BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

BPM

08-17-2010, 03:43 PM   #23
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

First, you'd have to get 99% of drivers in America to comply with the rule of SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT. You can't get them to follow that basic tenant of courteous driving, the rest is a moot point.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2010, 03:51 PM   #24
lowcash_dreamcar
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: his bimmer like it should be

Garage List
2008 328i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
europe with no speed limit = sweet man

u.s. with no speed limit = KABOOM

+1
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2010, 04:07 PM   #25
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Even if you could make it work, you'd need to replace the tax revenue currently generated from speeding tickets with either a gas tax, or additional income tax. I'd guess that most Americans wouldn't go for this.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2010, 04:20 PM   #26
JoosyJoos
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Even if you could make it work, you'd need to replace the tax revenue currently generated from speeding tickets with either a gas tax, or additional income tax. I'd guess that most Americans wouldn't go for this.
Just to add to this list of "consequences"-- you'd have to weigh the fact that this would increase gas usage (higher cruising speeds = less efficiency) which wouldnt exactly be the most politically stable argument. I'd like to see someone campaign on that lol

1997 M3 Coupe - BMWCCA I-Prepared #22
2006 M Roadster - 23,000 miles and slowly counting
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2010, 04:47 PM   #27
talisman311
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90

I can't speak on Lebanon, but comparing the US to Germany is apples to oranges. It takes thousands of dollars to obtain a German driver's license, with many more hours of instruction. Cars cost more if I'm not mistaken and also undergo stringent inspection biannually. German drivers are also mindful of other drivers on the road; they move over if a faster/superior car is behind them and they don't coast slowly in the left
lane.

Compare that to here.. we don't even have mandatory safety inspections in some states.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comet View Post
it works in Germany, it also works in Lebanon.. we have no enforceable speed limit at all, anywhere...
we have as much (if not less) accidents as any other country does...

it forces you to be awake while driving.. and even though there is no speed limit, people still drive at a pace of 100-120km/h on a highway... so I don't see what the big deal is... it is just more comfortable in the sense that you aren't always worried that you will go over the speed limit and get pulled over.. you are more worried about your actual driving..
      08-17-2010, 06:34 PM   #28
TTexan
Verizon Expert
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 JB 335i

Found this excerpt on a website for rules to the Autobahn. Seems like this is a hard one for people to grasp (due to talking on a cell phone/being too old/women):

"Slower vehicles must move to the right to allow faster traffic to pass, and drivers should stay in the right lane except to pass. When passing, you must do so as quickly as possible, and it's in your best interest to do so lest you become a hood ornament on that Porsche that was just a speck in your mirror a second ago and now is close enough for you to see the look of distain on the driver's face."
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2010, 06:57 PM   #29
samwoo2go
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwww View Post
The whole idea of speed limits needs to be reworked. Isn't the root of the speed limit a concern for safety? Are speed limits fair?

Where speed "limits" are treated as if they were speed "minimums" they already are ineffective in their ability to regulate speed. Try just going at or under the limit. All the other drivers will be pissed. So, any stop for speeding is a judgement call from law enforcement.

It would make better sense to endorse drivers and their vehicles according to their ability to drive without endangering others or themselves.

If my car has a top speed of 155 mph and I'm driving on a long and deserted stretch of highway, while my driving ability, and other conditions would make it essentially safe to go over 100 mph, then why shouldn't I? Because aerial surveillance will send a patrol car after me? We all should know that to be the real reason. It is not really a safety issue.

You should have some electronic signal you can turn on when you are going to want to drive at speeds that might generate a wreckless driving stop. Law enforcement could intercept that signal and see that your individual endorsements show you to have the training, testing, properly equiped car in good repair, compared with your driving record, road conditions, traffic, weather, etc.

People will seek out better driver training. They will avoid being wreckless.

Drivers would not always be fined for infractions, but probably be required to take a class, or a test. They might need to just slow down in the junk car they drive.

I would bet that cops and drivers would have more sensibility in dealing with one another. And as a motorist, you would have a better chance if you were unreasonably cited to be able to have a judge reconsider the claim.

It should be a crime if a police department sets a quota for their traffic cops. It should not be profitable for police departments to issue citations.

This came to mind because of this ridiculous story.

Done with rant.
Im sorry, I love speeding but this is just fucking dumb for so many reasons
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 02:09 AM   #30
Comet
Troll Harder
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3, 997 4 GTS, X6M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatjoez View Post
lol so where exactly does the "let me go whatever speed I want cause I'm a top driver" argument,
account for the person who's going to run a red light and hit you side on as you drive through an intersection?
I fail to understand how no speed limits on highways and running a red light are related... I don't think anyone mentioned throwing all the laws out the door

Quote:
Originally Posted by talisman311 View Post
I can't speak on Lebanon, but comparing the US to Germany is apples to oranges. It takes thousands of dollars to obtain a German driver's license, with many more hours of instruction. Cars cost more if I'm not mistaken and also undergo stringent inspection biannually. German drivers are also mindful of other drivers on the road; they move over if a faster/superior car is behind them and they don't coast slowly in the left
lane.

Compare that to here.. we don't even have mandatory safety inspections in some states.
Well similarly to Germany, cars are ridiculously expensive in Lebanon and cars need to undergo a check every year (unless the car is brand new from the dealer, then you get 3years of no checking).. problem is that a lot of people don't get their car checked.. but if they get pulled over at a checkpoint, their car is impounded...

left lane is the over take lane, and cops can give people tickets for lingering in there.. how many tickets before people get the point?
also all those speeding ticket fines can be replaced by the annual car check up.. also the Autobahn is not no speed limit all the time.. there are patches where there is a speed limit.. they can ticket people there and within the city... the system works!

Germany is one of the richest countries in the world..
      08-18-2010, 02:28 AM   #31
DarkRider23
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 201 335i xDrive

Tickets are a billion dollar industry. No speed limits would mean that their industry would take a huge hit. Something that the government won't do any time soon. If we could get something like the Autobahn set up, it would be awesome, but I don't see that happening.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 02:34 AM   #32
Comet
Troll Harder
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3, 997 4 GTS, X6M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkRider23 View Post
Tickets are a billion dollar industry. No speed limits would mean that their industry would take a huge hit. Something that the government won't do any time soon. If we could get something like the Autobahn set up, it would be awesome, but I don't see that happening.
how do the Germans compensate?
      08-18-2010, 03:59 AM   #33
DarkRider23
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 201 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comet View Post
how do the Germans compensate?
By being one of the most heavily taxed countries in the world. I believe they are only second to Belgium.
Appreciate 0