BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

11-16-2012, 12:43 PM   #67
AJ_MO
Private
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E93

If you want a Porsche...buy a REAL Porsche. 911 is the way to go...your pocket says which one (996,997,991...NA or Turbo).

M3 is better than any 987 or 981. And I'm a Porsche freak! I have a Cayenne TT and a 911 SC...have had all 996s(including 996TTS) and a 997 4S all AMAZING driving machines...the Boxster is a really nice roadster but the cayman is useless if you don't track it VERY often(it makes sense only at the track!). IMHO!

'08 M3 E93 DCT - Individual Diopsidschwarz/Palladium -19" 220 Gunmetal - 12mm H&R spacers - H&R Swaybars - BMC filter - M Performance grills - ECU - Zimmerann Rotors/Brembo Sport Pads
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 09:25 PM   #68
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyNate View Post
...and here it finally is. You can thank me later. This deserves SERIOUS consideration. Enjoy.Attachment 782958
im in! group buy.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 03:33 PM   #69
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ_MO View Post
If you want a Porsche...buy a REAL Porsche. 911 is the way to go...your pocket says which one (996,997,991...NA or Turbo).

M3 is better than any 987 or 981. And I'm a Porsche freak! I have a Cayenne TT and a 911 SC...have had all 996s(including 996TTS) and a 997 4S all AMAZING driving machines...the Boxster is a really nice roadster but the cayman is useless if you don't track it VERY often(it makes sense only at the track!). IMHO!
I think you're behind the times with the "real porsche" my friend ... I think the new boxsters and caymans will be winning comparos if only due to value and daily driveability.

I've only had one BMW, my 2011 e93 M3. I definitely like it, but it's more of a track car IMO; on a daily basis below 50mph it's a lurchy ponderous boat of a car ... it also isn't much of a "canyon car" imo.

Not to say it's not a GREAT car - it is - one of the best. But for my next car I'll be looking for that top down canyon daily driver and it's looking like the boxster will win that contest by a lot.

The pre 2013 boxster is just too girly for me - no offense to anyone. Frankly if there's one thing the e93 wins at it's being a 'vert that's not girly ... no easy feat!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 09:21 PM   #70
PhillyNate
ENTHUSIAST
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Porsche Cayman

Garage List
Haven't seen many Boxster's on the road but I saw one today on I95. I gotta say the girly or secretary car stereotype is now over! Porsche has done a great job making the car look masculine and purposeful.
2011 Alpine White BMW M3 6mt ZCP Coupe(forced retirement 06/06/14)
2008 Alpine White BMW 328i 6mt Coupe(retired 06/21/11
)
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 09:30 PM   #71
6spdg37s
Captain
Rep
Drives: none

looks good... my aunt has had a few 6-speed cayman's her newest one is a 12 cayman black/black 6-speed... car is little slugish on the low end but car handles sick !

a friend of mine has a orane boxster that is turbo'd my only complaint is I feel claustrophobic in it compared to how i did in my z06, the carerra and the m3s ive drove
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 08:37 AM   #72
saeyedoc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 Carrera S, 2013 Panny GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ_MO View Post

Wrong in so many ways. I daily drive my Cayman S, not exactly useless.
Try driving some tight canyons in a Cayman then in an M3, see which one you would pick.
I like our M3 for the comfort features and the engine is a beast, but for fun, the Cayman all the way!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 12:01 PM   #73
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriszeh
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyNate View Post
...and here it finally is. You can thank me later. This deserves SERIOUS consideration. Enjoy.Attachment 782958
im in! group buy.
Me too! Car looks pretty badass
      11-19-2012, 03:40 PM   #74
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 ///M3 Coupe

Love this car! Im sure its still even quicker than past Cayman R but the handling and feel are going to be world class and sublime...nothing will touch it for the price.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 09:20 PM   #75
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

now the question is would you rather have a 5 year old gt3 or a new cayman s at the same price point? this is my dilema right now.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 09:34 AM   #76
ranger22
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriszeh View Post
now the question is would you rather have a 5 year old gt3 or a new cayman s at the same price point? this is my dilema right now.
I chose the cayman R route, but sometimes wish I would have gone with an older used GT3. The GT3 will still be faster (stock). I just didn't think I was ready for a rear-weight biased car. At this point in my driving learning curve, if I were to do it again, I'd probably look a little harder at the GT3.

