BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

05-19-2008, 04:01 PM   #23
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by savage.ulm1 View Post
many many thanks..

Simply my dealer and his inspector say that the car is fine. Today I gave the car to one my friend. I ask to drivers not used to the car,to tell their opinion.I really am not able to confirm what you describe. Simply the car is not like was before the change of the ECU. I will ask the help of a German dealer in Munich soon. Simply because not too far from me and simply because I want to show to my dealer and the BMW's inspector that they were wrong. And simply because I know my car much better than them...
Thanks for the feedback.
Keep at them mate. I had a similar problem with a Fiat Coupe many years ago which both the dealer and main importer believed was fine, in the end they listen to my concerns and replaced the steering box, servo and piping which solved the problem. Only after that was done did the dealer agree with me after sampling the car after the work was carried out.

I know of a guy at my local Audi dealership who had a noise coming from the dash in his Q7, the dealer couldn't find it and Audi GmbH sent a Q7 fitter over for three days to solved the problem.

If you shout loud enough things happen.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2008, 10:05 AM   #24
kbk_75
Lieutenant
India
Rep
Drives: Alpine White E92 M3

Savage, hi. Yesterday I drove around for a bit with my car using both steering modes and to be honest I did not notice much difference when near-centre on the steering. There was no extra "feel". Where the difference was felt was once the wheel is actually turned a fair bit. I did a couple of sweeping turns at speed and it felt as though the steering effort was greater in the Sport mode. It was not a big, pronounced difference, but it was noticeable. Hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2008, 04:54 PM   #25
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Savage, I now have the exact same problem!

This happened recently, and I noticed the difference right away--actually I noticed the "lack" of a difference between the two modes. Then I propped the hood, and saw that some power steering fluid has splashed around the engine bay. I took it to the dealer today. The service guy was nice, and believed me. They checked the computer and there were no error codes. They inspected the underbody and could not find anything wrong with the car. They could not explain why there was splashed fluid--not a whole lot, but it's definitely around the power steering fluid reservoir. Like you said, I know my car very well, and I can tell that something's not right, and I am stuck with the over-boosted steering that sucks. Really frustrating. He wants me to leave the car with them for a day so that they can examine it more. He said they would need to contact BMW for a solution. I'll let you know if I learn anything and you do the same.
      05-25-2008, 09:13 AM   #26
savage.ulm1
Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: Giulia Q.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk_75 View Post
Savage, hi. Yesterday I drove around for a bit with my car using both steering modes and to be honest I did not notice much difference when near-centre on the steering. There was no extra "feel". Where the difference was felt was once the wheel is actually turned a fair bit. I did a couple of sweeping turns at speed and it felt as though the steering effort was greater in the Sport mode. It was not a big, pronounced difference, but it was noticeable. Hope that helps.
many thanks for your feedback...The important difference is that you don't feel any difference in your car from the past. Unluky I feel a lot of difference after they changed last january, my ECU.
      05-25-2008, 09:17 AM   #27
savage.ulm1
Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: Giulia Q.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post

This happened recently, and I noticed the difference right away--actually I noticed the "lack" of a difference between the two modes. Then I propped the hood, and saw that some power steering fluid has splashed around the engine bay. I took it to the dealer today. The service guy was nice, and believed me. They checked the computer and there were no error codes. They inspected the underbody and could not find anything wrong with the car. They could not explain why there was splashed fluid--not a whole lot, but it's definitely around the power steering fluid reservoir. Like you said, I know my car very well, and I can tell that something's not right, and I am stuck with the over-boosted steering that sucks. Really frustrating. He wants me to leave the car with them for a day so that they can examine it more. He said they would need to contact BMW for a solution. I'll let you know if I learn anything and you do the same.
HI Lucid, unluky you have now a similar problem..
I hope you will not meet an inspector that will tell you after a test : ALL IS FINE....
You know your car better than any inspector,I am sure.
Keep me informed. I will do the same. Sure, I have some nice contacts with people really inside MOTORSPORT in Germany. I will visit them probably on Wednesday. I will be so happy if they will tell me :Savage you are right and that inspector needs to change his job!!!!!
I will inform about that test at the mother-house
Bye bye now
      05-25-2008, 08:45 PM   #28
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage.ulm1 View Post
many many thanks..

Simply my dealer and his inspector say that the car is fine. Today I gave the car to one my friend. I ask to drivers not used to the car,to tell their opinion.I really am not able to confirm what you describe. Simply the car is not like was before the change of the ECU. I will ask the help of a German dealer in Munich soon. Simply because not too far from me and simply because I want to show to my dealer and the BMW's inspector that they were wrong. And simply because I know my car much better than them...
Thanks for the feedback.
No truer statement can be made. I hate when the dealer tells me there is nothing wrong with the car when I know there is and then later they find it yet I get no apology. Happened with my e92 335i when the HP fuel pump died.

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2008, 08:50 PM   #29
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

This is by far the most disturbing post I have read about this car to date. Eveerything else, including possible M-DCT issues can be fixed. But something a little as this may go unfixed and leave me pissed off and with a 70k I don't like and are frustrated with. God, this really worries me. Please keep us updated Lucid, this could sway me away from the until 2009 or later and cancel my order, would break my heart but steering feel is a deal breaker for me.

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 03:06 PM   #30
Mx3
M
Rep
Drives: 08.SpaceGry.DCT.19's,Tech,+

Quote:

Anyword on this?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 03:27 PM   #31
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mx3 View Post
Anyword on this?
Turns out there was no problem, Savage mentioned on another thread that it was all in his head, and that he in fact had just gotten used to it

Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 04:38 PM   #32
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

I added the fluid that was lost. Things are back to "normal" for me now. I am pretty convinced this was not in my "head". Two possible explanations:

1. The missing fluid messed up the system somehow.

2. When you push the car hard (say, on a track), tires obviously really heat up and pressure goes up (3-4 psi or even more?). This might temporarily decrease the steering effort.

Or maybe it was a combination of the two above. I still don't understand why fluid splashed around. I guess it might have boiled and escaped through the relief valve on the cap.