BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

03-16-2011, 01:57 PM   #23
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F82 M4

its going to be a long assssssssssssssssssssss boring drive.............. get it shipped plus just incase something happen to the car on the way... IE, flat tires engine failure or other related car issue that you might get stranded in the middle of the street. WHICH I HIGHLY DOUBT BUT HEY BE SAFE THAN SORRY...
      03-16-2011, 02:00 PM   #24
checkmate
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M3 E90

Hell-if rock chips are a concern-get painter tape and plaster the whole front of your car. considering its a road trip never mind the aesthetics.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 02:53 PM   #25
Das M
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB F80 ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
Hell-if rock chips are a concern-get painter tape and plaster the whole front of your car. considering its a road trip never mind the aesthetics.
Someone beat me to it. Tape it up, load up on Amp and Snickers and get some good tunes and drive that thing like you stole it.

I debated shipping my car from Utah to our new house in Ohio but when I saw the number of folks that I new who were like "I'll drive your car just pay for gas and food" I was like why am I even thinking about shipping, this car begs to be driven.
      03-16-2011, 04:04 PM   #26
GreasyGinzo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 AW 6MT M3(Totaled)

Pack some painters tape and drive that bitch home don't be a pussy
      03-16-2011, 04:53 PM   #27
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Let me tell you by experience that it's MUCH better to check the car personally before closing the deal. I know you're doing just that, but wanted others to know it's not worth it. I recently made the mistake of buying an expensive car trusting the dealer, mostly for the inconvenience of the trip (plus saved a grand), but it wasn't a pleasant transaction. I'd have probably bought the car anyway, but man, do I hate surprises.

Having said that, if you take the trip to check the car out, it'd be a lot cheaper and quicker to just drive the car back than shipping it. And you're already there. I did that with my M3, and drove the car home 780 miles from Vegas. I got there late, so ended up getting home at 11pm. Any more distance, and I'd had stayed somewhere.
In your case, with 1,000 miles, you'd have to do it in 2 days to be safe. Either get there in the afternoon, do the transaction, and leave first time in the morning, or get there early and get a head start on the trip back, and stay somewhere about half way. I'd do the latter for sure, BUT I'd also extend my trip a little bit by traveling nice secondary highways, which can be a lot of fun, and you can usually travel faster as well (less patrolled). You don't have that luxury if you plan to do the 1K miles the same day. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 09:58 PM   #28
rockd
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 Z4 35i M-Sport 6MT

DRIVE IT! I just flew to North Carolina on Saturday and drove a wrangler back to Boston. Had a great time and spent an awesome night in NYC. Back home by Sunday night and I felt great.
Appreciate 0