BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

09-07-2011, 02:46 PM   #23
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman10 View Post
I'm sorry, but you're not likely to get a response. I'm sure that any modification capable of disabling BMW assist would also void your warranty in some way, shape or form. But good luck
No sorry

You seem to feel that one's warranty is able to be voided easily..

if i complain about something electrical in the trunk, or Bluetooth, or something related to that fuse/connector, than they are not liable to fix it but only if they can prove that that specific connector caused the issue(s)

It is not that easy to get your warranty voided.
and if anything, only that specific part is no longer covered, or you'll be flagged.
and in many cases, the dealer will just avoid fixing it and you are free to let the problem be, or try your luck at a different dealer

(to make a quick scenario: you put coilovers on your car and complain about suspension noise. bmw will most likely not look at it.
however, you modify your BMW assist connector thing...but you complain about suspension (and your suspension is stock), then the dealer will look at the suspension. Make sense?)

Nonetheless, dealership/warranty if of no concern for me.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 02:54 PM   #24
ManAndMachine
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80M3 BG KO, '17 Taco Pro

Why not just pull the fuse day before the track day? Should be easy I would imagine,no harder than putting on road wrap

The module for assist,should be on the left side of the trunk.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 04:58 PM   #25
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by stega View Post
What he means is that if you track your car and get in an accident bmw assist will immediatley be contacted and know your exact location (the track).
You forgot to add it dials 911, so the police (and insurance company) will have the exact location as well. BUT, airbag deployment is the trigger, so no airbag, no 911 call . And Persian54, EVERYBODY knows you're doing it for warranty and insurance purposes man, so tell that to your mother, not us .

Anyway, if you just want to disable it on trackdays, pull the darn fuse once there and call it a day. You shoudn't be on the freaking phone (even BT) on a track . And after warranty is over, it'll be automatically disabled... unless you want to pay to the wazoo to keep it active. Good day gang.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 05:15 PM   #26
goto35
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 12 m3 cars in 14 years :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
No sorry

You seem to feel that one's warranty is able to be voided easily..

if i complain about something electrical in the trunk, or Bluetooth, or something related to that fuse/connector, than they are not liable to fix it but only if they can prove that that specific connector caused the issue(s)

It is not that easy to get your warranty voided.
and if anything, only that specific part is no longer covered, or you'll be flagged.
and in many cases, the dealer will just avoid fixing it and you are free to let the problem be, or try your luck at a different dealer

(to make a quick scenario: you put coilovers on your car and complain about suspension noise. bmw will most likely not look at it.
however, you modify your BMW assist connector thing...but you complain about suspension (and your suspension is stock), then the dealer will look at the suspension. Make sense?)

Nonetheless, dealership/warranty if of no concern for me.
first you have terrible English.

second, your first post to last post you are contradicting each other.

tell us the purpose for disabling your assist?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 07:34 PM   #27
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jateshk View Post
first you have terrible English.

second, your first post to last post you are contradicting each other.

tell us the purpose for disabling your assist?
Do excuse me for not having proper English at all times, especially when I am in a rush

I asked a question, I got an answer, end of thread.

Also, what is it to you (and anyone else) WHY I ask such a question?

It is none of your business as the reasoning would not help answer the question.

Now, if my reasoning behind a certain question (whatever that question may be), helps myself/others/etc to come up with an adequate answer, than yes, the reasoning behind the question is extremely important and should be revealed.

However, in this instance, the question at hand (How can you disable BMW Assist?), knowing the reasonings behind this question are irrelevant.

It's like someone asking "Which Xpipe makes more power?!?!"

Well, WHY do you ask this question? Why do you want more power? For what purpose do you feel you need this power? The M3, stock, has over 400 horsepower to the crank; is this power insufficient for you?

WHY someone wanting extra power does NOT answer the question at hand (that question being "Which Xpipe makes the more power?")

Now, if the question at hand was say: "Which exhaust system is the best?!?"

Then well... you need to ask the op the reasoning for such a question.
When he mentions "best," does he mean 'loudest'?
Does he mean "lightest"?
Does he mean most expensive?

etc etc etc...
I feel I made my point...

Anyways, I got my answer to my question.
Thank you those who helped answer my question, I just need to ask my tech which fuse it is and how to access it quickly and easily

You're right in that I won't even need BT while dreaming that I am at the track

To clarify though, warranty is of no concern for me.

With my dream M3, I can go and put a blower on it, I can go into the dealer and get engine work done under warranty
let's just leave it at that shall we?
Anything is possible in dreams after all
Or dreams within a dream
or a dream within a dream within a dream

Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 08:08 PM   #28
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
^ This makes no sense. You asked about how to turn it off because you don't wanna be located if anything happens to your car on the track. Your words not ours. Although you cleverly disguise it as being a dream - wow, you have us folded.

