BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

European Auto Source (EAS)

12-29-2009, 06:00 PM   #23
DUR
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: A/W 135i M pack

The thing is that I think every motor nut should own a 911 once in life... and what better time to do so than with 33 years, a wonderful wife and no children...!!!!

But then again, I think one should also own a good V8 once in life... and what better V8 to own than one that revs up to 8500 rpm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In the end, having enough space in the rear seats and trunk, even if it is only a few times a year, is very important for me. My wife says that we could always rent a car whenever we needed more space ad the Porsche were not enough, but who wants to rent a car and leave a nive machine in the garaje just because you don't have enough space in such machine????? Yep... nobody.

At the end of the day, I pretty much think I'll go with the M3... and again, life is long so I'm sure I'll meet again with Mr. Ferdinand sometime in the future!!!!!

Regarding the M3, are there any special problems or issues I should be aware of??? The unit I have in mind is from october 2008...

Again, many many thanks for all your help!!!!!

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 09:13 PM   #24
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 M3

is there a particular reason your not thinking of the 2 door M3?? you have other 2 door cars in your list and i think the 2 door M3 looks so much better then the 4 door. just my personal opinion. i am more of a coupe kind of guy figured i get a 4 door when i have to. i am same boat as you no kids yet so i don't need the 4 doors

out of what you listed i say go for the m3 (2 door ). i just got my 08 with 9k miles on it not to long ago and love it. i have thought of the P cars many times even when i was get my E46 M3 but i always loved the do it all and everything the M3 has that the P car doesn't. i like that i can do just about everything with my M and it is pretty damn good at doing everything. it makes a great DD, it handles well, it is fast, it has luxury, it has looks. i use it all year round. i just put my blizzaks on and looking foward to some fun drifting in some fresh powder this winter too

good luck in your choice

H
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2009, 04:16 AM   #25
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
3 questions you need to ask yourself and then the answer will be clear.

1: Do you need the space?
2: Are you after the most engaging drive?
3: Do you want the best handling car above all else?

If number 1 then it's clear the only option is the M3, like so many have said before me it is the better allrounder among them with the most speed, nearly the best handling and space for the family.

If number 2 then you clear need to get the 911 thing out of your system because so many people feel they will be missing out if they never own one and I can fully understand that feeling. It's a great car which if treated with respect is both quick and engaging beyond all the others.

If it's number 3 then the Cayman is the best choice, it's got the sweetest balance from the chassis, it doesn't bite back like most other mid-engined cars and offers the closest dry/wet handling characteristics of the above. Plus it's almost as involving as the 911 and between both boots can store a sizable amount, proving itself quite practical too.

Good luck with your decision.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2009, 02:58 PM   #26
DUR
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Bomb View Post
is there a particular reason your not thinking of the 2 door M3?? you have other 2 door cars in your list and i think the 2 door M3 looks so much better then the 4 door. just my personal opinion. i am more of a coupe kind of guy figured i get a 4 door when i have to. i am same boat as you no kids yet so i don't need the 4 doors

out of what you listed i say go for the m3 (2 door ). i just got my 08 with 9k miles on it not to long ago and love it. i have thought of the P cars many times even when i was get my E46 M3 but i always loved the do it all and everything the M3 has that the P car doesn't. i like that i can do just about everything with my M and it is pretty damn good at doing everything. it makes a great DD, it handles well, it is fast, it has luxury, it has looks. i use it all year round. i just put my blizzaks on and looking foward to some fun drifting in some fresh powder this winter too

good luck in your choice

H
Actually, the 2 door is quite good looking, but I like the sedan version much more... Plus, itīs incredibly exclusive at least here in Spain, where 90% of M3's you see on the road, are E92's or E93's...

Furthermore, the good quote I have on the unit with 20 miles on the clockis for an E90 version, so that should be the definitive reason!!!!!

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2009, 02:59 PM   #27
DUR
Enlisted Member
Rep

Btw, another question (or opponent):

What about the 996 4s?? Any former owners of such model?? Any references??

Thanks, cheers.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2009, 03:56 PM   #28
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

you mean the 9964s like the awd model??

i know 996's didn't have good resale at all so you could prob get a steal on one. i see 996 turbos for real cheap all the time and those were expensive new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUR View Post
Btw, another question (or opponent):

What about the 996 4s?? Any former owners of such model?? Any references??

Thanks, cheers.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2009, 04:03 PM   #29
major_kusanagi
SWARM & COIN
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 AW/FR/CF E92 M3

well put, well put...

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
3 questions you need to ask yourself and then the answer will be clear.

1: Do you need the space?
2: Are you after the most engaging drive?
3: Do you want the best handling car above all else?

If number 1 then it's clear the only option is the M3, like so many have said before me it is the better allrounder among them with the most speed, nearly the best handling and space for the family.

If number 2 then you clear need to get the 911 thing out of your system because so many people feel they will be missing out if they never own one and I can fully understand that feeling. It's a great car which if treated with respect is both quick and engaging beyond all the others.