That said, I've got some nice go fast goodies on my R now and it is a hoot to drive! I have run down some older GT3s at the track, but that could just be driver skill. Also, I don't feel quite as bad about beating on a Cayman as I would the prestigious GT3.

One more thought, I'd guess if you are driving a GT3, you basically have a target on your back at the track. Much like driving a BMW on the street, people will aim for you to pass and to generally get in your way.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 09:49 AM   #77
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger22 View Post
I chose the cayman R route, but sometimes wish I would have gone with an older used GT3. The GT3 will still be faster (stock). I just didn't think I was ready for a rear-weight biased car. At this point in my driving learning curve, if I were to do it again, I'd probably look a little harder at the GT3.

That said, I've got some nice go fast goodies on my R now and it is a hoot to drive! I have run down some older GT3s at the track, but that could just be driver skill. Also, I don't feel quite as bad about beating on a Cayman as I would the prestigious GT3.

One more thought, I'd guess if you are driving a GT3, you basically have a target on your back at the track. Much like driving a BMW on the street, people will aim for you to pass and to generally get in your way.
I don't know if I'm ready for it either. Have no track experience in any rear engine car. Not to worried about the target thing, let em come. I'm worried about not enjoying the driving experience as much as I already do.

Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 09:58 AM   #78
ranger22
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
I don't know if I'm ready for it either. Have no track experience in any rear engine car. Not to worried about the target thing, let em come. I'm worried about not enjoying the driving experience as much as I already do.
Not sure what you mean by not enjoying the driving experience. If you haven't done at least a ride along on the track in one, do it! The experience is quite addicting. The rear weight bias is weird, but I think its just a matter of getting used to it.

The thing about the rear engined cars is that the back end swings slow. What I mean by this is that even though the back end feels like it wants to come around quite easily, its so slow that you have lots of time to catch and correct. In comparison, if I lost the back end on my mid-engined cayman, it goes fast and you spin like a top. While its much tougher to get the back end loose, its also much tougher to catch once it happens.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 10:39 AM   #79
MRSSIIM3
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Plutonium View Post
Dumbest post of the month.
second dumbest post of the month

he has a point...
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 10:48 AM   #80
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger22 View Post
Not sure what you mean by not enjoying the driving experience. If you haven't done at least a ride along on the track in one, do it! The experience is quite addicting. The rear weight bias is weird, but I think its just a matter of getting used to it.

The thing about the rear engined cars is that the back end swings slow. What I mean by this is that even though the back end feels like it wants to come around quite easily, its so slow that you have lots of time to catch and correct. In comparison, if I lost the back end on my mid-engined cayman, it goes fast and you spin like a top. While its much tougher to get the back end loose, its also much tougher to catch once it happens.
i just meant i was unsure if i would like the different feeling of the rear engined car. just have heard they are much more difficult to drive fast and skillfully. dont have the opportunity for ride alongs here. i have seen several caymans lose it and they dont usually recover just spin out while havent seen the same in 911s, just like you say.

Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 10:58 AM   #81
M3forMe
M3 Dreamin'
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 E92 - AW

GT3. Done.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 11:25 AM   #82
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Banned
Rep

Quote:
i just meant i was unsure if i would like the different feeling of the rear engined car. just have heard they are much more difficult to drive fast and skillfully. dont have the opportunity for ride alongs here. i have seen several caymans lose it and they dont usually recover just spin out while havent seen the same in 911s, just like you say.
GT3 is an extremely balanced car and very different from a regular 911. Its suspension geometry is absolutely fantastic out of the box. I havnt had much time in a 458 and not back to back with a GT3 but EVO said the 458 felt edgy compared to the GT3. Edit: This is from Autocar, not EVO. But EVO also picked it as the better car over the 458.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/blogs/teste...why-gt3-rs-won

If youre driving a car that has limits of a GT3, or any other car that has limits that are close, if something goes wrong youre going to need to be a very very good driver to fix it, whether its a GT3 or Mclaren, doesnt matter.

Cayman S will be most like the M3, it will be easy to drive at 5/10s or 10/10s, but it has higher limits and is a much better handling car with tons more feel and you can really exploit the mid engined platform whereas the 911 will require you to become a better driver and adjust to how it should be driven.