I also like how you asked on a public forum, and when people ask you about it...all over sudden it is none of our business - well done.
FYI I'm not trying to fool anyone.
But, as many know, BMW NA does indeed monitor public forums.
Thus, as long as one does not state what he is doing, what he may do, or what he may plan to do, than he is free from prosecution...more or less. I don't want to get into detail about it etc etc as it's meaningless.
I know of a couple of cases where 335i owners had their warranties jeopardize due to openly admitting to have a tune on their vehicle.
Let's just end it there.

Next, can you please explain to me why my reasoning (yes I may have made a mention of the track in the original post, and I would have edited it, though I was quoted thus no reason to edit it.. I did this to explain why, though I was not required to do so, i did so cause I knew people would ask. Ironically, although it was briefly (not in detail) stated..people continued to ask), whatever that reasoning may be, has anything to do with the answer of "How can you disable BMW Assist?"

Can you please tell me why one would want to disable BMW Assist has any correlation to how one does it?

Hypothetically, EVEN IF one wanted to do something that may be 'wrong' in one person's point of view, why would that have ANY influence on the question at hand?
To get back to the xpipe reference... putting a catless exhaust 'destroys' the environment, plus it's not street legal, it smells disgusting at red lights potentially causing discomfort to those around you.
So by that, wouldn't answering questions about catless xpipes and how they increase power substantially 'wrong'? and that we should not answer those questions?

If you noticed, I repeated my point in a couple of different ways so that hopefully the point can be addressed and answer (if anyone cares to do so), and not have the topic changed etc.

I still do not understand why the issue of warranty came into place by one asking to disable BMW Assist except with in the sense that that part ('that' being the fuse/connector/etc connected to BMW Assist) would (more than likely) no longer be covered

Anyways, I'm tired of this, I have no more opinions on this matter.
If my above questions are answered/clarified, I'll be glad to read them, but there is no point in going on further.

This thread went off topic immediately and stayed off topic except for a couple of helpful posts (and I appreciate those who made helpful posts).

Have fun going OT
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 08:40 PM   #29
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
^ Well, I never brought up the issue of warranty, since I believe it is a non-issue. I just suggested track insurance (dream track insurance) in case you wanna go for a (dream) track tour.

I think asking "why" is human nature, and we are all nosy f@cks that spend way too much time on message boards, so yeah, we are curious.

But you are correct, the "why" has very little to do with the actually question you've asked. But it is a risk you run into when posting question on a public forum.
Sorry the post wasn't exactly pointed specifically at you my fellow bimmerpost member, but at what had happened in the thread as a whole.

I do fully understand that 'why' is human nature, and for that reason I originally (though very briefly) mentioned my reasoning.

I just got frustrated/annoyed that it went so off topic with no real responses (until later) to the question at hand.

I guess for me, since I am rather active on this forum, it is an annoyance when a thread starts to go OT so quickly... or let alone go OT at all.
I understand if it's a generic question/well known question/opinion oriented question (like 'which exhaust is the best," or "what mods should i get if i have X to spend?")...but when the question at hand does not have any opinion related to it nor to it's possible answer, it gets slightly bothering that people start taking thing personal, arguing, etc instead of answering the question

Now, if the question has been answered and a solution has been met... well then IMO that thread is now over...so anything that goes OT is whatever (Sorry I'm tired so take my poor grammar and choice of vocabulary with a grain of salt) and I don't care

Anyways, i can notice that my typing is going downhill, so I'm just going to nap :P
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 09:22 PM   #30
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
furthermore, I am not referring to warranty, that is of no concern to me.
Please tell me you aren't talking about what is essentially insurance fraud then.

Quote:
But you are correct, the "why" has very little to do with the actually question you've asked. But it is a risk you run into when posting question on a public forum.
Bingo. Plus tracking responsibly is important to me. Our local track would be in some serious trouble if it was found that someone made an insurance claim for something that turned out to occur at the track!

Bottom line. DO not worry about BMW Assist reporting you to your insurer. Do the right thing and get track insurance. Furthermore, as you don't care about warranty, don't worry about competitive events.
      09-07-2011, 10:31 PM   #31
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
Please tell me you aren't talking about what is essentially insurance fraud then.
Nope

Also, please don't quote out of context etc :P

Strange, I said I would stop posting... but it's hard for me to not post when someone quotes me and asks me a question...

Anyways, this thread is over, the answer to the question has been revealed.

Mods, can you please close?
Thanks
Appreciate 0