If it's number 3 then the Cayman is the best choice, it's got the sweetest balance from the chassis, it doesn't bite back like most other mid-engined cars and offers the closest dry/wet handling characteristics of the above. Plus it's almost as involving as the 911 and between both boots can store a sizable amount, proving itself quite practical too.

Good luck with your decision.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2009, 04:15 PM   #30
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep
Drives: people crazy

996s are not as reliable as the older 911s or as the newer 911s. But the 966TT is pretty bulletproof (no RMS issues) and is also AWD. The 966TT is the best bang for the buck in terms of Porsche performance on the cheap.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2009, 01:36 PM   #31
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

what years was the 966TT made??
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2010, 01:23 AM   #32
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift@red View Post
Have to strongly disagree regarding daily driving a Porsche. I daily drove my cayman S and it was very comfortable, and NEVER had any complaints from any passenger. A cayman or 911 with PASM makes it even more applicable for daily use.
I daily drive my Z4M coupe and have never thought it to be 'too harsh' at all. I find it quite comfortable as well.
Sure, a true sports car wont drive similar to a cadillac, but you have to expect a more sporty ride from a real sports car. I see nearly everyday on my daily commute, a 997 GT3 daily and a Ferrari 355 Coupe daily. Now, if they're daily driving those, surely a 911 or Cayman S are not undrivable on a daily basis.
they are all dd able, I don't think anyone is arguing about that. but the m3 is still a better driver than 911 or cayman. it is still more comfortable and have real back seat. there are many time I need to drive clients or go to lunch with a bunch of co-workers. it fit more stuff too. Good luck picking up document or something big to/from your company in a cayman/911.

especially a gt3. by the time you get to the parking lot because you have to slow down for curb, pot holes, etc due to ground clearance, In some case you can't even get in the parking lot especially if you are downtown. your co-worker already done their lunch. it is a real hassle.

for the best all around dd, m3.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2010, 09:34 AM   #33
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

I hate to bring you bad news, but the M3 brakes will fade just as fast - or faster - than the 135i brakes. You'll need track pads for pretty much any BMW.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2010, 02:34 PM   #34
330CIZHP
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 330 CI ZHP

Geez! If M3 in the stiffest settings is "too soft" for you then I could imagine what would be "stiff enough" for you.

On the freeway, on a bumpy patch, the M3 sedan I test drove bounced way more than my 330 CI ZHP in its stiffest EDC setting (way more than the E46 M3 since E46 had no EDC to give a Jekyll/Hyde option) until we had to put it down into comfort mode. With the extreme chassis rigidity, the entire car had a "see-saw" like bouncing pattern front to back. It is almost called the "back breaking mode". I cannot imagine being able to live with a harder suspension.

Panamera costs as much as two M3s so it is an apples to oranges comparison. Not to mention, Panamera is heavy as hell well over 500 lbs more than the M3 even more so than an M5 at 4200 lbs. Unlike my dream car 911 GT3, I have seen a couple of Panameras on the road and the back end looks thoroughly unimpressive, unathletic and bloated like a station wagon. I am not sure how one could enjoy tossing a car around that heavy.

Quote:
Its different for everyone. I like the more sporty ride. The M3 is way too soft a ride for my liking, even on sport+ MDM. I dont need to take clients in my car nor do I need to carry much.
I personally wouldnt DD a GT3. Doing that to me is an injustice. The car is flat out one of the best from the factory track cars ever built; thats where it naturally wants to be and should be experienced.
I personally think the 911/cayman with PASM is very comfortable, but yet has enough feel/response that it still feels like a true sport cars and can put down amazing lap times on the weekend.
There are plenty of cars out there that can serve as a best all around driver, it just depends on what your criteria is. That might be an m3, it might be an RS4, or it might be a Panamera or Quattroporte. Just varying levels of money and performance.
My perfect daily would be a Panamera. It is the best 4 door sedan money can buy performance wise, and has every type of new technology, the best dual clutch out there, and is still a riot to drive. It will still dominate 99.9% of cars on the track too.

- Lamborghini on turbocharging
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2010, 02:46 PM   #35
Tio///M
///M South Lead
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jerez Blk / Fox Red Ext

If you're looking at an 08' and have the oppurtunity, I would suggest the 09' to take advantage of all the updates. Believe me its worth it and better resale value later on when you do want to move on to a porsche.

I got nine more years to retire and I plan on getting a P-car, if everything goes well. I think a retirement present like a P car is worth the wait and more rewarding. In the mean time the M3 has everything that I could possible want and desire for my current needs. Hope this somewhat helps ya. GL on the hunt for the new machine.