Last edited by Wolfinwolfsclothing; 11-20-2012 at 11:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 09:11 AM   #83
ScarecrowBoat
Zooombie attaaack!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328

That new Cayman is beautiful, it totally lost those women's hips without looking too much like the big brother...
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 11:26 AM   #84
attila
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 Mclaren 650s, 2015 GTS4,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfinwolfsclothing View Post
GT3 is an extremely balanced car and very different from a regular 911. Its suspension geometry is absolutely fantastic out of the box. I havnt had much time in a 458 and not back to back with a GT3 but EVO said the 458 felt edgy compared to the GT3. Edit: This is from Autocar, not EVO. But EVO also picked it as the better car over the 458.

If youre driving a car that has limits of a GT3, or any other car that has limits that are close, if something goes wrong youre going to need to be a very very good driver to fix it, whether its a GT3 or Mclaren, doesnt matter.

Cayman S will be most like the M3, it will be easy to drive at 5/10s or 10/10s, but it has higher limits and is a much better handling car with tons more feel and you can really exploit the mid engined platform whereas the 911 will require you to become a better driver and adjust to how it should be driven.

Are you real?? The GT3 and RS (997.2) rear suspension geometry is - well if I want to be nice - requires some changes and assembly. If I am not so nice then.. It is a pile of....@^#$@*
Try to threshold brake in one and you will see! It has a toe out tendency under braking. Meaning it will wiggle its nice fat ass like a whore. That's why you see so many aftermarket rear toe link and control arms. I went with full RSS links on my RS now the ridiculously weak LSD next. The car also comes with no alignment whatsoever.
So the GT3 is a fun car on the track but not more fun than the M3 or a Mazda MX-5. Faster, more exiting, better noise, lots of adrenaline - to keep it on the black stuff - but not necessarily more fun. One advice if you want to track your GT3 - AVOID the PCCB brakes!! They are very expensive!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 11:59 AM   #85
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by attila View Post
Are you real?? The GT3 and RS (997.2) rear suspension geometry is - well if I want to be nice - requires some changes and assembly. If I am not so nice then.. It is a pile of....@^#$@*
Try to threshold brake in one and you will see! It has a toe out tendency under braking. Meaning it will wiggle its nice fat ass like a whore. That's why you see so many aftermarket rear toe link and control arms. I went with full RSS links on my RS now the ridiculously weak LSD next. The car also comes with no alignment whatsoever.
So the GT3 is a fun car on the track but not more fun than the M3 or a Mazda MX-5. Faster, more exiting, better noise, lots of adrenaline - to keep it on the black stuff - but not necessarily more fun. One advice if you want to track your GT3 - AVOID the PCCB brakes!! They are very expensive!
Yes, however, everyone I know who has one has gotten them aligned right after delivery and I thought the cars were dialed in quite nice. This is a common issue and has happened a lot in the past due to shifting during transport.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 12:46 PM   #86
attila
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 Mclaren 650s, 2015 GTS4,

Quote:
Yes, however, everyone I know who has one has gotten them aligned right after delivery and I thought the cars were dialed in quite nice. This is a common issue and has happened a lot in the past due to shifting during transport.
The rear toe-link got weaker during transport??
I understand you like Porsches, I like them too (my 4S is coming for DD) but they have issues quite few in fact. (I am sure Ferrari has some as well)
Just to list a few on the GT3/RS: weak LSD, unstable rear suspension geometry, cooling line separation with complete loss of cooling (has not happened yet on the 997.2 RS according my knowledge but the car is a sitting duck for this) etc.
It is a characterful car and fun on the track (not so much on the road) but the M3 can be just as much fun. Telling the truth I enjoy the M3 or my wife MX-5 more in the wet than the RS. I cannot drift the RS like I can the M3. It is faster and more difficult more challenging car, but challenge is not always what you want on an afternoon after work running out to the track.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 12:55 PM   #87
soberin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 E90

Quote:

The only question to me is if the EPS on the Cayman will be a POS, with decreased feedback and feel compared to the previous generation. If that's the case when the reviews are in, I'll get a used Cayman R to go with my current E90.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 02:23 PM   #88
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cooper S

Quote:
Consider other expenses. For instance, can't go square setup in the GT3 (not sure if you can with the Cayman). Any upgrades would probably be more expensive for GT3. Also the new Porsche's have electric steering. You may not like that.

Also, this is probably something that is weird to think, but happened to a friend of mine. Getting rear ended in a 911 can be very expensive.