BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

05-10-2014, 10:42 AM   #1
Petros
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Fix or replace windshield? OEM or aftermarket? Need advice

So I was driving home from work yesterday on the highway, and I hear that dreaded sound of a stone colliding with the car. It was dark and I didn't see any damage so I didn't think much of it. And then when I pulled over at home I was horrified to notice what had taken place! The stone chip had caused a 20-25 cm crack on the lower right side of the glass.

Can this be fixed by one of those guys who put resin in chips and cracks or is the damage too severe to salvage? And if I have to replace it, are there any good aftermarket options or only the OEM? I'm not really concerned with price as much as quality. The stock glass BMW puts on is crap. It seems too soft and easily damaged. I'd like something more durable if possible.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-10-2014, 11:09 AM   #2
sqse90
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 Schwarz E90 DCT

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
i believe the only aftermarket windshield available for our cars is made by pilkington - the same manufacturer that makes it for bmw. the pilkington glass has the blue faded sunscreen tinted part on the top, whereas the bmw does not. other than that, i assume the quality of the glass is going to be the same.

make sure you find a quality installer. carmax changed my windshield to the aftermarket one before i purchased it and the idiots installing it (three times in a row) used too much adhesive, didn't remove old adhesive making the top trim piece look like shit, didn't seat it right causing excessive wind noise, and somehow caused the a-pillars to rattle after install. i had to fight with carmax to send my car to bmw to put an oem windshield in and that cost them around $1600.
Appreciate 0