BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

07-27-2009, 10:25 PM   #1
fpblue
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 Jerez Black E90

Good Track Tire?

I recently bought the OEM 18s and plan to use them as a track wheel. What tires do you guys recommend for track use? I want a good tire, but I do not want to spend a fortune replacing them after every use. Keep in mind that I will be doing High Performance Driver Education events and things like that. I will not be racing competitively. Thanks, guys.

Is it wise to get a cheaper tire for the track? Do you guys trust the Hankook and Kumhos of the world? The last thing I need is a blowout on a fast turn.
      07-27-2009, 10:44 PM   #2
foosh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E93

Without question, Hoosier R6s, if, as you said, you're looking for a "track tire." Any decent performance tire (even street) is going to be relatively expensive, and wear out pretty quickly on the track.
      07-28-2009, 12:11 AM   #3
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lemans Blue M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by foosh View Post
Without question, Hoosier R6s, if, as you said, you're looking for a "track tire." Any decent performance tire (even street) is going to be relatively expensive, and wear out pretty quickly on the track.
+1

Purpose-built D.O.T. approved R-compound 'track tires' (like the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup) are going to wear out fast.

R-compound tires uses a much softer rubber compound, compared to the harder and more durable rubber compound used in your typical high performance street tire. This is why 'track tires' wear out so quick.

They are very 'sticky' on the track (once you get the tires up to their proper operating temps), but they will wear out much faster than street tires if you push them hard.

One other thing to consider...

R-compounds are also dangerous for use on the street, due to their poor wet weather performance. The chances of hydroplaning (and spinning out of control) is increased substantially with this type of tire.
      07-28-2009, 12:49 AM   #4
Eugene-TAIWAN
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe

I suggest to have 2 sets of wheels.

1 for track use R compound I only used the toyo R88 mainly because it has a lot of sizes to choose from. But they are very very loud.

2. everyday use. which you can choose a sticky type of compound and will last like NT-05&RE-11

Past: Gintani stage3 M3, Cayman GTS
present: Porsche 993RWB, 964RS America,996 cupcar, 964 turbo 3.6,Macan Turbo,997GT2,930 turbo,i3, MINI JCW
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2009, 12:01 PM   #5
david @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

It really depends... Do you have wheels 100% dedicated for the track? Or are you using your daily driving wheels/tires for the track as well? If you just have one set of wheels/tires, then you might have to look into a tire, like stated above, that will work on the road as well like the Yokohama AD08's.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2009, 04:17 PM   #6
boostedtwin
Sheriff
Rep
Drives: spyder, Macan GTS, 4xe Rubicon

Garage List
07 335i  [0.00]
07 335i  [0.00]
For stock 18's if you only want to have one set and use it as a DD go with the NT05.
      07-28-2009, 05:09 PM   #7
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
R6s? You guys are nuts unless the OP is driving in the top group and looking for that last second and planning take a set of drivers so he doesn't puncture his Hoohoos or hydroplane off the highway on the way there. R6=$$$ and short "real" lifespan. Sure you can drive them til the indicators are gone but they're not fast after X heat cycles. You also need to be fast enough to work the tires to temp or they'll be no faster than R888, NT-01, RA1, MPSC whatever.

Go with NT-01s, cheaper than those mentioned here, last a long time, wear to the bone, and have enough tread to get your there and back, drive wet sessions and look like a hero.

Also consider the Direzza, Kumho XS, NT-05 etc., the new batch of near R tires look fantastic. I was at the track test when Grassroots Motorsports did their latest test, the driver raved about the new crop of tires, check out the article.

Last edited by consolidated; 07-28-2009 at 05:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2009, 05:25 PM   #8
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

If you are just beginning, don't go with slicks. NT-01s would indeed be good to start on. I hear you can't heat cycle them out...

There is a thread on r-compound experiences here:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278244
      07-28-2009, 09:11 PM   #9
foosh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E93

This is what the OP said:

Quote:
I recently bought the OEM 18s and plan to use them as a track wheel.
Since he mentioned a dedicated set of track wheels and tires, that was the basis for recommending R6s, which are not slicks, technically. He asked for "track tire" recommendations. Even a beginner will get max grip on those tires in warm, dry, track conditions, once they are properly warmed up. Never, never use them on the street or wet conditions.

I agree that someone new to the track does not need R6s and perhaps a better alternative is to buy a cheaper, ultra-high performance summer tire to learn on. However, he did not say he was a novice.