MFlight!! .......NOW
///M SOUTH
on Facebook!!
FOR SALE!!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2010, 03:23 PM   #36
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

Quote:
Its different for everyone. I like the more sporty ride. The M3 is way too soft a ride for my liking, even on sport+ MDM. I dont need to take clients in my car nor do I need to carry much.
I personally wouldnt DD a GT3. Doing that to me is an injustice. The car is flat out one of the best from the factory track cars ever built; thats where it naturally wants to be and should be experienced.
I personally think the 911/cayman with PASM is very comfortable, but yet has enough feel/response that it still feels like a true sport cars and can put down amazing lap times on the weekend.
There are plenty of cars out there that can serve as a best all around driver, it just depends on what your criteria is. That might be an m3, it might be an RS4, or it might be a Panamera or Quattroporte. Just varying levels of money and performance.
My perfect daily would be a Panamera. It is the best 4 door sedan money can buy performance wise, and has every type of new technology, the best dual clutch out there, and is still a riot to drive. It will still dominate 99.9% of cars on the track too.
I see where you coming from. I personally found the e46 m3 really soft. new m3 must be softer. coil-over maybe the solution though.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2010, 04:06 PM   #37
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
I am finding it funny that you are saying any of the Porsches with the exception of the GT3 and GT2 feel dramatically stiffer than the M3 on normal suspension with 19" alloys. Part of the Porsche's appeal is their remarkably good ride considering the handling.

To me at least I would say if anyone finds the M3 on it's stiffest setting is too soft for them then they have a twisted option of what soft actual is.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2010, 04:52 PM   #38
330CIZHP
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 330 CI ZHP

Maybe in comfort or normal model, but no way in the sport mode. The E9X M3 with EDC option in 'sport' settting is WAY stiffer than the E46 M3 I have driven several times since E46 M3 did not have an EDC option available making it not possible for BMW to split the daily drivability and track settings apart so it had to find a balance between stiff and comfort.

The E9X M3 in "sport" setting is pretty much capable of breaking or doing serious damage to your back if you drive it on less than perfect roads all the time. Even BNW said M3 does not handle the best in the stiffest 'sport' setting since it is too stiff to adapt properly to rapidly changing road conditions.

Ofcourse, this does not apply to non-EDC equipped M3s since I heard they are calibrated with a standard setting between normal and stiff.

That is why it makes no sense since the E90 M3 with EDC option set to 'sport' is bar none the stiffest car I have ever driven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graider View Post
I see where you coming from. I personally found the e46 m3 really soft. new m3 must be softer. coil-over maybe the solution though.

- Lamborghini on turbocharging

Last edited by 330CIZHP; 01-02-2010 at 05:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2010, 09:28 PM   #39
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

other then the nav update what else does the 09 have that the 08 doesn't??

also how much more could a 09 be worth then an 08?? couple grand??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio///M View Post
If you're looking at an 08' and have the oppurtunity, I would suggest the 09' to take advantage of all the updates. Believe me its worth it and better resale value later on when you do want to move on to a porsche.

I got nine more years to retire and I plan on getting a P-car, if everything goes well. I think a retirement present like a P car is worth the wait and more rewarding. In the mean time the M3 has everything that I could possible want and desire for my current needs. Hope this somewhat helps ya. GL on the hunt for the new machine.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2010, 09:42 PM   #40
photogS
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 M3, 10 X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330CIZHP View Post

That is why it makes no sense since the E90 M3 with EDC option set to 'sport' is bar none the stiffest car I have ever driven.
It all depends what we are used to. Several cars back I used to own '04 S2k and also drove Elise few times.

While I don't think e9x M3 is particularly soft in sport setting, it feels soft and very comfortable in stiffest setting when you compare it to the above cars.
Heck, even S2k that can be pretty harsh felt fairly soft after driving an Elise.

What I'm trying to say that due to different car experiences our comfort levels are vastly different and opinions will differ.
      01-03-2010, 03:10 AM   #41
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
I am a bit amazed you found the Elise overly stiff. I found it's ride to be roughly on par with a Cayman S which I don't think is any stiffer than an M3 on 19" alloys at sport setting.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2010, 03:20 AM   #42
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

I have better things to do than screw around, I'd get the M3, and call it a day!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2010, 07:00 AM   #43
Tio///M
///M South Lead
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jerez Blk / Fox Red Ext

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Bomb View Post
other then the nav update what else does the 09 have that the 08 doesn't??

also how much more could a 09 be worth then an 08?? couple grand??
Well obviously no exterior upgrades, but you don't have to worry about M-DCT software, its already upgraded. You wouldn't have to worry about an early 08' who might have accidentally gotten the M-DCT fluids changed. The Tech Pack recieved HD.

Plus lower mileaged compared to an 08 obviously and you never know, if the original owner followed the 1200 mile-break-in-service. Thats a big thing if not done properly. Hope that makes sense to ya.

MFlight!! .......NOW
///M SOUTH
on Facebook!!
FOR SALE!!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2010, 10:03 AM   #44
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
I am a bit amazed you found the Elise overly stiff. I found it's ride to be roughly on par with a Cayman S which I don't think is any stiffer than an M3 on 19" alloys at sport setting.
+1.

Maybe it was all that rattling that confused him... took me a little while to recalibrate in the Elise.
Appreciate 0