BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

05-10-2013, 02:35 PM   #1
MTrezzz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lime Rock Edition

Warranty With Exhaust.

Okay, I've recently bought an M3 that came with the M performance exhaust.
enthusiasts say when paired with the tuner test pipe, it changes the sound plus the performance. All good from there, but recently i visited a Bmw Dealer and asked if they would still cover the rest of the car, but the exhaust. guy goes
"ohh do what u what, we don't care, but if it affects the car in a engine manner or anything like that, then no warranty for the whole car?

is it worth it?

Any issues with the test pipes?

need help!?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 02:42 PM   #2
IronManM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 m3

Garage List
09 BMW e93 m3  [0.00]
That's BS, I'm a service advisor for Toyota, and if a product is installed by the dealer and is a dealer product that part is covered 100% under the vehicles warranty, however if you install something yourself that particular part is now void and anything that you install that directly affects something else is void as well...
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 02:58 PM   #3
///M3THOD
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GTS

If you tune the vehicle to turn off the cell or something of that nature, ..and the engine goes, then they could claim that your modification caused the failure. The modifications have to effect the failed part.

Generally, people say that the dealership must prove that the modification caused or contributed to the failure.. essentially innocent until proven guilty.

My personal experience is the other way around. I have had several occasions where the dealer has refused to warranty something because it was modified or has something that was in some way related to it modified.

For example, I put polyurethane tranny mounts in my SMG e46 M3 and they attempted to say that my leaking diff seal and grinding diff was the result.. even though the diff had been grinding before the mounts went in. I got it warrantied but its was a pain in the ass.

You modifying your exhaust line by cutting out the primary cats.. if anything, will pull timing and make the engine run more conservatively. I don't know anyone who runs cat deletes without a tune... just make sure the car is coded back to stock when going into the dealer... for ANYTHING.

Some dealers are vigilant, some couldn't give two shits... you sound like you might want to take precautious so that you don't end up with a bill in your hand.

Last edited by ///M3THOD; 05-10-2013 at 03:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 07:55 PM   #4
MTrezzz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lime Rock Edition

Maybe since the primary cat delete will cause a check engine light, then me putting a tune will ruin (Stock Software). A alternative route may actually be doing a res delete, even though you get no hp gains, you still get the noise.
420hp
& 295 T is good enough for me!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 08:08 PM   #5
chris s
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2022 Dravit G80 M3

I'm sorry, but who actually goes into a dealer and asks that??? It's very simple....if the modification has a direct effect on a related problem, or could possibly have had an effect, then yes warranty coverage could be denied for that item.

If you put test pipes and you have an electrical issue, they're unrelated and technically (by law) they can't deny you coverage.
2008 AW e92 M3 6MT, ESS SC, BBS LM's...SOLD!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 10:39 PM   #6
FVM3
Major General
Rep
Drives: e92 m3, f30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronManM3 View Post
That's BS, I'm a service advisor for Toyota, and if a product is installed by the dealer and is a dealer product that part is covered 100% under the vehicles warranty, however if you install something yourself that particular part is now void and anything that you install that directly affects something else is void as well...
Hes talking about test pipe, so thats a mod
Appreciate 0