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 07:25 PM   #25
Its_lobelt
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3an View Post
if you just add another set of resonators it will just deepen the tone. The above HKS setup is Heimholtz chambers. The key is running them like 90 deg off the pipe. You don't even need the full bottle type resonator, a length of 2.5" pipe welded off the side and capped on the end will work just as well.
Yup same idea.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 07:33 PM   #26
MikeE92M3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Hm, I may have to try this. I just ordered a set of Aero AR25 resonators that were 75 bucks shipped from EBAY (cheapest price was 36 each), and I figured if I could replace the OEM ones, It would be worth a shot. Maybe I can reuse the oem ones to make the chambers. I will have to find time to work with my mechanic to discuss this. With the Heimholtz chamber set up, is that possible to do with my mufflers? I know theres a lot of room between the top of the mufflers to the bottom of the trunk.
2008 (07/08) E92 M3 BPM Stage II Tuned by Mike Benvo, 6MT, Turner Test Pipes, Magnaflow Custom Catback Exhaust (Magnaflow X Pipe, secondary cat delete, Aero Resonators and Helmholtz Chambers),Vorsteiner CF Lip, Hamann Style CF rear diffuser, CF Rear Decklid Spoiler, BMW Performance Kidney Grills, CF Side Grills, OEM GTS Wheels, K&N Drop-In Filter, GP Thunder 8k Angel Eyes, Painted Reflectors.

Last edited by MikeE92M3; 09-04-2012 at 07:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 07:40 PM   #27
MikeE92M3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Could I do it like the AA exhaust? Have the pipes come off to the side like this one?

http://i713.photobucket.com/albums/w...varian/aa2.jpg
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 12:44 AM   #28
kwike92
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 CP

i ran these mufflers on my old e92...they are not bad... for the price and the sound.. i give them a thumbs up.
      09-05-2012, 08:17 AM   #29
MikeE92M3
Captain
Rep

I'm going with some people's advice and adding helmholtz chambers, like this, which has a very similar look to the magnaflow mufflers presently:

Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 12:45 PM   #30
m3an
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I'm going with some people's advice and adding helmholtz chambers, like this, which has a very similar look to the magnaflow mufflers presently:

just keep in mind that there is a formula to determine the correct needed length based on volume to eliminate the drone. That AA setup should be a good baseline on where to start
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 12:48 PM   #31
MikeE92M3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
just keep in mind that there is a formula to determine the correct needed length based on volume to eliminate the drone. That AA setup should be a good baseline on where to start
Yep, I have been looking into some research, and as far as size goes, the picture I posted above is very very close to how the magnaflow mufflers look (size, placement, etc), and I think if I can utilize the exact same location where the chambers are, I think I can eliminate most of, if not almost all, of the drone.

I have ordered the Aero Ar25 resonators, and I think I am going to cut them to make them shorter and reweld it together. Or I may buy the vibrant bottle types ones cause they are thinner and shorter. If I made helmholtz chambers regardless, will it still help with some of the drone? I will follow up soon.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 07:49 PM   #32
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

In my experience (2008 E90 M3 and 2012 E92 M3, both with generic mufflers and custom tips), the Magnaflow mufflers drone will tone down considerably by itself after some 3000 miles or so.

Like you, at the beginning (twice) I thought that I made a mistake because the drone is a mofo between 2500-3100rpm. But after the E90 M3 experience I had to get them again in my E92 M3. For the price ($350-$450 installed) they cannot be beat in sound, IMO.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 09:17 PM   #33
kaiv
IG: limited.slip
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 in a 325i Touring body!

Damn, the canisters and the tips look really good!

Can you post a picture post a picture from straight behind but closer to the car?

Thanks OP!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 09:34 PM   #34
m3an
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiv View Post
Damn, the canisters and the tips look really good!

Can you post a picture post a picture from straight behind but closer to the car?

Thanks OP!
they really do look killer are of real nice quality. I been staring at em for a while wanting to do a similar setup and sell my Gintani for it..

OP post more pics!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 12:11 AM   #35
MikeE92M3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
they really do look killer are of real nice quality. I been staring at em for a while wanting to do a similar setup and sell my Gintani for it..

OP post more pics!
This is a picture my sister took when she drove by to see how the car was while I was on my way home from work. I work in NYC so I am only home on the weekends. You may notice that the panel in between the mufflers looks a little bent--this has been this way since I had the car. I think something must've ran underneath it, like a kids toy or toy jeep. When you measure everything, the mufflers are lined up perfectly with everything, and there is plenty of clearance under the bumper. I will take better pictures next time I am home, which will also consist of the new X-Pipe, resonators, and helmholtz chambers, as well.

Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 07:39 AM   #36
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
You may notice that the panel in between the mufflers looks a little bent--this has been this way since I had the car. I think something must've ran underneath it, like a kids toy or toy jeep.
You can adjust this easily. I just adjusted mine this past weekend because I had the same issue as you that one side of the center panel was lower than the other. If you peak under there you will see the bumper is attached to brackets that are adjustable and can be pushed in/pulled out to make both sides even. Just need to loosen the bolt, adjust, then tighten it back up.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 08:03 AM   #37
MikeE92M3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
You can adjust this easily. I just adjusted mine this past weekend because I had the same issue as you that one side of the center panel was lower than the other. If you peak under there you will see the bumper is attached to brackets that are adjustable and can be pushed in/pulled out to make both sides even. Just need to loosen the bolt, adjust, then tighten it back up.
I did not know this. I noticed there are a couple brackets down there, but never knew I could make adjustments by loosening the bolt. I will have to try this. Thanks so much!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 08:17 AM   #38
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Looks good.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 08:23 AM   #39
MikeE92M3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
Looks good.
I love it when you say "looks good."
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 09:55 AM   #40
DB
M3/Raptor
United_States
Rep
Drives: to the track

I love this idea. When there is generally so little gain in the muffler anyway (excluding x pipe, test pipes, etc.), I think this makes sense if it sounds good. Once we have stepped down the cost by going to non m3 specific mufflers, I wonder about the next step...using non brand name mufflers like these: http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Dual...sim_sbs_auto_4

I'm assuming that the magnaflow mufflers are much better quality? Should I be assuming that?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 10:06 AM   #41
MikeE92M3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB View Post
I love this idea. When there is generally so little gain in the muffler anyway (excluding x pipe, test pipes, etc.), I think this makes sense if it sounds good. Once we have stepped down the cost by going to non m3 specific mufflers, I wonder about the next step...using non brand name mufflers like these: http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Dual...sim_sbs_auto_4

I'm assuming that the magnaflow mufflers are much better quality? Should I be assuming that?

I chose the magnaflow simply, like you said, for the quality. Looking at the link you just posted, it is clearly evident the quality differences between that and the magnaflow. When I opened the boxes for the MF mufflers you can just see and feel the quality. I have a magnaflow X pipe on the way (part number 10791) to replace the OEM "shitpipe" because the MF pipe has a bigger opening in the crossover. I have deleted the secondary cats and put in straight SS 2.5'' pipes in its place. This, combined with my new resonators I have on the way as well will create a unique sound, and maybe gain about 2-4 horses with the new x pipe, as well. Nonetheless, my muffler shop guy charges me literally almost nothing compared to other customers, so I have saved A TON of money by going the "custom" route as opposed to dropping thousands of dollars on something else. It allows me to experience the different aspects of playing/toying with the exhaust and finding something that I will love!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 06:00 PM   #42
lucas328
Rep
Drives: 2008 e90 M3

I put the Magnaflow axle back exhaust made for the e90 M3 on my car... I paid alot more then $250. However I am very happy with the sounds, but it does drown at low rpms
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 04:14 PM   #43
Stainless 45
Captain
Rep
Drives: Last of the V-8 Interceptors

Quote:
I chose the magnaflow simply, like you said, for the quality. Looking at the link you just posted, it is clearly evident the quality differences between that and the magnaflow. When I opened the boxes for the MF mufflers you can just see and feel the quality. I have a magnaflow X pipe on the way (part number 10791) to replace the OEM "shitpipe" because the MF pipe has a bigger opening in the crossover. I have deleted the secondary cats and put in straight SS 2.5'' pipes in its place. This, combined with my new resonators I have on the way as well will create a unique sound, and maybe gain about 2-4 horses with the new x pipe, as well. Nonetheless, my muffler shop guy charges me literally almost nothing compared to other customers, so I have saved A TON of money by going the "custom" route as opposed to dropping thousands of dollars on something else. It allows me to experience the different aspects of playing/toying with the exhaust and finding something that I will love!

Ant updates? My new Magnaflows are sitting in my living room waiting to be installed They were about $250 apiece from Summit, but still a bargain for the sound and quality.
Blue Thunder -2011 LeMans Blue e92 DCT, ZCP, European Delivery. BPM Stage II. Dinan 3.45 Rear. Borla/Encore Innovation Exhaust, LUX Angel Eyes, Forgestar F14's, Turner road armor. "Last of the V-8 Interceptors, a real piece of history..."
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 05:20 PM   #44
MikeE92M3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stainless 45 View Post
Ant updates? My new Magnaflows are sitting in my living room waiting to be installed They were about $250 apiece from Summit, but still a bargain for the sound and quality.
Just got the aero ar25 resonators delivered today, magnaflow x pipe will be here either tomorrow or Wednesday. Hopefully going to get them all put on this Friday.

As promised, I will keep you updated with review/pictures as soon as I am able
Appreciate 0